Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We just purchased a very nice 2017 Armada with 26,000 miles on it. After driving it home last night i noticed a very faint knocking sound coming from the engine when at low idle. I did some research today and the guys on the Nissan Titan forums have been having major issues with the same sound with their 5.6 V8s resulting in the replacement of several engines.....and many others are awaiting arrival of their engines. Sounds like there was a bad batch of engines. Anyways, there is a Service Bulletin out as of July 22 describing the issue. I have an appointment for next week to get it checked out. Anybody else with 2017 Armadas or newer run into this situation yet? I've attached the Service Bulletin. Not sure if my particular engine noise is normal or part of that problem.

UPDATE! Took my 2017 Armada to the dealer to get it checked out. They confirmed that cylinder 7 was scored, and will be replacing my engine. Just an FYI for any other 2017+ Armada owners out there. Listen for a slight knocking sound. Take it in and mention the TSB. Don't wait until it's out of warranty.

We just purchased a very nice 2017 Armada with 26,000 miles on it. After driving it home last night i noticed a very faint knocking sound coming from the engine when at low idle. I did some research today and the guys on the Nissan Titan forums have been having major issues with the same sound with their 5.6 V8s resulting in the replacement of several engines.....and many others are awaiting arrival of their engines. Sounds like there was a bad batch of engines. Anyways, there is a Service Bulletin out as of July 22 describing the issue. I have an appointment for next week to get it checked out. Anybody else with 2017 Armadas or newer run into this situation yet? I've attached the Service Bulletin. Not sure if my particular engine noise is normal or part of that problem.

UPDATE! Took my 2017 Armada to the dealer to get it checked out. They confirmed that cylinder 7 was scored, and will be replacing my engine. Just an FYI for any other 2017+ Armada owners out there. Listen for a slight knocking sound. Take it in and mention the TSB. Don't wait until it's out of warranty.
UPDATE 2! Engine is on a national backorder list. Dealer has no idea how long before an engine will be available. In the meantime, we are deriving around in a Rogue.

Attachments

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sucks. Did you happen to record audio (or video) by any chance?
I didn't. But it appears to be a pretty common problem with many 2017s. SO if you have one, keep your ear out for a knocking sound on the right side of the engine.....or just tell them you hear it, and they have to scope cylinder 7 for scoring.

·
Premium Member
3,458 Posts

UPDATE 2! Engine is on a national backorder list. Dealer has no idea how long before an engine will be available. In the meantime, we are deriving around in a Rogue.
I'm really glad that Nissan is taking care of this problem, but I'd be concerned down the road when it comes time to sell the truck.....the fact that the engine has been replaced will likely show up on a vehicle history report, and I know that if I were buying a used vehicle and had my choice between one that had a replacement engine versus one with the original engine, I'd expect to pay less for the one with the replacement engine. Am I an outlier here? Just wondering if you have a valid claim for diminished value?

Another thing....imagine 40 years from now, when you have your now classic Armada at a car show, and can't say it's "100% Numbers Matching"!!!! ?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm really glad that Nissan is taking care of this problem, but I'd be concerned down the road when it comes time to sell the truck.....the fact that the engine has been replaced will likely show up on a vehicle history report, and I know that if I were buying a used vehicle and had my choice between one that had a replacement engine versus one with the original engine, I'd expect to pay less for the one with the replacement engine. Am I an outlier here? Just wondering if you have a valid claim for diminished value?

Another thing....imagine 40 years from now, when you have your now classic Armada at a car show, and can't say it's "100% Numbers Matching"!!!! ?
Yeah that's a pretty valid point. I hope to keep the vehicle for quite a while. Sold my trundra with 240,000 miles, sold my tacoma with 260,000 miles and sold the sequoia with 325,000 miles. And all my friends with nissans have very high mileage and still going strong. Hence why i tried an armada.Hopefully this thing lasts me well into the high miles where eventually it all kinds of blurs itself out. I'm still very surprised that nobody else has posted the same issue with their armada since it seems to be a pretty common issue with 2017 5.6 engines....

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
There were about ~90k Armadas sold in the US since 2017 MY (this doesn't include pick-up trucks that have the same engines yet). It might be appearing as 'common' because there aren't that many other issues to talk about IMO. It is definitely a serious issue but I would be interested what % of the total volume have had it and with what average mileage does it occur. I'll be more cognizant now that this might happen down the road.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whats a little scarier is the fact that this defect happened in a relatively short time span and seems to be commonly caught under 25,000 miles, however, nobody has had a replacement small block engine long enough to see just how well this "fix" will do. That's what scares me. Heck, the Technical Service Bulletin just came out at the end of July, so a lot of dealerships and owners still might be unaware. Also, it sounds like for a while dealerships were telling customers that it was a normal sound and not to worry about it.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Just had mine in the shop today for warranty work (~32k miles) - random engine knock when starting that i just happened to mention with a couple other minor issues. Took it to a different dealer b/c i loathe the one from which i purchased the vehicle. New dealership told told me about the service bulletin. Not super thrilled. Preparing for the worst but hoping they can fix it. Ugh. Who has time for this...

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi all, just heard about this and brought mine in. The dealer said they are doing a partial replacement only of the cylinder and using my current other “guts.” Have others had full engine replacements or just cylinders? I thought this was supposed to be a full engine replacement? I am also concerned about resale.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
the fact that the engine has been replaced will likely show up on a vehicle history report

Keep the paperwork from the dealership warranty work with the title for resale. I've seen quite a few older Japanese and Euro models with common issues (e46 m3's rod bearings come to mind) and while its not common to be a warranty in the e46 example the record of a major maintenance can take a red flag and make it a green flag by showing due diligence in maintaining the vehicle. Also if it is a truly widespread issue anyone who does there research will want to see the proof of repair for a TSB. Diminished value might be a hard case to argue, but hey if you find a lawyer whom thinks its a winnable case it could be worth a shot. 25k is a very low mileage for such a major issue.

classic Armada at a car show, and can't say it's "100% Numbers Matching"!!!!
I recently had to replace the motor in my 05 qx and was looking around the block to see if i could determine if it was the original block and i found not evidence of a VIN stamp/plate or the removal of one. In my research on the location of a stamp/plate all evidence pointed to the blocks not being serialized / VIN matched. So this might not be as big of an issue. If I'm wrong and the blocks are marked i would love to know the location so i can look over the supposed original block to check it.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts

Went in for its second oil change (~8500 miles) on my 2018 and the dealer mentioned they heard the faint knock, inspected it and saw the motor needs replacement. A little frustrated that Nissan QA botched this or some bean counter decided it would cool save a few bucks removing something out of the engine so they can probably say they did something and get a bonus. I mean this VD engine has been around forever since 2012 and there weren't reported problems like this.

Now is this a major problem? No idea but I did see 3 Titans getting their engines replaced in the bay here. The MFG date of my truck is 07/17. The good news is I'm happy my dealer was proactive about this and is handling it and I'm in the queue waiting for an engine. Hopeful it gets in and done before the holidays.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
Hi all, just heard about this and brought mine in. The dealer said they are doing a partial replacement only of the cylinder and using my current other “guts.” Have others had full engine replacements or just cylinders? I thought this was supposed to be a full engine replacement? I am also concerned about resale.
The service bulletin instructs the dealer to replace the engine, not replace one of the cylinders. I would take this up with Nissan Corporate because dealers are not supposed to make up their own rules when it comes to TSBs.

Reactions: OBXPatrol

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
So two months after the first visit for engine knocking, it's official. 2017 Armada SL w/~32k miles, bought new <our first Nissan!>/now paid in full, & it needs engine replaced. Dealer is following the bulletin ~ said it'll be a short block replacement. We've elevated to corporate for other options. Intended to keep the vehicle for some time & am very concerned about loss of value, given this will undoubtedly reflect on any VIN check. We have questions about the warranty that comes with the engine replacement as well ~ I've seen some posts that the warranty is not extended (which sounds unbelievable, so we're trying to get more info on that). We move quite often, and the idea that this problem vehicle will follow us around & we'll have to reestablish service with new dealers in the event there are issues with the new engine isn't appealing either. Either way, the engine needs to be replaced in our current vehicle. Has anyone dealt with Nissan for other options such as a buyback or vehicle replacement by Nissan? Just trying to get all the information - this is our first experience with such a major issue. TIA!

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Went in for its second oil change (~8500 miles) on my 2018 and the dealer mentioned they heard the faint knock, inspected it and saw the motor needs replacement. A little frustrated that Nissan QA botched this or some bean counter decided it would cool save a few bucks removing something out of the engine so they can probably say they did something and get a bonus. I mean this VD engine has been around forever since 2012 and there weren't reported problems like this.

Now is this a major problem? No idea but I did see 3 Titans getting their engines replaced in the bay here. The MFG date of my truck is 07/17. The good news is I'm happy my dealer was proactive about this and is handling it and I'm in the queue waiting for an engine. Hopeful it gets in and done before the holidays.

Well I just mine back from engine replacement. I wanted to see if I was going crazy or not. If you drive at 40 MPH on a flat the RPM's are around a little under 1500. I don't recall if it was that high before. I know from my older Armada the RPM's range is a little over 1000 on the same road. What is everyone else seeing?

·
Registered
4 Posts
Well I just mine back from engine replacement. I wanted to see if I was going crazy or not. If you drive at 40 MPH on a flat the RPM's are around a little under 1500. I don't recall if it was that high before. I know from my older Armada the RPM's range is a little over 1000 on the same road. What is everyone else seeing?
Just got my vehicle back yesterday after having the short block replacement TSB fulfilled. Took my dealership about a week to complete the job. This included a 45 minute test drive to make sure all was good. Anyway, as soon as I left the dealership, the engine started to exhibit some significant RPM fluctuations. As I continued to drive, primarily at highway speed, and the temperature rose to within the normal operating range, I found that the fluctuations were not as apparent. However, at the lower speeds and RPMs, there was some fluctuation, even with the motor being warm. I never had this prior to my engine replacement. Anyone else have the same issues?

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
I had similar problems with mine. I had dealer take a Tech with me for a ride to show them. After that they adjusted the transmission fluid level and recalibrated the g sensor. Been fine ever since.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts