Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My armada starts a steering wheel vibration on the highway when the speed over 65mph. And it makes abvious noise in the front cabin, like a resonance sound. Dealer said it’s the character of this armada after they did the wheel balance. Just wondering anybody in this forum have the same experience. I did some research before I brought it, nobody mentioned this on this forum. I guess I’m just too sensitive to this? Thanks for your input.

·
Super Moderator
5,554 Posts
That’s dealer BS.

Ive had 2 armadas, a 2006 and 2008, both brand new at the time of purchase, and never had such vibration or “characteristic “. Sounds like a lazy dealer.

Wheel vibration could be in the drive train, could be a flat/bad spot on a tire, or other suspension component.

Let’s get some details?

Did you buy new? Did you buy form the dealer you took it to? Can you take it to another dealer?

Has this concern happened since day one or only recently? Did you modify anything to the car before this occurred?

Tires new? Any aging on the tires? Did you have them “road balanced” or “road forced”?

What happens if you put on brakes? Does the car want to sway to one side or another?

·
Super Moderator
5,554 Posts
That’s dealer BS.

Ive had 2 armadas, a 2006 and 2008, both brand new at the time of purchase, and never had such vibration or “characteristic “. Sounds like a lazy dealer.

Wheel vibration could be in the drive shaft , axle, could be a flat/bad spot on a tire, or other suspension component.

Let’s get some details?

Did you buy new? Did you buy form the dealer you took it to? Can you take it to another dealer?

Has this concern happened since day one or only recently? Did you modify anything to the car before this occurred?

Tires new? Any aging on the tires? Did you have them “road balanced” or “road forced”?

What happens if you put on brakes? Does the car want to sway to one side or another?

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Marctronixx,

Thanks for your input. It’s a brand new 2018 armada SL. No modify yet. The highway noise starts from the first day I brought it when I drove it back from the dealer. So there is no road force on it. I took it to the nearest dealer around me, since the dealer I brought from is 140 miles away. The dealer I visited swap out new tires, rims, front drive shafts. The noise decreased only after they put on new tires and rims. But the noise is still there. The brake system is well, no pulling to any side when braking. I don’t know if there is anything the dealer can try. But other than the noise, it’s a awesome car, feel safe when driving it, I can see almost anything on the road.

BTW, recently I visited the dealer near me and took two armada (one SL, one SV) to have a test drive. The SL has the same noise, the SV has no high way noise and vibration. Maybe it is true that is the characters of the armada.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
I had a 2010 and it was great. My 2018 SL has a similar issue but I do not really hear it. Instead, I feel a constant vibration in my petal while accelerating over 75. The service manager said that he thinks there is a dip in the tires and showed me and said new tires would likely resolve it. He wasn't trying to sell tires. This is based on his years with a large tire company. He compared it to a very tight chain and vibrations travel easily (which is what happens while accelerating) but as soon as I left off the gas, just like adding slack to the chain you do not feel it.

Do you feel the vibration even when not accelerating?

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Once I drive over 70mph, and let it coasting, hardly hear the vibration because the speed drops quickly.
Yep, I have the same situation as your petal vibration when I accelerating, but didn't pay attention what the speed was.

·
Premium Member
35 Posts
I'm also getting a vibration but it's different.
On the highway if I get up to 70, and the slowly go back down to 60, I get a faint pulsing sound and vibration.

19 sl Armada, 25k Miles.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
The car is vibration free till 170 mph... tested by me personally))
So check as wheels, tires, brakes, aliment.

Reactions: marctronixx

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
If you can find a local tire shop that does Road Force balancing, it's usually money well spent. If you're still experiencing vibrations after that you can remove tire balancing from the equation...

I purchased my Armada used. Within a week of owning it, I had new tires mounted and balanced. Occasionally I get a small amount of vibration, but it seems mostly road surface dependent.

I'm not sure, but I think there's something about the design of the Armada that accentuates low frequency sounds and certain types of vibrations. I don't know how else to explain that sensation, just a feeling I have.

One thing's for sure, the 2017+ Armada is SO quiet and composed most of the time that ANYTHING even mildly annoying (rattle, sound, vibration or otherwise) seems really obvious.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
My armada starts a steering wheel vibration on the highway when the speed over 65mph. And it makes abvious noise in the front cabin, like a resonance sound. Dealer said it’s the character of this armada after they did the wheel balance. Just wondering anybody in this forum have the same experience. I did some research before I brought it, nobody mentioned this on this forum. I guess I’m just too sensitive to this? Thanks for your input.
Welcome to poor Nissan craftsmanship.

STAY WITH ME. THIS IS IS GOING TO BE LONG.

What you're experiencing is a buffeting sound that starts at about 65 and continues up to about 82 mph. More specifically, it starts around 1650 rpms and goes till not 2000 to 2100 rpms.

It also brings about a steering wheel shake that can be considered bad balancing. You're going to get the wheels road force balanced, but it will not be fixed.

The best part...every single 2018 and 2019 I've driven does it. It is a defect in the Armadas. Not just my 2018 Platinum.

So here's my story when I bought the truck it had 75 miles. I immediately felt the vibration, booming, buffeting but it ranged form 55 mph to 80 mph. The dealership said it just needs a balancing, so I took possession because I had to leave town. During my drive I noticed that the vibration and buffeting was very apparent at 70 mph. When I returned I had 750 miles on the odometer, I had them do a road force balance. The vibration at 55 to 68 was gone, but the buffeting, pulsation, and vibration in the steering wheel and body at 68 and up was still there.

Returned to the dealer at 2000 miles and had them rebalance the wheels again. Nothing changed.

Went to another dealership (just in case the other guys had a uncalibrated road force balancer) and this other dealer yeilded the same results.

The foreman at dealership # 2 drove with me and experienced the buffeting and vibration.

THEN we drove another brand new 2018 platinum together and this one ALSO had the same exact issue.

So the foreman gets Nissan Consumer affairs involved and contacts the district service manager. (The regional rep). They say the only way both cars are experiencing this would be because they both have Bridgestones on them. It's the only common factor.

So they replace my Bridgestones with 4 new Michelins.

The issue was not resolved. We had dealership 1 & 2 road force balance the Michelins. The issue was not resolved. 2 tires had RF numbers under 10 lbs and the other 2 were 16 and 18 lbs. They swapped the two (supposedly bad tires) with two new ones. The 2 new ones balanced at 11 and 13 lbs (or somewhere around there). These tires have NO DEFECTs I told them. The issue was not baoancing. And yet the pulsation buffeting at 68 to 75 still continued.

So I start working with the regional rep directly. They have me remove the cross bars, rotate the tires so the lower road force ones were in front. They asked me to run premium fuel in the Armada for several tanks and report back. They asked that I shift in to Neutral while it's vibrating and report back. They had me drive another 2018; an SL this time. 4wd and 2wd. Try also had it. But the 2wd was better than all the other 4wds.

Lastly, they have me drive not 1, not 2, but 3 Infiniti QX80s. NONE of the Infiniti's have this issue.

So the case gets escalated and a regional rep comes out to drive with me. He feels my car and we drive another brand new 2018 Platinum. Both cars experience this issue and he feels it in real time just like his foreman did.

I can't go any deeper into where my case it at but based on what I gathered from questions during my test drive and an automotive engineer testing driving it, here's what appears be happening.

The Armada and the Infiniti share the same engine and transmission. The TCM and ECM for the Infiniti has been tuned for premium fuel. The TCM and ECM for the Armada are tuned for regular gas.

Due to retarding of the timing for regular gas, the torque converter does not fully engaged they way it does in the premium fuel QX80. And what your experiencing at these RPM ranges while holding a steady speed 68-72 mph or accelerating to 80 and releasing the gas and letting it slow down to 65 is the torque converter shuddering.

Nissan engineers were consulted, and the official statement we received from Nissan and it's engineers is that the TCM and the Armada was designed this way and it's a CHARACTERISTIC of the vehicle.

You don't have to take my word for it, especially since Nissan denies all of it. I can't discuss what I'm doing about it, but it's a defect.

They could reprogram the TCM but folks would more than likely have to change their fuel and then the Nissan's big selling point of regular fuel for the Armada would be a mute selling point.

Just because every single one does it, doesn't make it ok.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13

What you're experiencing is a buffeting sound that starts at about 65 and continues up to about 82 mph. More specifically, it starts around 1650 rpms and goes till not 2000 to 2100 rpms.

It also brings about a steering wheel shake that can be considered bad balancing. You're going to get the wheels road force balanced, but it will not be fixed.

The best part...every single 2018 and 2019 I've driven does it. It is a defect in the Armadas. Not just my 2018 Platinum.

So here's my story when I bought the truck it had 75 miles. I immediately felt the vibration, booming, buffeting but it ranged form 55 mph to 80 mph. The dealership said it just needs a balancing, so I took possession because I had to leave town. During my drive I noticed that the vibration and buffeting was very apparent at 70 mph. When I returned I had 750 miles on the odometer, I had them do a road force balance. The vibration at 55 to 68 was gone, but the buffeting, pulsation, and vibration in the steering wheel and body at 68 and up was still there.

Returned to the dealer at 2000 miles and had them rebalance the wheels again. Nothing changed.

Went to another dealership (just in case the other guys had a uncalibrated road force balancer) and this other dealer yeilded the same results.

The foreman at dealership # 2 drove with me and experienced the buffeting and vibration.

THEN we drove another brand new 2018 platinum together and this one ALSO had the same exact issue.

So the foreman gets Nissan Consumer affairs involved and contacts the district service manager. (The regional rep). They say the only way both cars are experiencing this would be because they both have Bridgestones on them. It's the only common factor.

The issue was not resolved. We had dealership 1 & 2 road force balance the Michelins. The issue was not resolved. 2 tires had RF numbers under 10 lbs and the other 2 were 16 and 18 lbs. They swapped the two (supposedly bad tires) with two new ones. The 2 new ones balanced at 11 and 13 lbs (or somewhere around there). These tires have NO DEFECTs I told them. The issue was not baoancing. And yet the pulsation buffeting at 68 to 75 still continued.

So I start working with the regional rep directly. They have me remove the cross bars, rotate the tires so the lower road force ones were in front. They asked me to run premium fuel in the Armada for several tanks and report back. They asked that I shift in to Neutral while it's vibrating and report back. They had me drive another 2018; an SL this time. 4wd and 2wd. Try also had it. But the 2wd was better than all the other 4wds.

Lastly, they have me drive not 1, not 2, but 3 Infiniti QX80s. NONE of the Infiniti's have this issue.

So the case gets escalated and a regional rep comes out to drive with me. He feels my car and we drive another brand new 2018 Platinum. Both cars experience this issue and he feels it in real time just like his foreman did.

I can't go any deeper into where my case it at but based on what I gathered from questions during my test drive and an automotive engineer testing driving it, here's what appears be happening.

The Armada and the Infiniti share the same engine and transmission. The TCM and ECM for the Infiniti has been tuned for premium fuel. The TCM and ECM for the Armada are tuned for regular gas.

Due to retarding of the timing for regular gas, the torque converter does not fully engaged they way it does in the premium fuel QX80. And what your experiencing at these RPM ranges while holding a steady speed 68-72 mph or accelerating to 80 and releasing the gas and letting it slow down to 65 is the torque converter shuddering.

Nissan engineers were consulted, and the official statement we received from Nissan and it's engineers is that the TCM and the Armada was designed this way and it's a CHARACTERISTIC of the vehicle.

You don't have to take my word for it, especially since Nissan denies all of it. I can't discuss what I'm doing about it, but it's a defect.

They could reprogram the TCM but folks would more than likely have to change their fuel and then the Nissan's big selling point of regular fuel for the Armada would be a mute selling point.

AKA_QX80,

Thank you for your input. I totally agree with what you said. After couple months "fight" with Nissan. They told me that's the characteristic of this vehicle. I believe we got the same result. I know why you couldn't go any deeper in your case.

Actually, I'm in procedure of having a new set of tires and rims. Last time the dealer swapped out a new set of tires and rims, the buffeting noise got reduced a lot. And I have to mention this, I tried a white 2019 SV, which has smaller rims, it has no buffeting noise, but I forget it is a rear wheel drive or 4X4. I even thought the color could maters. I know the white color is a preimum color, you need to pay more for white. Since I can see the front hood always vibrating when driving on the highway.

I just couldn't believe that nobody mention this issue when they review this car. And nobody in this forum mention this issue. However, it is still the poor mans QX80, it has everything I need. I like it except the buffeting noise.

So, just wondering, you got a QX80 instead finally? :DThat would be nice!

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
AKA_QX80,

Thank you for your input. I totally agree with what you said. After couple months "fight" with Nissan. They told me that's the characteristic of this vehicle. I believe we got the same result. I know why you couldn't go any deeper in your case.

Actually, I'm in procedure of having a new set of tires and rims. Last time the dealer swapped out a new set of tires and rims, the buffeting noise got reduced a lot. And I have to mention this, I tried a white 2019 SV, which has smaller rims, it has no buffeting noise, but I forget it is a rear wheel drive or 4X4. I even thought the color could maters. I know the white color is a preimum color, you need to pay more for white. Since I can see the front hood always vibrating when driving on the highway.

I just couldn't believe that nobody mention this issue when they review this car. And nobody in this forum mention this issue. However, it is still the poor mans QX80, it has everything I need. I like it except the buffeting noise.

So, just wondering, you got a QX80 instead finally? :DThat would be nice!
Color doesn't matter.

I don't have a replacement yet, still working it. It's out of my hands and in the hands of the professionals.

Keep in mind that a characteristic doesn't mean it's normal.

The 2014 to 2018 GMC Yukon's rood bows separated from the sheet metal and caused ear pounding buffeting. GMC brushed it off as a characteristic since they all did it.

GMC lost every case that went against them. But that's the goal...not everyone will complain. Not everyone will fight it. So losing a few battles while selling 1000s of vehicles is worth it to them. And if you can do it while saving money on poor craftsmanship and engineering, it's it even better.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Also want to ask, is it ok to reprogram the TCM but keep using regular gas to avoid the buffeting noise? Haven't check QX80's handbook, but my G37 needs to use preimum, the preimum is not recommend, it's a mandatory use.

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Also want to ask, is it ok to reprogram the TCM but keep using regular gas to avoid the buffeting noise? Haven't check QX80's handbook, but my G37 needs to use preimum, the preimum is not recommend, it's a mandatory use.
Well...if you found someone to reprogram the TCM without Nissan approval, then you'd be out of warranty anyways. So you could use what ever fuel you want. Ultimately, you'd probably only experience spark knock.

·
Premium Member
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep, I heard the Yukon's case, that's why I didn't choose it.
My replacement still has the same buffeting problem. I posted this post after I tested the replacement. The replacement also had another couple issues. So I didn't take it. I believe Nissan has low quality control on the production line.

And it's hard to find another same size car give me the same comfortable ride in local at the same price.

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
These are great details and I appreciate you guys sharing this information. I had the 2010 Armada and it was great. So when we had to get a new car due to a wreck, the latest (2018) Armada sounded like a sure bet. Sitting in it and admiring it, it looks great. But driving it is another story. My wife has heard me complain about it enough that she suggest I trade it in. I've thought about it. I've been tempted to test drive another Armada just to see if it feels the same. If it does, I can feel less concerned that mine is a dud.

I realize many of you cannot relate and think the rest of us are off our rocker - consider yourself lucky.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks for the information.
Shortly after buying my 2019 Armada in June 2019, I began to experience a slight oscillating frequency (vehicle shutter) between 70 & 80 km/hr and between 100 and 110 km/hr.
Thinking it may be due to one or more of the stock tires and knowing that I would be installing winter tires before the end of year, I never brought the vehicle to the garage to investigate.
Yesterday, I had new winter tires installed and the slight vehicle shutter is still present at the above noted speeds. An internet research indicates that the problem may be associated to drive shaft or other things.
I suspect that if I want to get rid of the issue, I may have to make many visits to the dealer to get the problem diagnosed.
As there are other same style Armadas available at the dealer, I am going to test run them to see if the problem is also present with those vehicles

·
Registered
95 Posts
2018 Armada here. Have only run 87 octane. Have driven highway at all speeds, with no load, and with a 6k trailer.
I have never noticed any of the shuddering you speak of.

The engine will control timing to mitigate detonation, it can also force a downshift to increase RPM (since detonation occurs at high load-low RPM situations). I have never heard of any vehicle modulating the TC to mitigate detonation. If this is standard operation I would like to see the transmission logic or an official statement from Nissan stating such.

Now what I have heard and read about is a TSB on the 2nd gen Armada transmission logic. This requires a dealer flash to update the transmission logic software. Some vehicles were effected and others not, all has to do with when a certain batch of ECM/TCM were programmed, not necessarily the build date of the vehicle.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts