Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 qx56 with 240,000 km on it now. I've owned it for a little more than 3 years and hoping to keep it for another 3.

I recently checked the transmission fluid and it's now light brown. Looks like clean engine oil.

I'm interested in changing fluid on my tranny, transfer case and both diffs.

Doing reading online and there's alot of conflicting opinions on fluids and procedures to follow.

Firstly the tranny, I called my local Nissan dealer looking for Matic j fluid. It's 14.99 per 1 litre jug or I could get Valvoline maxlife synthetic 1 gallon jug (almost 4 litres for $39) and it's Matic j compatible. Just wondering people's opinions on this.

For the tranny I'm just planning on doing a drain and fill a few times. Should I just remove the drain plug or should I drop the pan the first drain and replace the filter and clean off the magnet also and replace the pan gasket??

I believe the transfer case takes the same tranny fluid so if there's anything specific about that other than drain and fill please let me know.

There also seems to be some debate on what fluid to use on the transfer case, front and rear diffs. And is there anything more to it then remove drain plug, drain, fill and replace plug?

Specific torques or sealant required on drain plugs??

Any advice would help to a can complete this preventative maintenance and keep the truck well maintained for the next few years with no issues hopefully.

Thx!!

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
Just FYI, Matic S now supersedes Matic J.

If I were still under warranty, I would tend to stick with Matic S just in case anything happened, they couldn't come back and say you used something other than what they spec.

But you are out of warranty, so you are free and clear of that. Plenty of folks use brands such as Amsoil, Royal Purple and I personally use Castrol import Multi Vehicle for my Tranny. One time I pulled the pan and cleaned the magnets, but after that I just do drain and fills.

For the transfer case on my 07 Armada, they spec Matic D, but again, Castrol Import Multi Vehicle states that it is compliant with Matic S and Matic D so it is also what I use for the transfer case.

For my front and rear diffs, I use SuperTech full synthetic 75w90. Each diff takes just shy of 2 quarts.

Get the maintenance PDF for your '10 QX56 here if you don't already have it so you can check to see where you need to replace crush washers on the drain plugs for your various fluids and find torque values, etc.

Here's the link to all sections of the service manual: Infiniti Service Manuals - NICOclub

After you change everything out, go for a test ride then be sure to check under the vehicle to see if you have any drips.

Last bit of advice... make sure you have the means to pump the fluid up into the diffs and transfer case fill holes. You don't want to realize that you don't have what you need after you drain something out and have no way to fill it back up.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Great reply. Ya it's very debated online. Some people use Valvoline or castrol on their trannys, others say it has to come from the dealership. Even tho I read if I'm not mistaken castrol makes their fluid and they slap Nissan on it so it's the same shit. But they someone uses a name brand and has slippage and everyone comments saying they should've used from the dealership. If I drop the tranny pan to clean the magnet do I have to change the filter and gasket???

And good point my other question I forgot to ask was what people use to pump the fluids into their diffs or transfer case? Thx

·
Premium Member
1,159 Posts
There is no filter, just a screen once you remove the transmission pan. I'd definitely install a new gasket; no point in removing the pan, cleaning it, refilling it with new fluid to have it leak and do it all over again.

Nothing wrong with Valvoline Maxlife. On my previous 04, I switched to Maxlife ATF at around 100K+ miles, for both the transmission and t-case. I sold it back in 2017 with about 205K+ miles and last time I spoke to my friend who bought my 04, closing in around 260-270K miles and still going strong.

For the differentials, you really can't go wrong with any of the synthetic gear oils from Mobil1, Castrol or Valvoline.

·
Premium Member
925 Posts
And good point my other question I forgot to ask was what people use to pump the fluids into their diffs or transfer case? Thx
You can use something like either one of these. The cheap spout with the yellow bottom... test fit it to your container before buying it as they are really cheap and don't always fit well. You can get them at Walmart or any auto parts store.
Keep in mind the bottles of engine oil and gear oil probably have different size spout openings.

The other one is an actual pump. You can get them at auto parts stores also. You may need an extra set of hands to help with that one.

This type may also be a good choice...

·
Premium Member
181 Posts
Great reply. Ya it's very debated online. Some people use Valvoline or castrol on their trannys, others say it has to come from the dealership. Even tho I read if I'm not mistaken castrol makes their fluid and they slap Nissan on it so it's the same shit. But they someone uses a name brand and has slippage and everyone comments saying they should've used from the dealership. If I drop the tranny pan to clean the magnet do I have to change the filter and gasket???

Idemitsu makes the OE oils for Nissan. They are very particular about the oils used and made for their vehicles. Idemitsu is a higher quality than mobil1 and some of the others.
I worked there and blended it. The engine oil I really like is the Subaru 5-30 synthetic. Our Nissan's love it. My 03 Xterra had valve lifter tick like crazy when I started it and when it got hot. Switched to Subaru synthetic and it never ticked again. The Subie stuff is a little better than the Nissan as it's made for turbos and takes heat better.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 7 of 7 Posts