Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I've owned my 2011 Nissan Armada Platinum for about a year and the rear air suspension is bad on both sides (I'm presuming). I've never heard an air compressor of any sort kick on, so to be honest I didn't knew it existed. To all of you suspension experts out there, is there a conversion kit that you'd suggest (at multiple price points)?

I've seen Strutmasters website, also a kit from 1aAuto.. I'm assuming I have the auto-leveling on my Armada!? If I do, is it as simple to remove it as installing the coils and new gas shocks in the rear??

I'm just beginning my research on trying to replace this, and appreciate any help I can get.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
185 Posts
I would try looking into what the problem is 1st. It might be something simple. Or... Someone may have gotten rid of it before you bought it. The rear would be pretty sagged looking if it isn't pumped up and operating properly.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This might be a stupid question.., but where is the air compressor located on the 2011 Armada Platinum?

I can see that the 'bags' or whatever they are called on the air shock are deflated, but do not appear to be cracked or damaged..

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Delete the air ride. I just replaced mine with Bilstein rear shocks and MOOG 81085 springs. If you don't want to or can't do it find a shop that will. Your truck will ride so much better. Also replace the front with Bilstein too best upgrade you can do to this vehicle.

If you're interested I'll get you a list of part numbers.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I'd appreciate that list of part numbers for sure. I would be looking to install all of these myself to save some money. What kind of price range would this run me?

What did you do with the air lines after you replace it with the new shocks in the rear?

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
The air compressor hangs off the rear of the car, covered by a canvas/fabric material - pretty easy to spot if you slide under the back.

Since you don't hear it kick on, try checking the fuses first. Then, there are two relays around the battery - mine were mounted behind the headlight/in front of the battery tray. One is for the 4wd system, the other for the suspension. Try swapping them and see if you can hear the compressor run and if the 4wd still functions.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Swapping them won't cause any harm or damage to the vehicle? I'd prefer not to change things around if I have a choice.

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Taped over the ends and ziptied them up somewhere safe. Parts will run you approximately $400-600, probably. It truly is the best upgrade you can make to this vehicle. That air ride system is terrible it will ride so much nicer.

·
Premium Member
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So far I've added items on Summit Racing and this is what I've got:

Bilstein BSN-24-276801 (2)

Moog Coil MOG-81085 (2)

I'm trying to find the best place to purchase these coil spring rubber seat: 55036-7S000

Looking to cost me about $300.

I'm sorta sick of trying to figure out what is wrong with this air suspension system...lol. I'm just going to pull the trigger and install these.

I probably should just check the two relays though...

·
Premium Member
31 Posts
Bilstein 24-197656 - Front shocks
Bilstein 24-276801- Rear shocks
Moog 81085 Rear Constant Rate Rear Coil Springs

Search these forums for rear suspension problems, everyone who has it has problems or will eventually have problems. Mine was completely replaced with OEM when I bought it and it lasted 3.5 years. Unless you replace the whole system I can pretty much guarantee you will have problems with them and even after replacing they don't last long and the ride is inferior to the bilstein combo I have.

I was able to reuse the rubber seat.

The dealer jacked me around for about 2 months before they finally replaced the whole thing and it lasted 3.5 years and at that point I just said screw it and deleted the air ride.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
So far I've added items on Summit Racing and this is what I've got:

Bilstein BSN-24-276801 (2)

Moog Coil MOG-81085 (2)

I'm trying to find the best place to purchase these coil spring rubber seat: 55036-7S000

Looking to cost me about $300.

I'm sorta sick of trying to figure out what is wrong with this air suspension system...lol. I'm just going to pull the trigger and install these.
I got to the same point with my 2005 LE. Ended up swapping for the SE springs from AC Delco and a set of shocks from Amazon. Ride is as good if not better than the air system. Absolutely no regrets.

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
I probably should just check the two relays though...
Swapping them around has no issue. If the suspension relay is burned out and you swap them - then the 4wd will stop working (will throw the 4wd error light in auto/4H) and the air compressor will kick on. Swap them back and everything will go back to how it was.

In my case, both were burnt out and I found out as I fixed my 4wd problem.

The below video shows the location of both the compressor and the relays.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Delete the air ride. I just replaced mine with Bilstein rear shocks and MOOG 81085 springs. If you don't want to or can't do it find a shop that will. Your truck will ride so much better. Also replace the front with Bilstein too best upgrade you can do to this vehicle.
Is yours a 4wd or Rwd?

Will the Moog 81085 work on a 2010 4wd QX56? I need to delete my air, but want to make sure I order the correct parts. I see lots for Rwd but none for 4wd. Looking at doing Springs and Shocks. Any help is greatly appreciated

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
This might be a stupid question.., but where is the air compressor located on the 2011 Armada Platinum?

I can see that the 'bags' or whatever they are called on the air shock are deflated, but do not appear to be cracked or damaged..
I did the auto level delete with Moog springs 81085 and rancho 9000xl. I put Bilstein 4600 on front at same time. Just ordered Bilstein 4600 for rear as ranchos are way to soft even at highest setting. Ass of truck still bounces and sway like a boat.
I hope bilsteins stiffen rear end a bit.
I checked sway bars tonight they seam stiff and strong. Ranchos suck. Could not find bilsteins at time with right 14mm bolts but now available.

Big fan of bilsteins, put 4600 on my ram 1500 about 2 years ago. Solid.

Bils on front made a huge difference on mada.

Very dissapointed with ranchos

·
Registered
3 Posts

Can u shoot me the part list? I went with strutmasters and now after a year I’m back to the drawling board... I sure would appreciate it.

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Just a FYI. Strutmasters are just re-branded Monroe shocks which they mark up. Avoid them at all costs.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thank you all for this information.

I'm about to do the Moog Spring/Bilstein Rear Shock Swap and delete the air - ride.

My question: how do you disconnect the compressor? Disconnect from a fuse or is there a power wire into the compressor that should be unplugged?

What did you do with the compressor? Anything special to disconnect it from power?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Hello. I have the 2011 armada platinum. I'm doing the delete. I'm going Moog and Billstein. Question- Do I want springs for the rear as well and do I need spring insulators? How many?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts