Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2013 Armada with 90k miles. Driving down from the mountains yesterday, the check engine light came on with error code P0300. We did a day of driving where we ascended then descended about 4000 ft (topped out at 8000 ft). The truck is running fine, with no indication of any issue; at idle, at speed etc. Driving down the hills, I used the lower gears to save the breaks. There was a bit of shifting between 3 & 2.

The question I have is could the error code be related to the elevation change? Have others ever seen this code when changing elevations? Normally we drive the Armada at ~ 0 ft, spent that last 2 weeks at ~ 4000 ft.

I don't think this is related, but for completeness: Recently we had a transmission fluid leak - shop diagnosed it as likely the dealer overfilled the fluid at the 90k service.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Might just be the system thinks the gas cap is leaking, due to the drastic changes in elevation (pressure). I'd drive it a bit and see if the light goes off. If you're really curious, get hold of a code reader and see what comes up.

Also, brakes, not breaks.

Keith

Reactions: marctronixx

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The code is P0300 - "code P0300 indicates that one or more cylinders are experiencing misfires. A misfire occurs when an insufficient amount of fuel is burning in a cylinder. The efficient burning of fuel is essential to engine operation as the combustion of fuel is what provides the energy to power the engine in your Nissan. A misfire from one or more cylinders can be caused by many reasons from a faulty ignition system, fuel system or internal engine failure. When P0300 occurs it should be fixed immediately as long term driving with engine misfires could cause consequential damage to the engine in your Nissan. Many times P0300 occurs when there are worn out spark plugs, spark plug wires, or a faulty ignition coil "

Took it to the shop and they report all looks good e.g. spark plugs, coils, etc. In short they couldn't find a problem. They recommended to clean the fuel injectors.

·
Premium Member
3,589 Posts
Hmmmmmm.....sounds like you've already done a lot of investigating on this. So assumption is that it hasn't gone out after a bunch of restarts. Have you reset the light and did it come back?

Also, re: clean the fuel injectors, although that may be a good thing to do at your mileage, that is kind of a "catch-all" from mechanics when they can't find anything wrong. "Hey, let's clean the injectors and see what that does". If you've been running high quality gas since new, your injectors should be fine.

Keith

·
Premium Member
1,346 Posts
Since you have a WA60 armada, it’s actually easier to test the injectors since the fuel rails are on the outside of the intake manifold.

With the truck idling, disconnect the harness from one injector. If the idle drops or sounds rough, then that injector is technically firing. If the idle stays constant, then you’ve found a faulty injector.
Move onto the next injector... same steps until you’ve tested all (8) injectors.

If the injectors rule out good using these steps, then a multimeter would come in handy in order to check the OHMs of each injector. I don’t remember the specific OHM range but there is a thread on here where I had posted those #s.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts