Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
I had similar problems with mine. I had dealer take a Tech with me for a ride to show them. After that they adjusted the transmission fluid level and recalibrated the g sensor. Been fine ever since.
Glad to know this is fixable. Nothing more annoying than getting back into your vehicle and having weird feedback from the transmission, expecially whne it was working nice before. I was beginning to think it had something to do with the TCM losing it's latest update (which I had confirmed as being done before the short block work was completed).

·
Registered
1 Posts
We just purchased a very nice 2017 Armada with 26,000 miles on it. After driving it home last night i noticed a very faint knocking sound coming from the engine when at low idle. I did some research today and the guys on the Nissan Titan forums have been having major issues with the same sound with their 5.6 V8s resulting in the replacement of several engines.....and many others are awaiting arrival of their engines. Sounds like there was a bad batch of engines. Anyways, there is a Service Bulletin out as of July 22 describing the issue. I have an appointment for next week to get it checked out. Anybody else with 2017 Armadas or newer run into this situation yet? I've attached the Service Bulletin. Not sure if my particular engine noise is normal or part of that problem.

UPDATE! Took my 2017 Armada to the dealer to get it checked out. They confirmed that cylinder 7 was scored, and will be replacing my engine. Just an FYI for any other 2017+ Armada owners out there. Listen for a slight knocking sound. Take it in and mention the TSB. Don't wait until it's out of warranty.

UPDATE 2! Engine is on a national backorder list. Dealer has no idea how long before an engine will be available. In the meantime, we are deriving around in a Rogue.

i had a similar noise and brought the car in. I was told that they have to order a short block for my car. did you needs whole engine?

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Interesting. This isn't the first I've "read" about this. I have asked 4 dealerships around me, including Infiniti (for QX80), and none of them has ever heard or handled of any knocking issue with VK56VD engine.

·
Super Moderator
5,401 Posts
engines will knock, but thats what the ping sensors are for. they hear it and retard timing. if people use cheap low octane petrol. knock will increase,

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
Last year, I actually logged the timing and I saw a contiguous string of odd timing correction. It wasn't really during WOT and I'm not hearing any knock so I didn't really mind it at all. Higher octane didn't help either as I still saw similar behavior on the logs. I'm just frustrated at Nissan dealerships around me as either they're just playing dumb and don't want to say anything about it or they really haven't seen one yet.

·
Premium Member
1,191 Posts
It has nothing to do with low quality, regular unleaded (87) fuel. The knock is happening on cylinders 5 & 7 and the scratched cylinder walls is proof of it happening. Nissan does have a TSB out for this problem; plenty of Titan owners are having this very same problem and most have had the short blocks replaced. Unfortunately, some have had repeat issues or other repairs needed due to poor installation from their Nissan service mechanics.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts