Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a beautiful '12 QX56 and slapped some New Bridgestone Dueler HT D684II's on it. P275-50R22. Driving in the rain it seems to break totally free of traction on the highway often, hydroplaning I guess you could say. Very scary. And driving in even the lightest snow it's like driving on ice. I feel like I'm not in control of it at all. White knuckled drive to work several times lately. Prior to this I had a Tahoe and was solid as can be, and I know how to drive in the snow. I also tried turning off traction control and using the snow mode and neither made a different.

Does anyone else have this trouble? Is it at simple has just horrible tires, or could there be something much more technically wrong with my vehicle with traction control or something?

Thank you in advance for you feedback.

·
Premium Member
120 Posts
In my experience with work tahoes, in stock form, they run circles around armadas/qxs in snow.

·
Registered
237 Posts
2nd gen here.

We just did a week in western NC, snow every day for 5 days. Drove home in a white-out for the first 4 hours. Inches of fresh snow on the roads, unplowed and unsanded.

Rodian HT. Very unimpressive tires. They're also about 90% used up.

I let the Armada AWD do all of the work and only put it in 4hi twice getting out of the cabin driveway. While it's not what my 3rd gen 4runner was, it's pretty impressive for a 6k lb vehicle.

If anything, my one complaint is the ABS gives a very vague and unconfident feel when it engages. So much so that the pedal felt dead and I needed to pump it manually to feel like I was going to actually stop.

·
Registered
2015 Armada SV 4X4
3 Posts
Get the thing aligned. I bought a 2015 Armada a year ago and during the test drive, if you hit a bump on a turn, it felt like the rear end wanted to come loose. I asked the dealer to look at it and he gave me a print out that said everything was in alignment. So I thought it was bad shocks. Bought the vehicle, put new shocks and Michelins on it and no more breaking loose on turns. Fresh rubber will do that. This was my wife's car and she put 5000 miles on it and I then took it for a drive on a rainy day and was shocked to find out that, here again, going through a corner on the wet road that the rear end felt like it was breaking loose again, like on ice. Went to the nearest gas station and when standing at the rear noted that both rear wheels were leaning in at the top and the front edge of the wheel was pointing out and felt the tire treads and both inside treads were worn damn near to the threads. Got the vehicle aligned and the tech said the rear wheels were way off. Put on two new Michelins on the back and have driven through rain and snow without a trace of breaking loose. Had a front wheel drive car once and in the snow, it would want to slide all over the place. Got it aligned and problem solved.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Get the thing aligned. I bought a 2015 Armada a year ago and during the test drive, if you hit a bump on a turn, it felt like the rear end wanted to come loose. I asked the dealer to look at it and he gave me a print out that said everything was in alignment. So I thought it was bad shocks. Bought the vehicle, put new shocks and Michelins on it and no more breaking loose on turns. Fresh rubber will do that. This was my wife's car and she put 5000 miles on it and I then took it for a drive on a rainy day and was shocked to find out that, here again, going through a corner on the wet road that the rear end felt like it was breaking loose again, like on ice. Went to the nearest gas station and when standing at the rear noted that both rear wheels were leaning in at the top and the front edge of the wheel was pointing out and felt the tire treads and both inside treads were worn damn near to the threads. Got the vehicle aligned and the tech said the rear wheels were way off. Put on two new Michelins on the back and have driven through rain and snow without a trace of breaking loose. Had a front wheel drive car once and in the snow, it would want to slide all over the place. Got it aligned and problem solved.
I think you hit the nail on the head here. My tire shop told me the that rear was still a little bit out and they couldn't get it into spec after maxing out the cam bolt adjustments. Turned out to them a little was actually a lot - I had the same problem and all but ruined a new set of Dueller's on the inside edges just like you described in less than a month. So I put another set of tires on it (discounted by the shop) and took it to the Infinity deal to figure out the alignment problem. It needed all (4) control arms replaced in the back in order to get it back in spec. I actually don't have it back yet but I think this will solve my problem. After googling a lot lately on this it appears this is a not so uncommon problem with these for some reason. $2200 repair btw.

·
Registered
2015 Armada SV 4X4
3 Posts
I think you hit the nail on the head here. My tire shop told me the that rear was still a little bit out and they couldn't get it into spec after maxing out the cam bolt adjustments. Turned out to them a little was actually a lot - I had the same problem and all but ruined a new set of Dueller's on the inside edges just like you described in less than a month. So I put another set of tires on it (discounted by the shop) and took it to the Infinity deal to figure out the alignment problem. It needed all (4) control arms replaced in the back in order to get it back in spec. I actually don't have it back yet but I think this will solve my problem. After googling a lot lately on this it appears this is a not so uncommon problem with these for some reason. $2200 repair btw.
I hope this solves your problems. BUMMER about the 22 hundred dollar repair bill, but having a vehicle that you can have confidence in makes that cheap. Good luck!!

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
slapped some New Bridgestone Dueler HT D684II'
I think the tires are part of the issue. Last year, we needed to be winched out of two different parking spots when 3 inches of snow fell while we were in the mountains of NC. Don’t have 4WD, but the tires just lacked traction in the snow (one rear tire was new due to a unrepairable puncture, the other had 35k on it, but plenty of tread). I took a look at some tire reviews/test, and the HT D684II, generally comes in towards the bottom when compared with its peers, especially in the snow. Take a gander at tirerack.com

I’ve since replaced the the tires, but haven’t experienced snow again.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts