Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I haven't seen many posts about this, so I figured I would share my experience. Lets start with two post install pics!

Happy to take more if people want to see something specific.

Installation:
The installation wasn't too difficult all things considered. There were of course a lot of wires to crimp together, but just keep track of everything and it will be fine (or you know...pay someone to do it. I got a few quotes of $200 from local shops to do that work). We did run into a few hiccups. First off, the buttons on the Metra kit got installed in the wrong spots at the factory. We ended up having to take them apart and move them around. After that, the kit worked just fine. We also had to cut a wire on the steering wheel control model, and this step was not listed in the directions. After that the steering wheel controls worked fine. All in all, probably took us 3-4 hours at a pretty casual pace.

What was lost:
So, this install was done on a "new to me" 2012 Armada Platinum after owning it for a month. I did "lose" a few things I have never used in that time. Here is what I know I lost:
  1. DVD audio...I think...I never used it before...I haven't used it since...I never plan to use it :)
  2. AUX Audio jack. There is a chance this could have been saved with some additional parts, but I have Android Auto now...who needs AUX?
  3. Compact Flash Cart: Yeah...no biggie here. We did however have to hot glue the slot cover back in so there wasn't just a hole in the dash. The Metra kit does NOT deal with this.
  4. Fuel Economy screen: So, its there, it just just WRONG. It keeps reporting a full tank will get me like 50 miles :) I know my Armada likes to drink, but not that bad! Note: this has no impact on the low fuel indicator in the instrument cluster. That still trips when you have a few gallons left like normal.
  5. Factory mic: we had to run the mic that came with the head unit.
Post Install Review:
Personally, this was worth the cost (both in terms of money, time, and what was lost). I wanted wireless Android Auto and I got exactly that in the end. The kit looks nice and feels nice. I will say the buttons are a bit less than stock quality, but not by much at all. Having only had the Armada for a month before hand made it easy to get used to the new button layout.

Unrelated to the Metra Stuff:
I bought a Pioneer DMH-W4660NEX to go along with the Metra kit. You could go cheaper for sure, but I wanted wireless Android Auto. The display is high resolution, bright when you wanted it to be, and the capacitive rather than resistive touch screen feels great. The pictures above don't show it well, but the difference between the two displays is staggering.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask!

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
@njgreb I have been contemplating this Metra Kit but have been worried about the reliability of the integration with the factory screen. How has your experience been now thats its been installed for a bit? Any issues with the HVAC controlls? Did you loose any of the factory pieces: steering wheel controls; Factory Menu and Options; Backup camera; ect... Did you originally have the Nav & Bose?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
@Cutaway it still works great. To your questions!
Did I have Nav & Bose: I sure did. Obviously lost factory Nav, but Google Maps is 4,000,000 times better. Also, sound has been great. Zero issues with the head unit talking to the Bose amp like some people (some car audio shops I called) implied I might.
Any issues with HVAC controls: Zero issues here. Things have just worked as it relates to HVAC.
Steering wheel controls: This does require an additional Metra module that I bought for the install. It continues to work just fine.
Factory Menu: I honestly don't recall what the stock one had at this point...but for what is there, tire pressure works fine. Fuel economy is broken like there is no tomorrow. It always reports I am getting like 2MPG...I know my Armada is thirsty...but it isn't that bad.
Backup camera: This part was really easy. In the Settings menu you just have to pick the right year/vehicle and it works great. Still shows on the top screen, so no need to integrate with it on the new head unit at all.

If you have any other questions or want any other pics just let me know. Happy to provide them.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
@Cutaway it still works great. To your questions!
Did I have Nav & Bose: I sure did. Obviously lost factory Nav, but Google Maps is 4,000,000 times better. Also, sound has been great. Zero issues with the head unit talking to the Bose amp like some people (some car audio shops I called) implied I might.
Any issues with HVAC controls: Zero issues here. Things have just worked as it relates to HVAC.
Steering wheel controls: This does require an additional Metra module that I bought for the install. It continues to work just fine.
Factory Menu: I honestly don't recall what the stock one had at this point...but for what is there, tire pressure works fine. Fuel economy is broken like there is no tomorrow. It always reports I am getting like 2MPG...I know my Armada is thirsty...but it isn't that bad.
Backup camera: This part was really easy. In the Settings menu you just have to pick the right year/vehicle and it works great. Still shows on the top screen, so no need to integrate with it on the new head unit at all.

If you have any other questions or want any other pics just let me know. Happy to provide them.
Thanks for the feedback!!! Now if i can just get the factory radio out :( I bought the vehicle used and when i originally went to pull the radio i discovered that the screws are stripped, not the head of the screw but the actual threads... Had to grab all the wires at the Factory amp...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Took a picture of the fuel economy to show how off it is. This was me driving down the highway.

·
Premium Member
230 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Nope, manually calculated MPG is just fine. This thing has reported bad MPG data from the moment it was installed and I have seen others comment on it too.

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
@njgreb - This has been some great info!! One thing i did forget to ask is when you replaced your factory radio where you able to retain the Back up/Parking Sensors? I'm not sure if the sound comes through the factory radio/speakers?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have the front and back sensors. Not sure if those go through the radio or something else (will have to pay attention next time) but they for sure still beep at me.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
How did you figure out you had to do that?
Had to call in and they told us this. It wasn't documented anywhere.

Do you have that part number?
Axxess ASWC-1 Steering Wheel Control Adapter

Have you contacted Metra about the fuel economy issue?
Note yet, but I am going to. The steering wheel controller reset itself, so I have to pop it all open to fix that, figured I would call before that to see if they have any thoughts.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts