Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
Thanks for the information.
Shortly after buying my 2019 Armada in June 2019, I began to experience a slight oscillating frequency (vehicle shutter) between 70 & 80 km/hr and between 100 and 110 km/hr.
Thinking it may be due to one or more of the stock tires and knowing that I would be installing winter tires before the end of year, I never brought the vehicle to the garage to investigate.
Yesterday, I had new winter tires installed and the slight vehicle shutter is still present at the above noted speeds. An internet research indicates that the problem may be associated to drive shaft or other things.
I suspect that if I want to get rid of the issue, I may have to make many visits to the dealer to get the problem diagnosed.
As there are other same style Armadas available at the dealer, I am going to test run them to see if the problem is also present with those vehicles
It will be present in every single one.

Nissan swapped my Bridgestones with Michelins. Took my Road Force numbers from 29-32 lbs down to 8-11 lbs.

Still present.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Thanks for the information.
Shortly after buying my 2019 Armada in June 2019, I began to experience a slight oscillating frequency (vehicle shutter) between 70 & 80 km/hr and between 100 and 110 km/hr.
Thinking it may be due to one or more of the stock tires and knowing that I would be installing winter tires before the end of year, I never brought the vehicle to the garage to investigate.
Yesterday, I had new winter tires installed and the slight vehicle shutter is still present at the above noted speeds. An internet research indicates that the problem may be associated to drive shaft or other things.
I suspect that if I want to get rid of the issue, I may have to make many visits to the dealer to get the problem diagnosed.
As there are other same style Armadas available at the dealer, I am going to test run them to see if the problem is also present with those vehicles

Interesting post. I've also been experiencing this "humming" noise at the same speed (between 100 and 110 Kmh). I went in a couple of days ago to my local dealership to have it checked out. I ended up bringing along the Service Manager for a ride so he could hear the noise. Sure enough, he heard it and then suggested it was a tire issue. I said fine, let's put my winter tires on and see if it clears the noise. So, after swapping out the tires and rims, we went back out for another test drive. Once again, the noise was evident - it didn't change with the winter tires. The Service Manager then suggested that we take out a new Armada. We ended up with a 2019 SL model, identical to mine. We both heard the noise loud and clear. He wasn't sure what to say, other than the noise is not being caused by the tires (ruled that out).

As for it being a torque converter issue (I read another post above that spoke of this), he wasn't sold on that being the problem. He stated that the torque converter would not replicate a noise that accurately from one vehicle to another. I did mention that the QX80 doesn't seem to do have the noise (also as noted in a prior post above), as they are tuned differently than the Armada. His take on this was that maybe the QX80 has the noise issue, but it may have been shifted to another point in the RPM band as part of the original ECM tune. Interesting comment, but not backed up by any facts.

In any event, I'm not impressed that a vehicle considered to be a flagship model, with a high-level of quality and a great pedigree, would continue to be manufactured with an "issue" of this nature and not correct it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Welcome to poor Nissan craftsmanship.

STAY WITH ME. THIS IS IS GOING TO BE LONG.

What you're experiencing is a buffeting sound that starts at about 65 and continues up to about 82 mph. More specifically, it starts around 1650 rpms and goes till not 2000 to 2100 rpms.

It also brings about a steering wheel shake that can be considered bad balancing. You're going to get the wheels road force balanced, but it will not be fixed.

The best part...every single 2018 and 2019 I've driven does it. It is a defect in the Armadas. Not just my 2018 Platinum.

So here's my story when I bought the truck it had 75 miles. I immediately felt the vibration, booming, buffeting but it ranged form 55 mph to 80 mph. The dealership said it just needs a balancing, so I took possession because I had to leave town. During my drive I noticed that the vibration and buffeting was very apparent at 70 mph. When I returned I had 750 miles on the odometer, I had them do a road force balance. The vibration at 55 to 68 was gone, but the buffeting, pulsation, and vibration in the steering wheel and body at 68 and up was still there.

Returned to the dealer at 2000 miles and had them rebalance the wheels again. Nothing changed.

Went to another dealership (just in case the other guys had a uncalibrated road force balancer) and this other dealer yeilded the same results.

The foreman at dealership # 2 drove with me and experienced the buffeting and vibration.

THEN we drove another brand new 2018 platinum together and this one ALSO had the same exact issue.

So the foreman gets Nissan Consumer affairs involved and contacts the district service manager. (The regional rep). They say the only way both cars are experiencing this would be because they both have Bridgestones on them. It's the only common factor.

So they replace my Bridgestones with 4 new Michelins.

The issue was not resolved. We had dealership 1 & 2 road force balance the Michelins. The issue was not resolved. 2 tires had RF numbers under 10 lbs and the other 2 were 16 and 18 lbs. They swapped the two (supposedly bad tires) with two new ones. The 2 new ones balanced at 11 and 13 lbs (or somewhere around there). These tires have NO DEFECTs I told them. The issue was not baoancing. And yet the pulsation buffeting at 68 to 75 still continued.

So I start working with the regional rep directly. They have me remove the cross bars, rotate the tires so the lower road force ones were in front. They asked me to run premium fuel in the Armada for several tanks and report back. They asked that I shift in to Neutral while it's vibrating and report back. They had me drive another 2018; an SL this time. 4wd and 2wd. Try also had it. But the 2wd was better than all the other 4wds.

Lastly, they have me drive not 1, not 2, but 3 Infiniti QX80s. NONE of the Infiniti's have this issue.

So the case gets escalated and a regional rep comes out to drive with me. He feels my car and we drive another brand new 2018 Platinum. Both cars experience this issue and he feels it in real time just like his foreman did.

I can't go any deeper into where my case it at but based on what I gathered from questions during my test drive and an automotive engineer testing driving it, here's what appears be happening.

The Armada and the Infiniti share the same engine and transmission. The TCM and ECM for the Infiniti has been tuned for premium fuel. The TCM and ECM for the Armada are tuned for regular gas.

Due to retarding of the timing for regular gas, the torque converter does not fully engaged they way it does in the premium fuel QX80. And what your experiencing at these RPM ranges while holding a steady speed 68-72 mph or accelerating to 80 and releasing the gas and letting it slow down to 65 is the torque converter shuddering.

Nissan engineers were consulted, and the official statement we received from Nissan and it's engineers is that the TCM and the Armada was designed this way and it's a CHARACTERISTIC of the vehicle.

You don't have to take my word for it, especially since Nissan denies all of it. I can't discuss what I'm doing about it, but it's a defect.

They could reprogram the TCM but folks would more than likely have to change their fuel and then the Nissan's big selling point of regular fuel for the Armada would be a mute selling point.

Just because every single one does it, doesn't make it ok.
Late to the party.
Thank you for the explanation of your experience! I just picked up a used 2018 SL with 45,000 km. Test drove the Armada liked it. Bought it. Then driving on highways anywhere between 1500 and 2100 RPM I became aware there is a faint vibration mainly felt in the gas pedal while the engine is gaining tourqe. I thought I was crazy or something was definitely wrong. Spoke to dealer and they said they all do it. It's just the 5.6L V8 they said. Anything we can do? Do you think it will cause a shorter life for the engine?

·
Super Moderator
5,554 Posts
no they "ALL dont do it". ive a 12 qx which is the same platform now as the second gen armada and ive not had any vibration issues. thats not to say there aren't some people out there who are experiencing issues but that is NOT a fair statement to say. car salesmen/service writers tell people stuff like that to appease the customer and kick the can down the street away from them trying to explain something they don't know the answer to.

·
Registered
3 Posts
no they "ALL dont do it". ive a 12 qx which is the same platform now as the second gen armada and ive not had any vibration issues. thats not to say there aren't some people out there who are experiencing issues but that is NOT a fair statement to say. car salesmen/service writers tell people stuff like that to appease the customer and kick the can down the street away from them trying to explain something they don't know the answer to.
  1. I agree. I had a different can of worms to focus on when I brought up the engine tick/knock (Sevice bulletin in affect as of July 22 2019) they checked mine out and sent in the snake can footage of the cylinders and it was confirmed by Nissan Canada to receive a new short block (I asked for a long block) I ended up getting a new short block engine replacement before signing the dotted line. Thought I made it out of the dealer winning. Now this vibration I'll have to deal with until my warranty runs out.
  2. Threw in the PDF of the bulliten that got me most of a free engine .Figure anyone here is looking at engine issues anyway.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
They all do it. And by all, I mean Armadas. During my documentation, I test drove several Armadas and several qx80s.

Every Armada did it. No 80 did it.

It's the same drive train. It has something to do with the programming to the TCM/torque converter/or maybe they did put a lesser quality drive line on the Armada.

What ever it is, Nissan is aware and they are saying it's characteristic of the Armadas.

I'm am certain it has something to do with the programming to retard the TCM for regular fuel vs premium. But there's days I feel it's the drive shaft pulsating.

When the Nissan reps came to the dealership, they came in a qx80 and drove an Armada and they said it wasn't "normal", but it's being classified as a "characteristic." WTF.

I dont know about you, but keeping the vehicle in between 1500 and 2000 rpms makes for a miserable driving experience.

·
Registered
4 Posts
They all do it. And by all, I mean Armadas. During my documentation, I test drove several Armadas and several qx80s.

Every Armada did it. No 80 did it.

It's the same drive train. It has something to do with the programming to the TCM/torque converter/or maybe they did put a lesser quality drive line on the Armada.

What ever it is, Nissan is aware and they are saying it's characteristic of the Armadas.

I'm am certain it has something to do with the programming to retard the TCM for regular fuel vs premium. But there's days I feel it's the drive shaft pulsating.

When the Nissan reps came to the dealership, they came in a qx80 and drove an Armada and they said it wasn't "normal", but it's being classified as a "characteristic." WTF.

I dont know about you, but keeping the vehicle in between 1500 and 2000 rpms makes for a miserable driving experience.
I'm under the impression that the more I hear from folks about their personal experiences, the more I'm convinced that this "issue" has not been addressed by Nissan, for whatever reason. Is it very dissappointing that a vehicle of this calibre is still being sold with what Nissan describes as a known "characteristic", which is probably easily correctable. I totally agree with your opinion on having to experience the noise/vibration each time I drive it in this particular RPM band. It's more than a minor annoyance.

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
So on my '07 Armada LE my general cruising speed on the freeway is 70-75mph. Of course that is the exact range where you feel the oscillation in the steering wheel. Makes it look like you have Parkinson's in your hand. I don't have noise though... just the oscillation. Wheel balancing and alignments have never done anything to correct it. Even with the Bilstein 4600's up front, it is there. I'm running Michelin LTX MS Defenders and balance/rotate them on a regular basis. They're in very good shape. This is my second set.

I've just recently replaced both front wheel hubs, swaybar bushings and end links. I haven't had a chance yet to get up on the freeway to see if this has any effect on the oscillation symptoms, but I will try to do it in the next few days and update.

Reactions: AKA_QX80

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
Unfortunately, this is a “characteristic” of the current gen Y62 armadas. AKA_QX80 hit it right on the mark with his post, with Nissan’s TCM programming to work with 87/regular unleaded fuel.
A co-worker of mine loved how long my previous 04 lasted, was even more impressed when I picked up my QX80. He ended up buying a brand new ‘18 Platinum last spring only to run into this issue. He had the reprogramming done, only for the same issue to return. Of course, with typical Nissan fashion, it was eventually explained to him as being a “characteristic” of the Y62. He traded it in for a ‘18 Tahoe as Nissan was just sweeping this issue under the rug.

·
Premium Member
101 Posts
Just want to chime in. I've been experiencing this 'vibration' since i bought it. It is really faint and i bet most drivers won't notice it. It's more rpm-specific than speed-specific and the vibration is mostly felt thru the accelerator pedal - and no, its 'cadence' isn't the same as wheel vibration, this one's higher frequency. I would regard it as normal if it can be felt all throughout the rpm range. Brought it to two different nissan dealerships a few months ago and they both said its normal. Oh well, hopefully they are right.

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
I understand what you and Primo are saying, and that my above description isn't exactly what most of you guys are experiencing. However, some are experiencing the shimmy in the steering wheel that I experience at certain speeds. As such, I am sharing any mods/upgrades I am doing in the front suspension that may help alleviate that particular symptom. The more info shared, the better. :)

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
So on my '07 Armada LE my general cruising speed on the freeway is 70-75mph. Of course that is the exact range where you feel the oscillation in the steering wheel. Makes it look like you have Parkinson's in your hand. I don't have noise though... just the oscillation. Wheel balancing and alignments have never done anything to correct it. Even with the Bilstein 4600's up front, it is there. I'm running Michelin LTX MS Defenders and balance/rotate them on a regular basis. They're in very good shape. This is my second set.

I've just recently replaced both front wheel hubs, swaybar bushings and end links. I haven't had a chance yet to get up on the freeway to see if this has any effect on the oscillation symptoms, but I will try to do it in the next few days and update.
I know this has nothing to do with the Y62s' issue but take a look at the rack and pinion bushings. These bushings are overlooked and they do wear out. On my 04 LE, it was an independent alignment shop and NOT Nissan that figured out why the alignment kept going out of spec and the ABS/SLIP light would turn on after hitting uneven pavement or making a turn on a helix. Nissan tried selling me that the ABS module was defected even though the 04 wasn't experiencing any ABS or braking related issues.
The r&p bushings (2) were so rotted, the r&p would prematurely shift up/down, left/right and cause the ABS/SLIP lights to trigger when in certain driving conditions I mentioned. I found polyurethane bushings for the r&p on eBay; once installed, what a world of a difference. Even with the 04 with its 1.5" lift, on 22s with Atturo AT tires, the play in the steering was gone, along with the ABS/SLIP lights triggering prematurely.

Reactions: tchjts1

·
Premium Member
28 Posts
There's two different vibrations. This has been tested and verified in 12 different Armadas and control tested against 7 different QX80s.

1) The oscillation/buffetting/shuddering that is felt through the body and can be heard is clearly RPM specific. It's hits around 1600 to 1750 rpms.

To duplicate it, take the vehicle up to 75 and cruises for a bit, then drop you speed down to 72 where you break into the 1750 RPM range. Then as you slow down tot 65 and the rpms drop to 1600, you hear the buffetting and feel the shuddering. Once you duplicate it and hear it once, you hear it at all the different speeds that cause you to fall into the same RPM range such as 82 to 79 mph range and so forth.

This issue is TCM, torque converter, 87 octane related. Maybe it's not, but that what gathered from the foremen and Nissan regional tech that have come out to assess the vehicle. It's what folks wanted they say. They said folks wanted to use regular fuel (demanded it), so here's the result.

2) The vibration in the steering wheel, (Parkinsons effect) is directly drive line (axle, drive shaft, AWD) related. We've swapped tires to Michelins twice (two sets), balanced and road force balanced wheels 7 times, switched wheels with other Armadas, etc...The steering wheel shake remains.

This begins mildly at at 68 and progresses for there. It's strongest at 75 and up.

So if you speed up to avoid the shuddering, you get vibrations. If you slow down to avoid vibrations, you get shuddering.

And then there's the 68—72 range where both $65,000 "characteristics" are felt.

Regardless of which, these are not normal characteristics, since not 1 single QX80, exhibits these issues.

These are not wear and tear issues. These issues are present on the vehicles from day 1, with 3 miles on the odometer.

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
I know this has nothing to do with the Y62s' issue but take a look at the rack and pinion bushings. These bushings are overlooked and they do wear out.
Thanks for the head's up, bud! I'll make note of that in my maintenance notes.

·
Registered
18 Posts
A few days ago I had posted a concern about some engine vibration. Now I see no one has answered so I assume my description was probably on the vague side. The vibration can be felt on the steering wheel, the shifter handle and on the gas pedal. Generally to a minor degree through the whole vehicle. Now it isn't during the entire time you are accelerating. It feels like once you are out of 1st and 2nd gear, it dissipates. Now I do have some mechanical background and I am trying connect the dots here on what I think this could be. Harmonic balancer …… torque converter...….drive shafts......motor mount or possible a bad injector ??? Please, if anyone out there has had an issue like this with some degree of successful resolution, I would be so anxious to hear. It is hard to get to the dealership and be able to have contact with the mechanics with this Covid 19 going on. Thanks in advance....Allan. Stay safe out there..

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi, I guess I've missed your original posts ( new to forum - 1 month now). I believe you and I have the same issue. Only difference is mines dissipates at 4th gear....never fails. Now this is a 2019 model and I've only had family ride in it ( family car). Family of 7 and no one feels any vibration where they sit so I sense I am the only one who feels it on gas pedal., floor board. All of your suggestions regarding torque converter, mount, drive shafts, harmonic balancer are all possibilities. I plan on bringing this up to dealership on next service. I am leaning towards torque converter. I dont think it is a mount tbh. I cant replicate that sensation on 4th gear or higher. It simply happens on the lower gears. I will definitely keep in touch with you. Only unfortunate thing is that I do not plan on going to dealership soon :( . I have about 1500 miles until I plan on seeing those guys again. However once I do get it checked, I'll message you.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi, I guess I've missed your original posts ( new to forum - 1 month now). I believe you and I have the same issue. Only difference is mines dissipates at 4th gear....never fails. Now this is a 2019 model and I've only had family ride in it ( family car). Family of 7 and no one feels any vibration where they sit so I sense I am the only one who feels it on gas pedal., floor board. All of your suggestions regarding torque converter, mount, drive shafts, harmonic balancer are all possibilities. I plan on bringing this up to dealership on next service. I am leaning towards torque converter. I dont think it is a mount tbh. I cant replicate that sensation on 4th gear or higher. It simply happens on the lower gears. I will definitely keep in touch with you. Only unfortunate thing is that I do not plan on going to dealership soon :( . I have about 1500 miles until I plan on seeing those guys again. However once I do get it checked, I'll message you.

Thank you very much again for your info and yes please keep in touch as I will to see if we can get this figured out. Stay safe ! Allan.

Discussion Starter • #3 a moment ago
Narmada said:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Ugh! That is my greatest concern. I would be border line livid if a mechanic placed 22 miles of joy ride to my car and for some reason that is what I sense will happen (happened to me before). I will make sure to have the time and spend the day with the vehicle at the dealership and test drive with a mechanic if it is possible. One would think since the vehicle is still under warranty they would feel more obligated to try and resolve issues. I will keep in contact with you. I think when that time comes I'll be prepared to take some days off of work and make sure these guys really check out everything. I'm certain I'll have to be somewhat stern with the service advisor to take this matter seriously and check everything. Must admit, I truly feel this has something to do with our torque converters.

I've seen many posts on forums and comments / videos from Nissan Titan owners having a serious vibration issue. Seems like there is not a fix from what I've seen. I am just happy and blessed the vibration is minimal and something that only I can feel in gas pedal ever so lightly. Your post caught my attention and makes me want to look into it further. Curious to see if it can be eliminated though.

Update: Took vehicle to dealer for oil change / maintenance. Explained this matter to Service Advisor and advised him to check Transmission mount, engine mount, catalytic convert and if there are any such mounts in that area....heat shields..you name it. I declined having a tech take the vehicle for a joy ride. After completing maintenance items, Service Advisor returned and said his mechanic thoroughly checked items / underbody and could not find anything loose or that would cause any sort of slight vibrations. I have to go back to dealer for steering wheel being off-center from their alignment and I will approach a different service advisor.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for the info. I sat in my garage and ran up the rpm's on the Armada ( not too high !) and thought maybe I could feel the vibration in the engine. But it was smooth as could be. No vibration felt at all. So I am just assuming here that it would be somewhere in the rest of the drive train. The fact that the mechanic did not find anything still is not reassuring. I think a lot of us fail to have much faith in our dealerships anymore. So I guess until someone out there hits the jackpot and has a solution, we will be living with that annoying vibration. So sad.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You are right. When idling and running up rpms there is no vibration or buzzing at all.

Update: I went to a different Nissan Dealership about an hour away for maintenance (oil change, tire rotation). I spoke to service advisor in depth about this issue. He ultimately advised a transmission fluid drain and fill. I told him I have not done such a service in any of my vehicles the past 20 years and that I do not tow with the Armada so I doubt that would make a difference. I can now say it has. Although I still sense it ever so slightly, but it has nearly gone away. My driveway is on an incline...before I would hear this loud clunk when reversing out of my incline, but now it just goes to reverse smoothly. I am so happy. He also checked if there was any loose mounts and he said the tech could not find anything out of the ordinary.

21 - 40 of 48 Posts