Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 high mileage qx56. Approx 230k km.

I've had the vehicle about 3 years was at 175k when purchased. Upon purchase the dealership said they changed all fluids etc. Who knows if it's true just what I was told.

Anyways just checked my tranny fluid for the first time. I'm a bit concerned because it's not red. It's a light brown, similar to brand new engine oil. No smell and clean and clear just not red. And because of the mileage I'm hesitant to get a flush or change the fluid.

Looking for some advice. Thx

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
You can just drain some out and put back the same amount rather than a flush. There are several threads here about this but the gist of it is - if you open the tranny pan drain you'll get 3-4 quarts out. I used a graduated Home Depot paint bucket to catch and measure it. Then put back in (through the dipstick tube) the exact same amount - e.g 3.5 q out 3.5 q in. It is a good idea to measure at the dipstick too - to make sure it is right. But is should be if it was properly filled in the first place.

If you do that 3 or 4 times - with some mileage, maybe a week of driving, in between each drain and fill - you'll have 99% new fluid.

I always use Nissan spec fluid. Despite the mileage - this is what I would do in your place - good ATF is the key to long tranny life.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Thx for the advice.... Ya with a high mileage tranny I was nervous about a flush or changing all the fluid
Draining and replacing the fluid should have zero negative impact on the transmission, and it's pretty easy/cheap to do.

There's some anecdotal tales of flushes (the real pressurized flushes) being bad, in general, for knocking loose otherwise stable detritus loose which can clog up one the the 12,000 tiny ports inside the valve body... where the black magic happens.

·
Premium Member
354 Posts
Should I also change the tranny filter?
The transmission filter is a metal screen, so if you choose to drop the pan you can access the filter, clean it, and reuse it. From what I gather in previous posts from people that have dropped the transmission pan the filter is only going to grab big chunks of stuff. If you don't see any solid stuff in the old fluid you probably don't need to worry about it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts