Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone

writing from Ontario Canada. Grabbed a used 2018 Armada here in Ontario. Didn't have to go down States this time for vehicle purchase, lol. I always liked the older Patrols. Armada is very close in resemblance to it. Anyways I needed a 7/8 seater non minivan vehicle.

Had a 2004 Acura MDX, that ran pretty good and was still running when traded in but need more space now. Tested lot of vehicles in the market, i think Armada is a very good bargain. What I learnt was do not believe others experiences and even Youtube vehicle vloggers. Their experiences and impressions on cars are different to what we actual consumers will find.
For example, lot of new third row SUVs come with sliding second row seats, Armada or QX80 doesn't have it but they don't need. There is enough room in the second row even for a 6 foot person. Reviews say to leave the third row for kids, its not true at all. I'm 5'10 and can sit comfortably in the third row, this is without the need to adjust the second row as found in some SUVs . It has enough cargo space with all seats up.

There are three things I want to fix
  • improve gas mileage, will look into some threads
  • reduce bounciness
  • Using wheel spacers/adapters to get wheels out more, get more flush look
Thanks for having me aboard

·
Premium Member
204 Posts
Welcome! I'm not sure about the 2nd gen, but I do know on the 1st gen that third row is not great for taller people. My brother is 6'2" and when he came along a trip he sat in the 3rd row and he had to slouch so his head didn't hit the ceiling.

But overall, I agree, the Armada is quite roomy and it is much better than a minivan :)

·
Premium Member
362 Posts

·
Super Moderator
4,907 Posts
Hello and welcome.

The car is 6000 pounds. It’s a 5.6L V8. You are not going to save petrol unless you drive 2mph.
Bilistien shocks are highly recommended !! Much discussion on the forums about them
Would advise against wheel spacers. Not good for the suspension. My opinion.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
Yeah, wheel spacers are a scary thing, I've seen too many fail catastrophically.
If you want rims flush with the wheel wells get some aftermarket rims with a different offset.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hello and welcome.

The car is 6000 pounds. It’s a 5.6L V8. You are not going to save petrol unless you drive 2mph.
Bilistien shocks are highly recommended !! Much discussion on the forums about them
I meant wheel spacers which are hubcentric and have their own bolts, sometimes these are referred to wheel adapters. They are used in racing, off roading, etc so if a quality one is purchased not sure why they wouldn't work. I would stay off from Chinese made products being sold on Ebay or Amazon.

There is a post on 2nd gen sub forum about modifying something in the ECU tables to improve gas mileage.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
I meant wheel spacers which are hubcentric and have their own bolts, sometimes these are referred to wheel adapters. They are used in racing, off roading, etc so if a quality one is purchased not sure why they wouldn't work.
Yep, those are the spacers I was talking about.
Just be careful with them, there isn't much aluminum holding those studs in. Follow the torque specs to the letter and check them often for cracks or damage, I don't care if they are ebay spacers or high dollar racing spacers.
Just be careful.

·
Super Moderator
4,907 Posts
Yes same wheel spaces I know you were talking about. I’d steer (no pun :) ) clear of them and just get aftermarket wheels.

Modifying the ECM to get “better” petrol mileage will come at some reduced output/performance of the engine. This sucker is thirsty by design :). ]Tthe only way too see any real savings is to not drive it or drive very slowly and start off the line and ease into the pedal. You can see the petrol gauge on the instrument cluster drop down to like 0 miles per gallon sometimes.. :p .

I am well aware of the discussion on petrol mileage on thees cars. Ive been on this site for many years and others also and this discussion has been going on for ever. In the end you dont claim any real world MPG and people should not purchase this car (I’m not speaking to you directly sir) if they want to save on petrol costs.

That said, Ive a K&N CAI, magaflow muffler (removed stock muff and resonator) and i drive “spiritedly”. My car is my daily driver (2012 qx 22 inch wheels fully loaded) and I get 14 mpg average. That’s better than I thought I would get with my driving patterns. :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So stay clear from wheel adapters. Interesting to know.
1lowcab , the picture you posted of a broken adapter, is it from an Armada?
Not even adapters made from Billet aluminum?

About fuel economy i was going off a post in the 2nd gen forums. It seems to be a possible valid solution. There are few owners who have reported 19 to 22 mpg at least on hwy, dont think they were too conservatively either.
These are v8 vehicles but with Direct injection and ecu modifications every second on the fuel and power delivery it is possible. Technology on cars has changed in the past 8 to years.
Yeah im suprised that the v8 is getting at least mpg same as my 2004 Acura MDX.
As you know there are other things that affect like driver behavior, tires pressure, wheel size.
So thanks for the info guys.

·
Premium Member
362 Posts
No, that was actually on a GTR, I just grabbed a pic off the net of the carnage. I don't have any pics of the ones I've seen personally.
I won't lie, I have run them in the past but they always made me really nervous and I checked them all the time.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Hello and welcome.

Are you referring to any specific shocks? I can't find anything firm for new armadas..

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Are you referring to any specific shocks? I can't find anything firm for new armadas..
Most of the recommendations including by moderator in this forum refer to previous generation Armada.
Most of the answers I got in this forum are very vague and specific to older Armadas.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Welcome, I'd bet my 17 might get better mileage if it didn't make that beautiful V8 noise I like to hear. The 6 second 0-60 doesn't help either :). Welcome and enjoy!

·
Premium Member
93 Posts
1 - 19 of 19 Posts