Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

2010 solar battery tender

3K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  jblountak 
#1 ·
I have a 2010 armada titanium 4wd. I notice the truck does keep my optima red top pretty low charge. I am planning to do the aluminum foil tape trick to address that, but honestly there are week where I never drive the thing. Question is I know the driver's side 12v port is an always on port. So long as I get a solar tender that plugs into a standard 12v cigarette port is there anything Nissan has built into the truck that will prevent it from keeping the battery charged that way.

I know I would need to disconnect it when driving and that is why I want to avoid running cables under the dash to not need to pop the hood Everytime I drive it while juggling 3 kids into car seats.

#2 ·
If your battery is getting weak after a week or so of sitting, you need a new battery. Any kind of trickle charger is only going to be a bandaid.

Reactions: marctronixx
#3 ·
I don't disagree, something is drinking juice but I don't have time to check that at the moment and the battery is a 2 month old optima red top.

That said I am more interested in is Nissan prevents charging through the driver side 12v cigarette port so I can apply that bandaid until I have time to track down the leak.

#4 ·
I cant tell you what to do but i know people have done this before.

On the qx i run an odyssey battery and with all the electronics and sensors on these cars now they can put a slow , parasitic drain on your battery.

What ive done is connect a battery jump box to the obd port using a dedicated 12V cigar male end attached to the jump box and the obd port male end for the obd. There are only 2 pins (if memory serves) that use the 12V/ground, this keeps the battery topped off.

#6 ·
Is it charging through the 12V plug, or through the OBDII port?

#7 ·
Oh, good call. The noco does have the charge through odbii option though with another cable. Oh well guess I will report back on if it is charging through that cigarette port or if I need to buy the cable adapter to do it (another $15 but eh the solar system was $50 and if it saves another $200 battery purchase then money well spent)

#10 ·
Just ensure that the battery charger you got has a diode in it to stop current from going the other way...I had a solar charger from a well known solar company, but there was no diode in it, so whenever the sun wasn't shining it would actually draw current off the battery...I ended up killing two really nice batteries that I left in long term storage, before I figured out it was the charger that was killing them...but this is really great info otherwise...thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.