Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi!

I have a 2014 Nissan Armada and I am having issues with my lift gate. I have attached a video explaining the issue below, but basically the lift gate only works when I hold the lever on the outside of the gate to get it to open. The key fob and button near the steering wheel do not allow the lift gate to open. What is even more strange is that the fob, button at the back of the armada, and the button near the steering wheel are able to CLOSE the lift gate.

I have tried replacing the struts with two different brands and have had no luck. I also checked to see if the bolt fell off for the motor arm and that was not the issue. I am worried it is something more serious and I am just going to have to take it to the dealership to get fixed. Hoping someone on here could maybe help me so I could save some money and try to fix it myself.

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Dave

Video of the Problem

·
Administrator
6,679 Posts
thanks for the video! are you from Wisconsin? just wondering your accent.. :)

maybe the arm that the motor is attached to is loose /needs retightening, causing the motor sensor to think there is an obstruction preventing the door from opening up.

has this been occurring often/intermittingly or did it just happen out of the blue and now its this way all the time?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I am from Wisconsin! You know accents really well =)

I would say it is out of the blue....The whole thing is strange because sometimes the lift gate will open with the fob (maybe 10% of the time).

Your thought of a loose arm seems like a good hypothesis. I will try to tighten everything on it in the morning. Is that arm something I could replace? Would that make any difference?

Thanks for your input...

·
Administrator
6,679 Posts
haha just a good guess. :)

I admit I did not see the entire video so I have more questions.. :)

so when you open the door manually, if you put some pressure on the top of the door as it opens, the anti-pinch strip should engage and cause the door to stop and close. also in reverse -- when you are closing the door and you put something under it as its closing, the door should stop and return to the open position. are you able to do both of those operations normally?

you mentioned you replaced the struts -- why did you replace them? were they not keeping the door up or did you replace them to troubleshoot this issue? did you use nissan OEM struts or 3rd party ones? I ask because its possible if they are 3rd party that may interfere with the operation -- this is just speculation.

in regards to the motor arm - if its tight and not loose feeling it may be ok.

There are two things that are apart of the door opening -- the anti pinch strip that will prevent the door from opening/closing if it detects interference, and the "glass hatch switch ajar" module. if the latter is faulty, i think its supposed to prevent the door from opening up all the way. meaning, if the glass window is open and you try to open up the rear hatch, this "glass switch ajar" module should stop the rear hatch from opening. if its not working properly it may tell the BCM that the glass window is "ajar" , which prevents the BCM from wanting to open the door all the way. this is also speculation since you are able to open the door once you put some "lift weight" on the door to assist the motor so the door opens.. something to try at your own risk, is to unlock the glass window and see if it prevents the door from opening. again this is a do it at your own risk but it may be worth the try to see if this will change the behavior of the door opening.

and again just so i am on the same page, you can close the door just fine with the fob, rear switch or dash switch yes?

if you have another fob, does it also behave the same way?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First, Thanks for taking the time to reply to my post!! My responses are in blue below:

haha just a good guess. :)

I admit I did not see the entire video so I have more questions.. :)

so when you open the door manually, if you put some pressure on the top of the door as it opens, the anti-pinch strip should engage and cause the door to stop and close. also in reverse -- when you are closing the door and you put something under it as its closing, the door should stop and return to the open position. are you able to do both of those operations normally?

I tried this and if I put pressure on the door as it open, it beeps a few time and then closes. Same thing for when I am closing the door...Beeps a few times and then opens back up. So the safety features seem to be working fine.

you mentioned you replaced the struts -- why did you replace them? were they not keeping the door up or did you replace them to troubleshoot this issue? did you use nissan OEM struts or 3rd party ones? I ask because its possible if they are 3rd party that may interfere with the operation -- this is just speculation.

I replaced the struts because that was what a lot of people on Youtube were doing and it seemed to fix the problem. It also was a low risk thing to try (For $25 I could see if that would fix my problem.) I did replace the struts with 3rd party brands. I can give you the links to them on Amazon, but Amazon claimed they would fit my vehicle.

I also do think there may be some weakness in the motor now...The only way to open the door is when I hold the latch up and help the door "get out of the hole." When I use the fob or the driver side button, I am not giving the door that little bit of assistance...just a theory...could be wrong.

in regards to the motor arm - if its tight and not loose feeling it may be ok.

It definitely is tight and seems secure.

There are two things that are apart of the door opening -- the anti pinch strip that will prevent the door from opening/closing if it detects interference, and the "glass hatch switch ajar" module. if the latter is faulty, i think its supposed to prevent the door from opening up all the way. meaning, if the glass window is open and you try to open up the rear hatch, this "glass switch ajar" module should stop the rear hatch from opening. if its not working properly it may tell the BCM that the glass window is "ajar" , which prevents the BCM from wanting to open the door all the way. this is also speculation since you are able to open the door once you put some "lift weight" on the door to assist the motor so the door opens.. something to try at your own risk, is to unlock the glass window and see if it prevents the door from opening. again this is a do it at your own risk but it may be worth the try to see if this will change the behavior of the door opening.

I tried this today too...When the glass was ajar, the door did absolutely nothing. I had to manually open it up. Also, the notification on the dash came on saying that the glass was ajar. So I think that is working properly....

and again just so i am on the same page, you can close the door just fine with the fob, rear switch or dash switch yes?

Yes you have it correct. Closing the door, everything works. It is opening the door that is the issue.

if you have another fob, does it also behave the same way?

I have two fobs and they both work the same =/

·
Administrator
6,679 Posts
thanks for your detailed responses. it seems everything is working normally... a loonnnnnnggggg shot is the struts.. do you have the original ones you can swap back on? it seems thats the only thing you cant really rule out at this point. you did mention that after replacing the struts things were working fine but now its back to not working fine. maybe the struts are not powerful enough to push up the rear hatch and the pinch strip sensor may confuse this and think there is something pushing down on the door causing it to go back down.
whats the temps at your home in the garage? is cold temps? I know you Wisconsinites think 60 degrees is a hot spell where here in LA THATS freezing to me but if its been cold the fluid/gas in the struts may be weaker due to the cold temps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I actually put the original struts back on once I discovered the new ones made the situation worse (the rear hatch would not close no matter what button I pushed with the new struts on). You are correct...60 degrees, especially in October, is a gorgeous day =) Temperatures have been in the mid 40's to 50's most of the days that I have been trying to fix the rear hatch....so, nothing ridiculously cold.

What is the role of the motor on the rear hatch when the lift gate is being opened? Is it basically the struts that do all the work to lift the hatch?

I have an appointment at the dealership this Friday....I feel like I can at least say I have tried a lot of different things to fix this problem on my own. If you think of anything else I can try before then, I absolutely will!

Thanks for all your help. I really appreciate it.

thanks for your detailed responses. it seems everything is working normally... a loonnnnnnggggg shot is the struts.. do you have the original ones you can swap back on? it seems thats the only thing you cant really rule out at this point. you did mention that after replacing the struts things were working fine but now its back to not working fine. maybe the struts are not powerful enough to push up the rear hatch and the pinch strip sensor may confuse this and think there is something pushing down on the door causing it to go back down.
whats the temps at your home in the garage? is cold temps? I know you Wisconsinites think 60 degrees is a hot spell where here in LA THATS freezing to me but if its been cold the fluid/gas in the struts may be weaker due to the cold temps.

·
Administrator
6,679 Posts
the struts are there to keep the hatch open. the motor does all the heavy lifting, with the struts proving a little lift. if the pinch sensor "feels" there is any resistance on the hatch it will stop and go the other way. its possible the struts are just faulty out of the gate and maybe your old struts are just out of spec. this is a head scratcher for sure and im sorry i cant be of much help beyond this.

its the weekend so many of the resident active members are offline. perhaps during the week some other folks may chime in and give some ideas. your video has been helpful and i hope , if nothing else, the dealer can rectify the issue.

please keep the class posted.

not to go too far off topic, but green bay spanked Washington today !!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi!

I have a 2014 Nissan Armada and I am having issues with my lift gate. I have attached a video explaining the issue below, but basically the lift gate only works when I hold the lever on the outside of the gate to get it to open. The key fob and button near the steering wheel do not allow the lift gate to open. What is even more strange is that the fob, button at the back of the armada, and the button near the steering wheel are able to CLOSE the lift gate.

I have tried replacing the struts with two different brands and have had no luck. I also checked to see if the bolt fell off for the motor arm and that was not the issue. I am worried it is something more serious and I am just going to have to take it to the dealership to get fixed. Hoping someone on here could maybe help me so I could save some money and try to fix it myself.

Thanks for any help you can provide,

Dave

Video of the Problem
I know it should not be related, but the power window switch on the driver's side has the lock all doors and unlock all doors. recycle the lock all doors unlock all doors will reset the switch. That will allow you to open and close the lift gate.

·
Administrator
6,679 Posts
thanks for the update. sorry to hear about this.

i could not find anything valuable, but here is a write up someone posted here -

might be the same guy as in the writeup. probably wont help much but wanted to share what i found.

i attached the service write up which is not of much help either.

here is a writeup on this forum:

Attachments

·
Registered
188 Posts
This is a simple idea but I wanted to ask. Is there a child safety switch that has been activated by accident causing your problem? In your original post the door works by handle but not by fob or dash button. I would see if there is a fuse related to the lift gate as well. Try the simple things first. New motor for $1600 + 😬

·
Administrator
6,679 Posts
likely thats motor and labor to install. OP took it to the dealer and as much as dealers like to shaft us customers, i would think they would rule out any fuses as being the issue.
the fob and dash button are working. the ops states when he uses the fob or the dash button, the rear door works the same -- meaning it opens then immediately closes.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey guys, checking to see if motor replacement fixed this issue. My 2010 Armada is doing the same thing intermittently - the motor runs then the system beeps a few times and the liftgate goes back to starting position. This happens from the open and closed position.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts