Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
After extensive research and multiple test drives, I recently purchased a white 2018 Nissan Armada Platinum AWD. I've barely got 500 miles on it, but here are my summarized thoughts.

2017 -> 2018 Changes:
1. Optional Intelligent Rear View Mirror on higher trims
2. Slightly updated infotainment system that's a bit more modern (but still outdated)
3. More USB ports, loss of aux-in jack option
4. Rear Seat Entertainment system replaced RCA-in jack with HDMI

PROS:

+ Great engine and transmission performance
+ Very minimal road/wind noise
+ Comfortable to drive; excellent highway cruiser
+ Nice interior with lots of good quality leather
+ Around View Monitor is great; I'm now becoming OCD about parking "in the lines."
+ Good value for the utility and functionality provided
+ True solid body-on-frame platform allows for respectable towing capacity
+ It looks really nice; already getting compliments and inquiries from curious drivers
+ Most safety tech actually works; blind spot monitoring/intervention, adaptive cruise control; back-up intervention, etc.
+ Very comfortable seats for 4 adults with captain chair package
+ Rear seat entertainment system may lack blu-ray, but now has HDMI for 2018, and works well.
+ Great LED headlights

CONS:

- Creaking plastics around dash and center console
- Outdated infotainment system; no android/apple, ancient monochrome DIC in center console, old software/UI, etc.
- 3rd Row can be tight, and takes up lots of room when folded down (creates a notable angle in cargo area)
- No LED for high-beam or fog lights
- Some dash controls aren't the most intuitive, are too small, and can be a stretch to reach
- Steering is vague, light, and over-assisted
- Handling is better than some claim, but can exhibit more body roll than I'd like
- Poor MPG (but only requires 87 octane)

OTHER:

* The Bose stereo is respectable with a good high quality audio source; I'd still like a better "upgrade" option for high-level trims
* Intelligent rear view mirror is handy, but do find it hard to use permanently due to relatively lower resolution which make identification of rear objects difficult and sometimes appear "artificial."
* The front fake skid-plate and section of the rear bumper are painted silver regardless of vehicle color. This should either be body color or match the accent "gray" color on the rest of the vehicle.
* You tend to sit higher than expected due to feeling as though you sit "on" seats, versus "in" them.
* While they've added more for 2018, needs more USB ports and an aux-in jack (especially in center console)

OVERALL:

Obviously the Armada, and most full-size SUV's, aren't going to be as roomy, fuel efficient, or "practical" as a mini-van and some crossovers would be. It makes up for this with a powerful engine, capable off-road capabilities, towing, and overall comfort for passengers. My biggest issues continue to be the outdated infotainment tech and persistent creaking noises from cheap plastics. But if you need/want a vehicle in the class, it's a great value with available discounts.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I have 1100 miles on my 2018 SL with Premium Pkg. Your observations are very accurate. I went from a 2015 Audi Q7 to the Armada and I like the Armada better. It suits my needs perfectly, with lots of cargo space, deep-snow driving capabilities, and very comfortable in the cabin. While the infotainment is a little dated, I'm finding it at least acceptable. I'm hoping the reliability factor is ok, as my Audi was rock-solid in that department and the Armada gets questionable marks in Consumer Reports for reliability.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yeah, consumer reports "below average" predicted reliability status was slightly concerning. Although even with that statement, their website says they don't have sufficient data for detailed reporting either. And that goes for the Infiniti and Nissan. So that is based on limited data and/or general brand history.

Regardless, I did get a good deal on an extended warranty. So if does start to show signs of being unreliable down the road, it'll be easier to jump ship. Otherwise, I'm not worried about it. This vehicle has technically been around for a while. Which usually means they've worked out any major issues some time ago.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you having issues, or just wanted it?

I used to never buy them, and never needed them. It's just insurance, which you don't technically need in most cases. But seems with my recent vehicles, they've ended up paying off. Plus I got good deals on them. Think it's partly due to repairs increasing in cost, keeping vehicles longer, and I'm just more particular about any issues that show up.

I got the platinum warranty from the dealer for that "peace of mind." It's your typical warranty that covers everything except for wear/tear items. Rental coverage, trip interruption, road side, etc.

$1,499 for 7 year/70k. $100 deductible. Which works for me and the amount of driving I do.

In fact, with the Armada, because it was at the dealer for ~5 weeks, the rental alone has just about paid for itself.

And keep in mind, you can always pickup an extended warranty later from either the dealer or other 3rd parties; they just tend to get pricier over time. Don't need to spend a lot. Or just run with what ya got. See how many unexpected visits you need while it's under manufacture warranty.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
Not having issues but on guard due to Reliability rating in consumer reports. However, you're right that they said little data exists to back this up.

I normally don't keep vehicles longer than 3 years but intend to keep this 4-5 years.

·
Premium Member
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just thought I'd throw out some random observations. Every vehicle has it's special quirks; here are some for the new Armada.

1. Abrupt torque converter engagement on throttle lift - This seems to be a "feature" of recent Nissan vehicles I've driven. Likely done for fuel efficiency, but that frequent "jolt" is quite annoying.
  2. Chrome finish around shifter area causes considerable glare from sun - I know this isn't unique to the Armada, but is a bit much
  3. Cup holders are too big...? - I've yet to find a beverage that fits properly. This is primarily due to the fact it's just a large plastic opening. No rubber backing to help adjust in size.
  4. Needs more practical storage for driver/passenger. - You can toss a phone in a cubby hole, but it's obviously not designed for this
  5. Grab handle for driver side - Last truck didn't have this, and I'm quite pleased to see it on the Armada.
  6. Power fold mirrors only work with vehicle turned on
  7. Rear windows actually go all the way down
  8. Auto Express up/down for all 4 windows!
  9. 3rd row does fold up/down electronically, it's just very slow
  10. Fuel Guage Inaccurate - With "0 range" and at empty, there is still ~5 out of 26 gallons left.
  11. Turning traction control off works - I've yet to find any nannies that get in the way once that little button is pushed. 4 wheel drift? Want to get it sideways? You'd be surprised what this powerful 3 ton vehicle can do, if you wish. :cool:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts