Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 armada titanium 4wd. I notice the truck does keep my optima red top pretty low charge. I am planning to do the aluminum foil tape trick to address that, but honestly there are week where I never drive the thing. Question is I know the driver's side 12v port is an always on port. So long as I get a solar tender that plugs into a standard 12v cigarette port is there anything Nissan has built into the truck that will prevent it from keeping the battery charged that way.

I know I would need to disconnect it when driving and that is why I want to avoid running cables under the dash to not need to pop the hood Everytime I drive it while juggling 3 kids into car seats.

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
If your battery is getting weak after a week or so of sitting, you need a new battery. Any kind of trickle charger is only going to be a bandaid.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I don't disagree, something is drinking juice but I don't have time to check that at the moment and the battery is a 2 month old optima red top.

That said I am more interested in is Nissan prevents charging through the driver side 12v cigarette port so I can apply that bandaid until I have time to track down the leak.

·
Super Moderator
4,918 Posts
I cant tell you what to do but i know people have done this before.

On the qx i run an odyssey battery and with all the electronics and sensors on these cars now they can put a slow , parasitic drain on your battery.

What ive done is connect a battery jump box to the obd port using a dedicated 12V cigar male end attached to the jump box and the obd port male end for the obd. There are only 2 pins (if memory serves) that use the 12V/ground, this keeps the battery topped off.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sweet so it will take the 12v cigarette charger. Will buy a solar tender tonight probably the 5w NOCO one unless research points me at a better one. Hopefully I can find that parasidic draw but not likely to have time for the next few months.

·
Premium Member
3,203 Posts
I cant tell you what to do but i know people have done this before.

On the qx i run an odyssey battery and with all the electronics and sensors on these cars now they can put a slow , parasitic drain on your battery.

What ive done is connect a battery jump box to the obd port using a dedicated 12V cigar male end attached to the jump box and the obd port male end for the obd. There are only 2 pins (if memory serves) that use the 12V/ground, this keeps the battery topped off.
Is it charging through the 12V plug, or through the OBDII port?

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Oh, good call. The noco does have the charge through odbii option though with another cable. Oh well guess I will report back on if it is charging through that cigarette port or if I need to buy the cable adapter to do it (another $15 but eh the solar system was $50 and if it saves another $200 battery purchase then money well spent)

·
Super Moderator
4,918 Posts
Is it charging through the 12V plug, or through the OBDII port?
I use a solar plug that connects to a jump box. I plug it up into the obd port overnight. It charges through the 12 V wiring through the obd. It’s low current and ive done this for years and years and not had an issue. Sometimes ill keep it plugged up for a couple days if the car isn’t going to be driven. Never had an issue.

I don’t do this often but when it’s colder ill sometimes do this if the car sits for a day or so...

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Happy to report with the 5w solar charger/battery tender plugged into the driver's side cigarette lighter battery is keeping around 12.6v so problem bandaided until I can figure out where I am leaking voltage from

1 - 9 of 9 Posts