Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On a road trip this weekend I noticed that even when the AC light is not on, the AC is actually running and the compressor is running. Defrost mode is not on.

Modulating the inside temp to match the outside temp, I noticed that setting the temp to 67 degrees inside while hoping to run just the fan and keep airflow going resulted in freezing inside temp.

is it no longer possible to just have outside air flow?
The AC had not been on previously. I know in our pathfinder if you use the defrost you’d have to turn off the defrost and turn the truck off to reset and keep the ac compressor from coming on. (Super convenient....)

how do I keep the ac compressor off?

·
Administrator
6,333 Posts
page "4-34" in your operators manual

AUTOMATIC AIR CONDITIONER

Automatic operation Cooling and/or dehumidified heating (AUTO): This mode may be used all year round. The system works automatically to control the inside temperature, air flow distribution and fan speed after the preferred temperature is set manually.

1. Push the “AUTO” button on. (The indicator on the button will illuminate and AUTO will be displayed.)
2. Turn the temperature control dial (driver’s side) to set the desired temperature. The temperature of the passenger compartment will be maintained automatically. Air flow distribution and fan speed will also be controlled automatically.
3. You can individually set driver and front passenger’s side temperature using each temperature control button. When the “DUAL” button is pushed or the passenger’s side temperature control button is turned, the DUAL indicator will come on. To turn off the passenger’s side temperature control, push the “DUAL” button.

yes its possible to have outside air flow. there is a button that you can press that has an arrow pointing FROM the outside into the cabin, that will vent outside air. open the information screen on the display to see the AC controls to see what the system is doing.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the reply.
I didn’t have the “auto” setting on during this operation and the airflow was definitely set to “fresh” versus the recirculating setting.
I’ll try it again and see if the compressor stays on.

Same thing as before. Sitting in the car now. Idling with the climate control off. As soon as I push the plus (+) sign for the fan, the compressor kicks on. The “auto “ is not on and the “dual” is not on. The “fresh” air indicator is selected.

essentially I now have to have the ac compressor on any time the fan is on. The temp is set on 72 and it’s 60 outside.

·
Administrator
6,333 Posts
yes that's normal. the operator manual tell you this is what the system does.

if you dont want that on , you turn off hvac. the car should remember your settings the next time you turn the car on. i dont know if the armada have the memory settings , but if you save settings to the key fob, the car will setup to the settings of the particular fob thats in the vehicle.

im coming from a 2012 qx and the armada is based off the patrol just like the qx, so the hvac settings are the same. the compressor does not run continuously.

·
Registered
45 Posts
yes that's normal. the operator manual tell you this is what the system does.

if you dont want that on , you turn off hvac. the car should remember your settings the next time you turn the car on. i dont know if the armada have the memory settings , but if you save settings to the key fob, the car will setup to the settings of the particular fob thats in the vehicle.

im coming from a 2012 qx and the armada is based off the patrol just like the qx, so the hvac settings are the same. the compressor does not run continuously.
Owning a 2019 Armada and trying to control the HVAC system is a full time project while driving. All manufactures having switched several years ago to HVAC type of heating & cooling in our vehicles. These systems decrease fuel mileage as they operate, cause safety issues when operators are driving . The only way I see to drive these vehicles with these complicated systems is to have a co pilot with you at all times. Once again having reviewed the operator manual it still is a challenge to operate. An aftermarket control to keep the compressor off only when chosen by the driver would be an improvement.

Input appreciated.

·
Administrator
6,333 Posts
agree in that cars nowadays are more complicated than they need to be, and this hvac system may be a bit over engineered. some are comfy with these systems and others aren't.

in my case, with the qx, i was the only driver and the system stayed in the last state i had it in, so if i turned off the AC/compressor, it would stay off. my usual routine when getting in the car is to climb in, seatbelt, press the start button, use the + button to increase the air flow. AC/compressor was always off.

if some some reason i would have the ac on in my last drive session, and i turn off the car and later got back in, when i pressed the fan speed button, the ac woudl turn on.

maybe the armada system is different than the qx in this regard, but i cant see why nissan would go through all that to make them different.

·
Registered
45 Posts
agree in that cars nowadays are more complicated than they need to be, and this hvac system may be a bit over engineered. some are comfy with these systems and others aren't.

in my case, with the qx, i was the only driver and the system stayed in the last state i had it in, so if i turned off the AC/compressor, it would stay off. my usual routine when getting in the car is to climb in, seatbelt, press the start button, use the + button to increase the air flow. AC/compressor was always off.

if some some reason i would have the ac on in my last drive session, and i turn off the car and later got back in, when i pressed the fan speed button, the ac woudl turn on.

maybe the armada system is different than the qx in this regard, but i cant see why nissan would go through all that to make them different.
Thanks for the input. It should not be so complicated to understand.

·
Registered
5 Posts

On a road trip this weekend I noticed that even when the AC light is not on, the AC is actually running and the compressor is running. Defrost mode is not on.

Modulating the inside temp to match the outside temp, I noticed that setting the temp to 67 degrees inside while hoping to run just the fan and keep airflow going resulted in freezing inside temp.

is it no longer possible to just have outside air flow?
The AC had not been on previously. I know in our pathfinder if you use the defrost you’d have to turn off the defrost and turn the truck off to reset and keep the ac compressor from coming on. (Super convenient....)

how do I keep the ac compressor off?
I wish I had a good answer for you, but I struggle with the same issue in my 2018 Armada. And the personnel at the two dealerships I took it to seem to have no knowledge at all. One guy gave up and called me a day later to tell me that is the design of the system. Well that is not true because I've been able, on occasions, to get the compressor to turn off by using the mode button to set air flow to the floor vents only while making sure the auto climate and a/c button lights are out. And again, this hasn't always worked.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the reply.
I didn’t have the “auto” setting on during this operation and the airflow was definitely set to “fresh” versus the recirculating setting.
I’ll try it again and see if the compressor stays on.

Same thing as before. Sitting in the car now. Idling with the climate control off. As soon as I push the plus (+) sign for the fan, the compressor kicks on. The “auto “ is not on and the “dual” is not on. The “fresh” air indicator is selected.

essentially I now have to have the ac compressor on any time the fan is on. The temp is set on 72 and it’s 60 outside.
Hold down the inside airflow button until it starts flashing. That should turn off the compressor so that your AC is not constantly running and it’s only the fan.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hold down the inside airflow button until it starts flashing. That should turn off the compressor so that your AC is not constantly running and it’s only the fan.
*I will determine which button you are referring to the next time I am in the vehicle.
Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Are we talking
Technology Electronic device Automotive exterior Machine Cameras & optics

Not sure why that posted the
Pic twice. I held the recirc button down until it flashed. Compressor still comes on. I held the fresh button down until it flashed. Compressor still comes on. I restarted the car after these and the compressor still comes on.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Thanks for you effort to keep us all updated on this issue. I am still convinced it will take an after market method/product to resolve this issue.

Input appreciated.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for you effort to keep us all updated on this issue. I am still convinced it will take an after market method/product to resolve this issue.

Input appreciated.
Hi Brian, I am having the same issue. Do you have a solution yet?

·
Registered
2017 Armada Platinum
16 Posts
I have found the same on my 2017 when in what I call "full auto" mode. If you press the A/C button so the light is on, then press it again so it goes off, the compressor will then go off, and stay off till either you press the Auto or A/C button again.

Hope this helps.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts