Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I’ve bought my 2018 Armada I’ve been having an issue with it starting. It only happens a few times a year. It sputters when starts and when I try to kill it by pushing the start button, I just hear a grinding noise like it is trying to start again. Yesterday it wouldn’t even try to start. It just clicked. After several tries it started with no problem and has been starting fine since then. It has around 35,000 miles. Any suggestions? It has been in the dealership a few times and they always say there are no codes and they can’t duplicate it to fix it.

·
Registered
2021 Nissan Armada SL
135 Posts
I’d check/replace the battery first. It’s the cheapest and easiest thing to rule out. And, batteries and electrical systems are super finicky and can cause the strangest problems. Just my opinion.

Do you still have a warranty? Leave it with the dealer!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’d check/replace the battery first. It’s the cheapest and easiest thing to rule out. And, batteries and electrical systems are super finicky and can cause the strangest problems. Just my opinion.

Do you still have a warranty? Leave it with the dealer!
It has been happening since it was new. I did change the battery and it still happened. It’s at dealer now for the third time for the same issue. It should be covered under warranty since I took it in before the warranty was up.

It has been happening since it was new. I did change the battery and it still happened. It’s at dealer now for the third time for the same issue. It should be covered under warranty since I took it in before the warranty was up.
Dealership just called and said the ecm needs to be updated.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Since I’ve bought my 2018 Armada I’ve been having an issue with it starting. It only happens a few times a year. It sputters when starts and when I try to kill it by pushing the start button, I just hear a grinding noise like it is trying to start again. Yesterday it wouldn’t even try to start. It just clicked. After several tries it started with no problem and has been starting fine since then. It has around 35,000 miles. Any suggestions? It has been in the dealership a few times and they always say there are no codes and they can’t duplicate it to fix it.
I had the same problem with the dying battery and the engine going into a spasm every once in a while. A couple of weeks or a month or two there was a article on this same problem and it was about removing the wire that's attached to the negative terminal on the battery that stops the battery from charging fully. So I disconnected the Molex connector and taped it up and now the battery charges up fully and no more miss fire when staring.
Check the previous articles on it. I have a 2018 Armada SE with only 32000 on it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
. Hello there. I have had the same issue with my 2017. One thing I have learned is to not press the ignition button in an attempt to stop the engine, as you already know it will re engage the starter against the flywheel. Since the car thinks it is running, you can press down on the brake pedal and move the shifter from Park to D. That will force the engine to stall. Then you can move the shifter back to Park and it should start normally. Mine has done this off and on every few months. No codes are left, so the dealer has no answers. It seems it may be a random ECM issue that causes the car to do this. Perhaps a reflash of the ECM may help. I know they had issues with the new generation Armadas and they all needed a reflash on Nissans expense. Good luck. Athan

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
. Hello there. I have had the same issue with my 2017. One thing I have learned is to not press the ignition button in an attempt to stop the engine, as you already know it will re engage the starter against the flywheel. Since the car thinks it is running, you can press down on the brake pedal and move the shifter from Park to D. That will force the engine to stall. Then you can move the shifter back to Park and it should start normally. Mine has done this off and on every few months. No codes are left, so the dealer has no answers. It seems it may be a random ECM issue that causes the car to do this. Perhaps a reflash of the ECM may help. I know they had issues with the new generation Armadas and they all needed a reflash on Nissans expense. Good luck. Athan
Dealership I stay new battery and reset the ecm

·
Registered
321 Posts
Anyone that installs a new battery should be disconnecting the sensor on the negative terminal. If that's not already complete or you don't intend to complete, you're just sending another battery to an early grave.

I too had the 1/2 start/sputtering issue. Plenty of other threads on here describing such and describing the fix. I disconnected the negative terminal sensor, never replaced the battery, and have never had another instance of this happening. Our temps in NC have dropped a bit in the last month and my battery is getting sluggish (going on 5 years old per manufacturer date). I will replace my battery sometime soon just out of necessity.

The newer generation Armada seem to be very particular about voltage. When the vehicle is cranking, the voltage sags considerably, the ECM see's that sag and goes a little wonky. Keeping the battery at a much healthier voltage ensures that the ECM never see's that voltage sag.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts