Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been having the following issues, and will post what I received directly from an Infiniti dealership. They wanted a ton to fix, so will also post what my mechanic has done and still have the same issues.

Issues :
1. SUV bounces like crazy while driving going over bumps or changes in the road
2. Rear end sways back and forth when hitting a small crack in the street, pothole, manhole cover etc.
3. Brake pedal is really soft. Doesn't go to the floor, but need to depress probably half way before catching. Also, every time you brake it triggers the seat belt tightening sensor
4. Front end and steering wheel shakes only at 65-70 mph. Going faster or slower, no shakes.

Infiniti dealership Estimate and Report :
Hydraulic Fluid Leak Right Tire

Issue
FRONT HYDRAULIC LINES LEAKING, ALL CORRODED. REAR ACCUMULATOR PUMP LEAKING. CAUSING SUSPENSION TO BE LOOSE. EXCESSIVE CORROSION CAUSING LEAK

Recommendation
HYDRAULIC LINES TO FRONT STRUTS AND LINES THAT RUN ON LEFT SIDE TO REAR. REAR HYDRAULIC ACCUMULATOR LR OF CAR,. BLEED SYSTEM

Estimate
$ 11,113.68 My mechanic replaced all the hydraulic lines, and accumulators. Bled system. No change in loose suspension or swaying

Truck Is Very Bouncy - Rear End Feels Unstable

Issue
REAR SUSPENSION SAG. COMPRESSOR ENGAGES. SPRAYED LINES NO AIR LEAK. FOUND DTC FOR REAR HEIGHT SENSOR

Recommendation
REAR HEIGHT SENSOR.L.

Estimate
$ 835.16 My mechanic replaced the Rear Height Sensor. No change in the truck bouncing

Front Shocks / Suspension

OUTER TIERODS HAVE PLAY

Recommendation
L&R OUTER TIEROD ENDS AND FRONT TOE ADJUSTMENT

Estimate
$ 1,346.46 My mechanic replace both L & R Inner and Outer Tie Rods. Front end and steering wheel still shakes

Total estimate
$ 15,160.05 ( This included oil change, transmission service, cabin filters, plugs and a few other maintenance things as well as above repairs)

So now we are still at a loss. My mechanic has taken it into a Nissan dealership, and they have said that all the sensors and entire truck basically just needs to be programmed correctly. Hooked up to their computer system so they can program the entire truck. They programmed it twice already, and still can't fix any of the issues. Does this make sense? Could the sensors just not be reading each other, therefore not performing correctly? Does anyone know if it is a simple programming job or does it take multiple tries?

We have checked brakes, rotors etc. Have put on 2 new rear tires.

Any other suggestions or what I should do next would be helpful.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
I have been having the following issues, and will post what I received directly from an Infiniti dealership. They wanted a ton to fix, so will also post what my mechanic has done and still have the same issues.

Issues :
2. Rear end sways back and forth when hitting a small crack in the street, pothole, manhole cover etc.
3. Brake pedal is really soft. Doesn't go to the floor, but need to depress probably half way before catching. Also, every time you brake it triggers the seat belt tightening sensor
4. Front end and steering wheel shakes only at 65-70 mph. Going faster or slower, no shakes.

Issue
FRONT HYDRAULIC LINES LEAKING, ALL CORRODED. REAR ACCUMULATOR PUMP LEAKING. CAUSING SUSPENSION TO BE LOOSE. EXCESSIVE CORROSION CAUSING LEAK

Recommendation
HYDRAULIC LINES TO FRONT STRUTS AND LINES THAT RUN ON LEFT SIDE TO REAR. REAR HYDRAULIC ACCUMULATOR LR OF CAR,. BLEED SYSTEM

Estimate
$ 11,113.68 My mechanic replaced all the hydraulic lines, and accumulators. Bled system. No change in loose suspension or swaying

Issue
REAR SUSPENSION SAG. COMPRESSOR ENGAGES. SPRAYED LINES NO AIR LEAK. FOUND DTC FOR REAR HEIGHT SENSOR

Recommendation
REAR HEIGHT SENSOR.L.

Estimate
$ 835.16 My mechanic replaced the Rear Height Sensor. No change in the truck bouncing

OUTER TIERODS HAVE PLAY

Recommendation

Estimate
$ 1,346.46 My mechanic replace both L & R Inner and Outer Tie Rods. Front end and steering wheel still shakes

Total estimate
$ 15,160.05 ( This included oil change, transmission service, cabin filters, plugs and a few other maintenance things as well as above repairs)

So now we are still at a loss. My mechanic has taken it into a Nissan dealership, and they have said that all the sensors and entire truck basically just needs to be programmed correctly. Hooked up to their computer system so they can program the entire truck. They programmed it twice already, and still can't fix any of the issues. Does this make sense? Could the sensors just not be reading each other, therefore not performing correctly? Does anyone know if it is a simple programming job or does it take multiple tries?

Ouch... At that price you can buy a certified used one with less problems. Did you buy this one Used? or are you the first owner? When did all these symptoms start happening? Let's start with the front end first... if the tires and steering wheel shakes only at certain speeds. Maybe you need to have your front tires balanced... what is the condition of the front tires currently?. Can you take pictures of the treads on the front tires(a frontal view and top view if your can). Tire tread wear can tell a lot about what your front end is doing. I don't doubt that your front end parts need replacement, but can't tell without inspection.

A bouncy rear end usually means... ( have you ever seen a vehicle in front of you while driving. That when they hit a bump their rear end bounces like a ball?) bad shocks... among other things. That might be happening to yours I'm also concerned about the condition of your under carriage. If they are pretty rusted out. Your rear suspension components may have all freezed up due to rust and are not function properly. Rear Air Suspensions (I have one) can be really bouncy and uncontrollable when hitting bumps (most especially if not towing). I'm changing my out with non-air after market components. Shocks and springs.

Sorry... but pictures here will really be helpful to help point out issues and better help from the forum. I hope this help a bit.

Issues :

Issue

Recommendation

Estimate

Issue

Recommendation
REAR HEIGHT SENSOR.L.

Estimate

OUTER TIERODS HAVE PLAY

Recommendation

Estimate

Total estimate

There is a lot going on with your suspension... but you mentioned also about your brakes. Do you still feel sponginess when you press on the brakes... there may still be air in your brake system. Wondering if he bled your brakes properly( Front Left, Rear Left, Front Right, Rear Right in this order) Changing the brake hydraulic system has no affect in suspension, but is an entire different issue. Did your mechanic replace the brake pads too?

Reactions: Buschpilot

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ouch... At that price you can buy a certified used one with less problems. Did you buy this one Used? or are you the first owner? When did all these symptoms start happening? Let's start with the front end first... if the tires and steering wheel shakes only at certain speeds. Maybe you need to have your front tires balanced... what is the condition of the front tires currently?. Can you take pictures of the treads on the front tires(a frontal view and top view if your can). Tire tread wear can tell a lot about what your front end is doing. I don't doubt that your front end parts need replacement, but can't tell without inspection.

A bouncy rear end usually means... ( have you ever seen a vehicle in front of you while driving. That when they hit a bump their rear end bounces like a ball?) bad shocks... among other things. That might be happening to yours I'm also concerned about the condition of your under carriage. If they are pretty rusted out. Your rear suspension components may have all freezed up due to rust and are not function properly. Rear Air Suspensions (I have one) can be really bouncy and uncontrollable when hitting bumps (most especially if not towing). I'm changing my out with non-air after market components. Shocks and springs.

Sorry... but pictures here will really be helpful to help point out issues and better help from the forum. I hope this help a bit.
I bought it used a year ago, 2nd owner. Had it inspected by a 3rd party and everything came back clear. Front tires are in good condition, so alignment will be a good place to start. Infiniti and my mechanic has gone thru all the suspension components and everything seems to be functioning correctly. I keep being told it is a sensor/programming issue. There are so many sensors that if one goes out, if affects a multitude of other things on the vehicle. For example, the rear height sensor needs to be set to a certain millimeter. They set it to 19mm, helped a little. Changed the setting to 16mm and its worse now.

Brakes are spongy and my mechanic did bleed the system. No pads or rotors or calipers have been changed. He claims different sensors affect the brake sensors.

·
Premium Member
156 Posts
I bought it used a year ago, 2nd owner. Had it inspected by a 3rd party and everything came back clear. Front tires are in good condition, so alignment will be a good place to start. Infiniti and my mechanic has gone thru all the suspension components and everything seems to be functioning correctly. I keep being told it is a sensor/programming issue. There are so many sensors that if one goes out, if affects a multitude of other things on the vehicle. For example, the rear height sensor needs to be set to a certain millimeter. They set it to 19mm, helped a little. Changed the setting to 16mm and its worse now.

Brakes are spongy and my mechanic did bleed the system. No pads or rotors or calipers have been changed. He claims different sensors affect the brake sensors.
Sensors will ONLY tell you that something is wrong with your Truck. If it is really a sensor/ programing issue. I would think your dash will be lighting up like a christmas tree right now. Sensors won't fix machanical issues. Like a shaking steering wheel or a spongy brake pedal.

·
Registered
27 Posts
I was having some similar ride problems, though brakes weren't bad. Ours is an '08 we bought new and now has 66k miles. I bought Bilstein B6 for the front and Arnott's for the rear and took to the dealership for installation. Had way too much rust on rear suspension for an alignment, so I had most of the rear suspension replaced. This included upper and lower control arms rear, plus sway bar bushings front and rear. Replaced the height sensor for the air shocks and did a 4-wheel alignment. Added steel brake lines front and rear (fronts custom-made) and new calipers rear. Looks brand new underneath, and now it drives better than new - those shocks are way better than OEM. Cost all in was about $6k.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Appreciate the info ppointer. Spoke to my mechanic again and the mechanic at the Nissan dealership. There is still something not working on my vehicle they are trying to figure out. They are running tests programming it different ways i guess to try and produce a code to figure out what the issue is. They are hoping that once they figure this out, they can fix, and program the entire SUV to work in accordance. I will keep everyone update on the progress, but I do believe I will need to replace the shocks and have the truck aligned.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts