Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

The folks at Nissan have just unveiled all-new Armada SUV on the eve of the Chicago Auto Show.

This traditional, full-sized sport utility vehicle has been totally reworked for the 2017 model year. Serving as the brand’s flagship SUV, it rides atop a fully boxed ladder frame for all the ruggedness of a pickup truck. Compared to its predecessor, this structure is 20 percent stiffer thanks, in part, to larger cross-sections.

And that sturdy foundation allows this eight-passenger SUV to tow an impressive 8,500 pounds. When properly equipped, that figure is applicable to both two- and four-wheel-drive models.

Getting that much mass moving is a familiar 5.6-liter V8 engine. Like the rest of the Armada, it too has been enhanced for the new model year. It has gained direct fuel injection, a higher compression ratio, new pistons and the company’s VVEL variable valve lift technology. All told, it cranks out a substantial 390 horses and 401 lb-ft of torque. It’s matched to a seven-speed automatic transmission.

Now, if this drivetrain sounds familiar, it should because the new Armada is essentially a re-branded version of the more luxurious Infiniti QX80. Have you noticed the family resemblance yet? If not, check out the shape of its side glass and the placement of those fender vents, which are actually functional air intakes.

But that’s not all; there are even more similarities. Wheelbase, width, overall length and height exactly match the Infiniti, and that’s not necessarily a bad thing.

Emulating the luxury offered by its more expensive sibling, the Armada comes with plenty of standard goodies including a navigation system with an eight-inch color display, heated front seats, a 13-speaker Bose sound system and dual-zone automatic climate control.

Available extras include all the latest technological goodies like adaptive cruise control, forward emergency braking, lane-departure warning and prevention and much, much more.

The totally redesigned 2017 Nissan Armada is slated to go on sale this summer. Three trim levels will be offered along with seven exterior color choices. Unfortunately, information about pricing has not been released at this time, so stay tuned.
Read more about the 2017 Nissan Armada Unveiled with 8,500-Pound Towing Capacity at AutoGuide.com.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
so it took nissan 10 years to release patrol with armada name on it? the price gonna jump really high if its just a renamed patrol...this gonna cost around 65k-75k , so i guess they killed the armada platform totally now its a patrol so yeah RIP Armada :(

·
Premium Member
747 Posts
Not sure where I saw it, but the QX/Patrol is due to be redone soon anyway. Wonder if Nissan is just going to keep the Armada as a "older" version of the QX with a year or two of overlap. Personally, this is not a good thing for Infiniti's brand identity. While the GM triplets share the same platform, the Escalade has a different interior than the Denali/Tahoe and that helps justify the higher price tag.

·
Premium Member
146 Posts
I like the look and increased power with 7-speed, but I'm guessing the days of brand new fully loaded Armadas being purchased for less than fifty grand are now long gone!

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
The biggest question I have is will the New model require the HI test gas 92 octane or better. Looks smaller. I've been looking at Trucks/Suv's there all 50K its crazy Funny money pricing, I feel like I got a great deal on the SUV we wanted buying the new 2015 before the change, WOW Last year of of this body stlye.
At least there bringing back the Armada the Patrol sounds like a awesome platform with a good 4x4 system. Really like the 7 speed upgrade.

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
I also think this is truly the Nissan Patrol. They mentioned that Navigation comes standard on all models. If that is true, then I will guess leather would be standard on all trims. That definitely means that the price of the Armada will truly go way up.

But I must say I truly admire this new Armada.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
More 2017 Images...

http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2017-nissan-armada-photos-and-info-news

I've wanted a redesign for a long time, but for me, one of the biggest appeals of the Mada was that it was huge (haul kids and gear inside), could tow more than the competition, handled like a car, boasts fantastic 2nd row leg room (6'2" - no problem!), has ample storage behind the 3rd row, had a 60/40 split rear seat, was quick to accelerate both from the line and from 50 and steered with minimum roll all at a price that was $10-20k below the competition. I wonder if these attributes will carry on...

·
Premium Member
188 Posts
http://www.caranddriver.com/news/2017-nissan-armada-photos-and-info-news

I've wanted a redesign for a long time, but for me, one of the biggest appeals of the Mada was that it was huge (haul kids and gear inside), could tow more than the competition, handled like a car, boasts fantastic 2nd row leg room (6'2" - no problem!), has ample storage behind the 3rd row, had a 60/40 split rear seat, was quick to accelerate both from the line and from 50 and steered with minimum roll all at a price that was $10-20k below the competition. I wonder if these attributes will carry on...
Handled like a car?

·
Premium Member
340 Posts
I think it looks pretty good. Specs seem good - depending on the price. I do not like all the leather / soft / fancy material I see in newer SUVs. I actually like all the plastic I have now. With 3 kids and in the New England snow/salt/mud I love how easy it is to keep the Mada clean. When the kids go I'll be ready for luxury.

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
The Skinny from a North American Nissan rep, Claims the Armada has a special transfer case different than the patrol, Very capable off road SUV, Built to compete with the Tahoe.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0_ajU5BeR38

·
Premium Member
350 Posts
Ugh...

I still don't like the fact that they made it so much smaller, and that it looks like a big crossover.

They took nearly 4 cubic feet of cargo volume out of the area behind the third row by sloping the rear hatch forward, and removed a couple of inches of third row headroom with the down-sloping roof line.

·
Premium Member
2,518 Posts
Ugh...

I still don't like the fact that they made it so much smaller, and that it looks like a big crossover.

They took nearly 4 cubic feet of cargo volume out of the area behind the third row by sloping the rear hatch forward, and removed a couple of inches of third row headroom with the down-sloping roof line.
I agree. It is definitely smaller because the QX56 is also smaller than the current Armada body style.

·
Premium Member
37 Posts
so i was happy i might import 2017 Nissan Armada from US to my country since they anounce here that the 2015 Armada is gonna be the last Modle. now i understand why is that. cuz 2017 Nissan Armada is the same as 10+ Nissan patrol here in GCC so we cant have same car with two names..
that is just frustrating man.

so the armada platform is destroyed in my sight..

·
Premium Member
1,016 Posts
Yep its mind blowing!! Seems like everything I buy gets obsolete within a few years. Just hope Nissan don't pull the Armada parts to soon, Plan on running this one for a while.

·
Premium Member
9 Posts
I was looking at a Sequoia, but they haven't updated that in years and its way behind in technology and safety, plus getting that fully loaded is now $65k. At least the outgoing Armada loaded was around $56k with the Platinum package and captains chairs. One thing is if they jump the price up users will just buy the base model QX80 and that really does't help Nissan. So my hope is the price remains competitive and if anything since its a mix of models, Patrol/Titan/QX to get the Armada we should see a over all manageable price.

For me I need a SUV that can go 10 years and 200k+ and I figure this can do that. Plus it runs on regular, no premium required. Now we just need pricing and EPA numbers but we are likely going to be another month before we see that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts