Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings all, new to the Infinity/Nissan world. Just purchased a '12 qx56 from my in laws, 134K on the clock. The rear suspension is currently squatting, had the mechanic look at it and he couldn't get the compressor to turn on with the scan tool. Is there a relay that is possibly bad as well? I have no issue buying a new compressor however I don't want to go down a rabbit hole.

I was also rearing about the suspension mod but that appeared to be only for 2wd. Mine is a 4wd.

Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2021 Nissan Armada SL
106 Posts
If my rear air suspension failed, I would convert to a non-air system. Strutmasters has some good kits - they are a reputable source, check them out. Here is a screen shot. If you're talking about the rear end, 2WD or 4WD shouldn't make a difference. Now the front will be different between 2WD and 4WD. When I lift mine, I'll convert to a non-air suspension and save alittle weight...

But check this out. I think $499 would be cheaper than new air-shocks (if they're failing) or a new compressor, etc.
Font Parallel Screenshot Outdoor shoe Rectangle

Reactions: marctronixx

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
@X556, I’d stay away from Strutmasters. Those shocks are nothing special; just rebranded, Monroe shocks with inflated prices.

Did you ask your mechanic if he reset the air leveling suspension?
There is a specific way, via the OE Infiniti service manual to diagnose, reset, relearn the rear air leveling suspension. The scan tool should’ve also picked up any DTCs related to any electrical controlled components on the air leveling system.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
@X556, I’d stay away from Strutmasters. Those shocks are nothing special; just rebranded, Monroe shocks with inflated prices.

There is a specific way, via the OE Infiniti service manual to diagnose, reset, relearn the rear air leveling suspension. The scan tool should’ve also picked up any DTCs related to any electrical controlled components on the air leveling system.
I’ve Also been reading that. I did not. He used a scan tool and said he couldn’t get the compressor to turn on via the tool. There is no lights on for the susp.

·
Registered
2021 Nissan Armada SL
106 Posts

Have you heard bad things about Strutmasters? We’re not looking for Icons or Kings, just a good reliable fix for a sagging suspension. Now, if their service sucks or if the parts fail, it’s a different story but I wouldn’t get hung up over a rebranded shock, many are.

·
Registered
Maryland, USA
43 Posts
I'd look into Bilstein B6 4600 shocks/ struts if available for that year of QX56 and would likely be about the same price and of much higher quality. I just replaced all four in my 2011 Armada with those and rear springs with Moog 81085 for about $600 in parts. Very happy, with the dampening and no more air shock sag.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'd look into Bilstein B6 4600 shocks/ struts if available for that year of QX56 and would likely be about the same price and of much higher quality. I just replaced all four in my 2011 Armada with those and rear springs with Moog 81085 for about $500 in parts. Very happy, with the dampening and no more air shock sag.
I like the sound of this. I’ll trouble shoot the air but if it too runs out the compressor is gone. I’ll go this route. Any issue with the truck throwing lights?

Also are either of the moog springs or bilsteins specific to the qx? Or is more of a universal part?

·
Registered
Maryland, USA
43 Posts
No issues. In fact, I haven't done anything other than plug and secure the existing air tubes that were connected to the shocks with plugs. I will eventually remove the compressor and the relay, but with the new springs raising the rear up higher than the trip point for the level sensor the compressor never runs. I am not towing at the moment, but when I eventually do i'll remove the compressor.

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
Have you heard bad things about Strutmasters? We’re not looking for Icons or Kings, just a good reliable fix for a sagging suspension. Now, if their service sucks or if the parts fail, it’s a different story but I wouldn’t get hung up over a rebranded shock, many are.
Going back years ago on this forum, a fellow member had opted for Strutmasters. He was disappointed in not only having paid a premium for their kit and finding out it was just Monroe shocks, it rode worse than what was already on his WA60.
My cousin had an 05 Navigator and he made the same mistake when the OE suspension went on his truck. He went with their kit and regretted itevery day until he was able to sell his truck.

In X556 case, I’d be more concerned because he has a 2nd gen, Z62. The actual kit for the Z62 even makes me doubt it more. The actual shock absorbers are wrapped in a second set of coil springs to go work with the larger coil springs. That alone tells me those rear SM shocks are weak to begin with.

I’ve contacted Bilstein and unfortunately, nothing on the table for the current Z62/Y62s. It took them years to finally release the 4600s for the WA/JA60s and can only hope a reliable option from Bilstein comes to fruition.

Reactions: Intubator

·
Registered
Maryland, USA
43 Posts
Not sure about parts specific for your vehicle, you'll have to do the research. I bought all four shocks and struts from 4X4parts as a package that was about $470. The springs from RockAuto were about $110, but the prices just went up to $135 for the same springs for some reason... I miss quoted my total, more like $600 not $500 as I previously posted.

Reactions: primoV8

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
I’ve Also been reading that. I did not. He used a scan tool and said he couldn’t get the compressor to turn on via the tool. There is no lights on for the susp.
When the compressor on my '14 QX80 went out, no lights up front. Once I plugged in my Autel MP tool and went into the E-SUS prompts, a C1803 DTC was showing as past and current.

Just like on the first gens, the air leveling compressor on these 2nd gen trucks have not changed or should I say improved in any way. When the solenoid valve inside the compressor begins to go bad, it just lets the air out continuously as it starts to seize up and stay open. Hence the C1803 DTC and sagging rear end of the truck.

·
Registered
2021 Nissan Armada SL
106 Posts
So, just a general question about the air-ride in the rear suspension of these vehicles, when I think about the spring rate of the actual coil spring and the weight distribution between the auto-leveling air shock and the actual coil spring, what do you think the balance of weight is? I assume air-shocks are different and support a portion of the load, right? Usually "shocks" are not load-bearing unless they are coilovers or auto-leveling, right? "Shocks" are meant to keep the ride consistent, keep the truck from bouncing up & down, and keep the tires in constant contact with the road - they're not load bearing. But, these auto-leveling air shocks are load-bearing, right? So, how much of the load do they bear. I'm just thinking about the ride quality and how to properly lift the rear suspension, when that day comes. If the coil wasn't designed to handle the weight of the rear on it's own, I'll need a stronger coil, right? Not just a factory replacement.

·
Premium Member
132 Posts
So, just a general question about the air-ride in the rear suspension of these vehicles, when I think about the spring rate of the actual coil spring and the weight distribution between the auto-leveling air shock and the actual coil spring, what do you think the balance of weight is? I assume air-shocks are different and support a portion of the load, right? Usually "shocks" are not load-bearing unless they are coilovers or auto-leveling, right? "Shocks" are meant to keep the ride consistent, keep the truck from bouncing up & down, and keep the tires in constant contact with the road - they're not load bearing. But, these auto-leveling air shocks are load-bearing, right? So, how much of the load do they bear. I'm just thinking about the ride quality and how to properly lift the rear suspension, when that day comes. If the coil wasn't designed to handle the weight of the rear on it's own, I'll need a stronger coil, right? Not just a factory replacement.
I wouldn't know the actual balance between the spring vs. shock but yes, you are correct that the air shock is load bearing and would need stiffer springs if you delete the air shocks.

Reactions: CBEllis

·
Registered
Maryland, USA
43 Posts
This is exactly correct. These shocks not only dampen suspension impacts but they are load bearing as well and because of this the rear spring rate on vehicles equipped with the "auto leveling" suspension is less. The Moog 81085 are the factory spring rate replacements for the Armada SV model which did not have the "auto leveling" rear suspension as an option, so those have a higher spring rate and are designed to be used with a regular shock absorber and are ideal replacements for those who wish to delete the air shock auto leveling option from their vehicles.

Reactions: CBEllis

·
Registered
12 Posts
can anyone on here recommend an suspension air compressor we can use with a 12 qx56?

Any input from anyone else?

·
Premium Member
1,441 Posts
If you're looking for a direct bolt-on compressor for the Z62, then OEM is the only option. I'm sure aftermarket air suspension compressors can be plumbed to work but that requires a bit more creativity to make it function as OEM.

Reactions: marctronixx
1 - 18 of 18 Posts