Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've seen a lot of information on this site regarding the pcv, valve covers, and even a case where a piston was cracked.

We literally just stumbled across this armada and bought it in Memphis TN. After driving it for a week, we noticed a light smoke at start up. Then it processed to a plume.

Over the weekend I've changed the PCVs out and believe it or not it's made it worse. The old valves build up must have been working to keep some of the oil in the engine.

Also, burned through almost 3.5-4 qts of oil from Nov 22- Dec 2. Crazy.

We are talking to dealership about it now, as they want to see what's going on with it bc they disclosed to me that they had a radiator put on it. I am starting to feel like this thing got hot, and that's the root cause to all this head ache.

Has anyone had a plume this bad and it not been an engine replacement needed to solve the problem?

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
That does not look good, that's a lot of smoke (if it's not just condensation) and a lot of oil to be burning.

Tough to tell from the pic - but is the smoke white or does it have a blueish tint to it? Blue is oil and white is (usually) coolant. You can also tell by the smell - coolant smells sort of sweet.

Either way you are burning way too much oil (unless it is leaking externally) for that car to last like that. If you just bought it I would try to get out of that deal - too many potential problems.

If you're going to fix it I would start with the PCV system and a cylinder compression test.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I really can't tell if the smoke has any coloration. It appears very much white. However, there is no sweet smell. It smells like a chemical smell almost.. doesn't even smell like oil burning off..

We took it back to dealership today and the salesman was totally apologetic. They are having it diagnosed... I really want to trust these guys, but we did buy a warranty with it. Could always use it.. but I really don't feel I should be one fixing this thing.

·
Premium Member
3,294 Posts
That looks like a blown head gasket to me......

·
Premium Member
206 Posts
Keep us informed.

When did you buy it? Used car warranty laws vary by state. Study-up on your state's warranty laws. Maybe give your state attorney general a call just so that you are aware.

·
Premium Member
432 Posts
Good for you. Good example of why you want to immediately address these problems when dealing with a dealer or large company. And why you should get a private used car inspected before you buy it. A couple hundred bucks for a car inspection is well worth it.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a 2011 I bought used for a steal, same thing. White smoke at startup, ate up the oil. Had to replace the engine. Blown gasket if Im not mistaken. No other choice. Obviously, your previous owners were as abusive and neglectful as mine were. On the plus side, mine is a platinum, and the inside was in perfect condition. Flawless. I got a rebuilt engine through my nissan dealership.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I've seen a lot of information on this site regarding the pcv, valve covers, and even a case where a piston was cracked.

We literally just stumbled across this armada and bought it in Memphis TN. After driving it for a week, we noticed a light smoke at start up. Then it processed to a plume.

Over the weekend I've changed the PCVs out and believe it or not it's made it worse. The old valves build up must have been working to keep some of the oil in the engine.

Also, burned through almost 3.5-4 qts of oil from Nov 22- Dec 2. Crazy.

We are talking to dealership about it now, as they want to see what's going on with it bc they disclosed to me that they had a radiator put on it. I am starting to feel like this thing got hot, and that's the root cause to all this head ache.

Has anyone had a plume this bad and it not been an engine replacement needed to solve the problem?
View attachment 48172
[I agree with those that think this is coolant burning if more white than blue, but you only mentioned excessive oil consumption, there should be a significant loss of coolant if it is water burning. Did you monitor the coolant level also. But the supporting evidence is that it is burning oil, since you didn't mention any external leaks, so I conclude it is burning oil, I see that we may never know as it is no longer your problem]

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have this same issue! 2009 Armada. I took it to the dealer for diagnosis. I was told I need a new motor! The local Nissan dealer found a used motor for me at 6k. I told him I would be there shortly to pick up my armada, I was not willing to invest 6k in a vehicle of this age especially after I spent 70k on it new. They tried to tell me the vehicle had been neglected. Nice try. That was in August 2019. I still drive my Armada daily. But I was told that it was highly important that I replace the motor! Its now Feb 2020. I check the oil and fill up when needed. My dad is a backyard old school mechanic. From our research we have decided that it is either the Valve covers or the Valve guides. It blows a ton of white smoke on start up- 50% of the time. Does not push smoke on driving. We are about to take it all apart and solve the issue. I betcha its the valve guides. As my dad has stated the oil drips down through worn guides and then once burned off, no smoke while driving. If we end up putting a used motor in it, then we were wrong! I love the dang thing or I would trade it off. If I was a betting gal, I would put my money on my dad fixing the issue, Keep you posted. When you spend that kind of money on an SUV this shouldn't be an issue.

·
Super Moderator
5,222 Posts
motors age and parts wear out. it happens. there are some cats who have had he car for hundreds of thousands of miles with no issues of that nature. you are very fortunate that you have someone in your family who has the skills to keep your car running great!! if your popa has the time and tools, i agree with you that he will find the issue and get you squared. it's a good car. a reliable car. based on your message i think you also feel this way about you car too! :)

keep the class posted!

·
Premium Member
1,099 Posts
@Keri, the VK56 motors are notorious for white smoke as mileage accumulates on the engine. The most common cause is the design of the baffles inside the valve covers. Simply changing the valve covers (PCV valves included with new valve covers) fixes the issue. If your Armada was losing oil thru the valve guides/seals, the exhaust color is a very obvious blue/gray color, along with a strong, oil burning smell.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I will share a story of mine. Many years ago I was changing the oil on a car I had and thought I drained all the oil from the car and had just removed the oil filter. I then took a phone call which lasted too long, and I was side tracked. Came back to the car and filled up the oil and tightened the oil cap. Parked the car and had to run an errand several hours later. I headed out and got 2 miles down the road and was at a busy intersection. I was one of the first cars at the light with many other cars behind. Light went green and I was going not looking back and about a 1/4 mile down the road I looked into the rearview mirror only to see the biggest cloud of white smoke I've ever witnessed. Yep I over filled the car with oil... There happen to be a quick lube at the up coming light and I pulled in and paid the price to quickly have the techs drain and put new oil in. I was side tracked and made that mistake. All the cars that were at the light with me were no where to be found after I hit the gas. Lesson learned.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts