Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I live in AZ, so it gets hot. If it gets too hot inside the car, my AC stops working. The entire panel is dead and unresponsive, with the exception of the rear defrost button, which appears to work normally. The fan blows outside air on high. As it cools down inside some, the air velocity lowers. Typically if I am parked in shade and leave windows cracked, and the temperature stays under 110, it will keep working normally. If I park in direct sun and the temp gets into the high 90s, it dies. If it gets much over 110, it dies, either in the shade, windows cracked, whatever. Usually overnight, it cools off enough that the AC starts working again, and once it was a cool evening and driving with the windows down, it cooled down enough that it started working.

Any thoughts?

·
Super Moderator
5,558 Posts
Hello and welcome.

When you say the panel is dead and unresponsive, do you mean to say the lights/leds just shut off? Do the center display screen still show the temp readings?

Do you hear the compressor kicking in/out even though the controls are unresponsive?

Have you done any steps to troubleshoot? Had the system in for service ?

Has it ever worked normally? Can you change the temp from hot to cold?

Initial speculation sounds like you are super low on refrigerant , but you could have some issues with electrical wiring under a heavy load...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The LEDs, with the exception of the rear defrost do not light. Pushing the buttons has no noticeable effect. The fan blows at the level it has decided to blow. I don't hear anything from the compressor. I am not sure what troubleshooting to do. The first time it stopped, I thought fuse, but it coming back on confuses me. Figured I would try picking brains here before taking it to a shop. Typing this though, I'm wondering if heat can jack with a bad relay though, so I'll try that tonight.

It worked normally until summer got bad, and I bought it last spring, so no clue about last summer.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
The '13 I just bought has a similar issue. If outside temps get above the upper 80's, my a/c works great while I'm driving, but will get warm/hot if I stay parked for more than a couple of minutes. I haven't had the dash controls stop working yet though. Warmest it's been since I bought it was 104F.

My '04 never had this problem. Really hoping it's just a low refrigerant issue, but haven't had time to troubleshoot yet. Please let us know what you find out.

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Typically when the system doesn't cool well when slow or stopped it's due to either low freon or the condensor fan failing. There's obviously many more things that could be causing it, but those are probably the most common.

Reactions: marctronixx

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Long overdue update for anyone interested. I ended up in the hospital, then recovering for a good chunk of time so hadn't done anything with it. In that time, the temps outside cooled down, but the problem persisted and got worse. The air was pretty much always blowing, either from the start or after driving a few miles. I needed to get an emissions test and failed because OBD port wasn't responding. The manual wasn't crazy helpful on exactly which fuse would cover the OBD port, so I pulled a few to check that seemed likely. They were all fine. Ended up checking, and in doing so reseating all of my fuses. None were blown but reseating them all fixed the problem with my OBD port and my AC. It has been working normally for about 1 1/2 months.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts