Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning I have a 2011 Infiniti QX56. It has been in the shop since last Monday. I had a bad alternator and battery. When I went to pick my vehicle up the service light engine was on which that wasn’t on before and it was driving a little rough. So the mechanics took a deeper dive and they’re saying that my cylinder #5 is the issue. I can still drive my SUV but they’re saying that they usually don’t fix one cylinder so they would rather replace the entire engine. My insurance company feels this may not be necessary and so do I. Has anyone else had an issue with cylinder #5 on your vehicle. It is drivable, I just don’t want necessary repairs being done when it could be a simple fix. Any suggestions?

·
Administrator
6,194 Posts
hello and welcome. lets get some more info.

did you just buy the car or have you had it since new? if you purchased used, when did you get it?
whats the mileage?

if you purchased used, was it from a dealer? does it have maintenance records?

if purchased used from a private party, can you reach out to the last owner and ask if there were any issues?

there was an issue with the oil jets on certain model year qx's resolving in a recall. did your car have that recall done?

the shop you had it into -- was it an infiniti dealer or some shade tree/3rd party?
have you taken the car for a 2nd opinion?

if the check engine lamp is on, that means there should be some codes. did the shop print out the codes or no?

if you dont have the codes, stop off at an autozone and ask them if they can scan your obd port so you can see the codes you have. this is a necessary first step to se what could be causing your issues.

in terms of #5 cylinder... that could mean a misfire and that can cause you some engine damage if its not fixed. a misfire can cause issues with your cats and potentially 02 sensors downstream. you can have unburnt fuel passed into the exhaust and you could hear backfires. you may also experience rough idling and smelling fuel in your exhaust. also your mileage may suffer.

what could be the cause?

faulty coil packs
faulty spark plugs
dirty fuel injectors
carbon buildup (this is a DI engine)
vacuum leaks
poor compression ( the second gen qx has a high compression engine)
camshaft and cam position sensors. if these are faulty , they could cause improper reading sent to the ECM.

in short, it sounds like one of the P030X codes, ,where "X" is the number of the cylinder. you can search the forum to see what others have encountered.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Good morning I have a 2011 Infiniti QX56. It has been in the shop since last Monday. I had a bad alternator and battery. When I went to pick my vehicle up the service light engine was on which that wasn’t on before and it was driving a little rough. So the mechanics took a deeper dive and they’re saying that my cylinder #5 is the issue. I can still drive my SUV but they’re saying that they usually don’t fix one cylinder so they would rather replace the entire engine. My insurance company feels this may not be necessary and so do I. Has anyone else had an issue with cylinder #5 on your vehicle. It is drivable, I just don’t want necessary repairs being done when it could be a simple fix. Any suggestions?
Was this an actual Infiniti/Nissan service center or local repair shop? Be proactive and have that shop own up to their repair or from what it seems, lack of knowledge in repairing your truck.
When the battery is disconnected, especially for an extended amount of time, there are several reset steps necessary before actually starting the truck up that requires the use of a full range diagnostic tool.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
If you had no CEL light before taking the truck in then you need to point that out to them. Sounds to me like that shop want to milk you for money if they cant diagnose the actual problem . I highly doubt the one cylinder is bad. suddenly. I would run from that place if they want to replace your engine

And if you keep driving it with a missfire you can end up damaging your catalytic converter ,and that will be expensive.

·
Registered
15 Posts
That all sounds crazy suspicious. I would stop dealing with those people right now and take it to anyone else and see what they say.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts