Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, still working out some of the issues with the Bluetooth and audio connectivity. Just to summarize the BT issues, with both iPhone 8 and iPhone 12, when connected and trying to make a call from the car, probably 60% of the time when the person at the other end of the line answers the call, they just hear a horrible static noise, and the call immediately drops on the car end. I've heard that it may be an issue with Nissan compatibility with certain iPhone software. Either way is seems ridiculous that there can't be a fix for it. Dealer can "never recreate the problem". Yet almost every time my wife calls me from the car using BT, I get the horrible static and the call drops three or four times in a row until she disconnects Bluetooth and just uses the phone instead. Illegal and unsafe.

The audio issue is this: Since it's a waste of time to connect to BT, we usually just plug the phone into the USB port at the bottom of the console for music from the phone. The system recognizes the phone as "iPod", and that's what we select on the screen to listen to music. Half the time, a list of every song in our phones in alphabetical order will come up on the Armada screen. If we try to play music from the phone itself, a song will start and the corresponding song info will show on the Armada screen. Two seconds into the song, it will stop playing, and the song list will come back up on the Armada screen. No matter how many times I push play on a song in my phone, the song will stop two seconds in and the song list will come back up on the Armada screen. I have to disconnect my phone and reconnect it to get it to work. Sometimes it takes two or three cycles of this before I can actually play something.

Anyone else experience this? The intermittent issues that the dealer can't recreate on a $50k+ vehicle are infuriating. I have a $35k Hyundai Santa Fe and everything works flawlessly 100% of the time.

More of a rant then anything, but I'm curious if anyone with these issues has had any luck sorting them out. Thanks!

·
Administrator
6,306 Posts
i understand your rant. sadly the issues i see more often than not with these problems stems from users of Iphones.

Iphones are in a closed ecosystem. apple do not publish the bluetooth stacks that they use in their phones. most of the time its the phones fault because when apple do software updates, they can break something in the code that may affect bluetooth.

the bluetooth stack the factory head unit uses is based on old tech (we are all using Bluetooth 5.0 but the nissan is using much older technology). if apple decide not to include older "backwards compatibility" BT stacks with older bluetooth versions once they update the iphone software, you often see issues with what you are experiencing.

so it's a combination of nissan older BT stack and apple sometimes not including the older BT versions when they do phone softwares. nothing you can do other than to complain to apple but that most likely won't get you anywhere.

Android wont have this issue because they publish that BT info (as well as their kernel /OS) are not in the business of removing older BT stacks from their code because they HAVE to be compatible with older versions of Android software.

to rule out your usb issue , try a different usb cable. go to a dealer with an armada and test your phone and usb cable in thar car and see if you can replicate the issue. if you can't , its your phone and/or the cable. you can also try a different phone and see if that makes a difference.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
i understand your rant. sadly the issues i see more often than not with these problems stems from users of Iphones.

Iphones are in a closed ecosystem. apple do not publish the bluetooth stacks that they use in their phones. most of the time its the phones fault because when apple do software updates, they can break something in the code that may affect bluetooth.

the bluetooth stack the factory head unit uses is based on old tech (we are all using Bluetooth 5.0 but the nissan is using much older technology). if apple decide not to include older "backwards compatibility" BT stacks with older bluetooth versions once they update the iphone software, you often see issues with what you are experiencing.

so it's a combination of nissan older BT stack and apple sometimes not including the older BT versions when they do phone softwares. nothing you can do other than to complain to apple but that most likely won't get you anywhere.

Android wont have this issue because they publish that BT info (as well as their kernel /OS) are not in the business of removing older BT stacks from their code because they HAVE to be compatible with older versions of Android software.

to rule out your usb issue , try a different usb cable. go to a dealer with an armada and test your phone and usb cable in thar car and see if you can replicate the issue. if you can't , its your phone and/or the cable. you can also try a different phone and see if that makes a difference.
I get there isn’t much that can be done most likely. It just doesn’t seem to me that Apple should be only to blame here. Every other car manufacturer has figured out how to make this work. Our iPhones have worked fine in every other vehicle we’ve had. I’m hoping that Nissan has fixed this problem with the redesigned models this year.

·
Administrator
6,306 Posts
like i mentioned, nissans headunits prior to 2020 model years have old ancient bluetooth stacks. they are not as reliable or efficient as Bluetooth 5.0, which newer phones are coming out with.

add on the fact that apple are very private with their software and what they add/remove during various software updates, that is just a recipe for issues to crop up.

the iphone issue is also on other car makers, not just nissan. there have been reports.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey all, still working out some of the issues with the Bluetooth and audio connectivity. Just to summarize the BT issues, with both iPhone 8 and iPhone 12, when connected and trying to make a call from the car, probably 60% of the time when the person at the other end of the line answers the call, they just hear a horrible static noise, and the call immediately drops on the car end. I've heard that it may be an issue with Nissan compatibility with certain iPhone software. Either way is seems ridiculous that there can't be a fix for it. Dealer can "never recreate the problem". Yet almost every time my wife calls me from the car using BT, I get the horrible static and the call drops three or four times in a row until she disconnects Bluetooth and just uses the phone instead. Illegal and unsafe.

The audio issue is this: Since it's a waste of time to connect to BT, we usually just plug the phone into the USB port at the bottom of the console for music from the phone. The system recognizes the phone as "iPod", and that's what we select on the screen to listen to music. Half the time, a list of every song in our phones in alphabetical order will come up on the Armada screen. If we try to play music from the phone itself, a song will start and the corresponding song info will show on the Armada screen. Two seconds into the song, it will stop playing, and the song list will come back up on the Armada screen. No matter how many times I push play on a song in my phone, the song will stop two seconds in and the song list will come back up on the Armada screen. I have to disconnect my phone and reconnect it to get it to work. Sometimes it takes two or three cycles of this before I can actually play something.

Anyone else experience this? The intermittent issues that the dealer can't recreate on a $50k+ vehicle are infuriating. I have a $35k Hyundai Santa Fe and everything works flawlessly 100% of the time.

More of a rant then anything, but I'm curious if anyone with these issues has had any luck sorting them out. Thanks!
This happened all the time shortly after my wife got out 18 new. We were both running iPhone 8’s and the static conversations were frustrating as well as the iPod not connecting correctly. We both are running iPhone 11s for about 6 months and I can’t remember the last time we’ve had one of those Bluetooth static conversations. I don’t know what the change was.

·
Registered
2019 Armada SL
63 Posts

One solution is to do what I did: yank that antiquated infotainment system out and put in a 13.6" Tesla style screen. Wireless CarPlay works pretty sweet!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks. I bought it from Rhino Radios:
Nissan Armada 2018 - 2020 Infiniti QX80 2018-2020 13.6

I had a body shape paint all the woodgrain pieces to match 3M gloss storm gray vinyl wrap.
Any issues that you'd had so far with that setup? I'm on the fence for several reasons, one being that the car still has a lot of warranty left. But also, I don't really need all those features, we really only use Satellite Radio, BT audio for music and navigation once in a while. Does it connect to stock backup camera? Does it use the stock microphone for BT calls, etc? It's a very interesting idea....

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
you can get a simple bluetooth adapter to connect to the car and stream your phone to it, or get amazon auto if you want satellite radio.
Yes I understand there are ways around it. It's just frustrating to have to go down that road on a vehicle of this price / class. The biggest issue we have is with phone calls. We mostly use satellite radio for music, etc.

This happened all the time shortly after my wife got out 18 new. We were both running iPhone 8’s and the static conversations were frustrating as well as the iPod not connecting correctly. We both are running iPhone 11s for about 6 months and I can’t remember the last time we’ve had one of those Bluetooth static conversations. I don’t know what the change was.

We do have this issue most of the time with my wifes iPhone, which happens to be an 8 Plus. We'll be upgrading that soon and maybe that will take care of it. We'll see...

·
Administrator
6,306 Posts
price/class should not matter. the phone should work period. i totally understand what you are saying, but iphones are the main phones that have more issues with radios with older bluetooth stacks because apple don't always included older bluetooth stacks in their code when they do their software updates. android is more open to older tech due to android being an os that many people use for different types of technologies, so android keeps older code in their software -- this can cause the OS kernel to get bloated with older code, but the upside is it works with a broader range of products.

nissan updated everything in the 2021 model but that is also causing issues with other bugs...

·
Registered
2019 Armada SL
63 Posts
Any issues that you'd had so far with that setup? I'm on the fence for several reasons, one being that the car still has a lot of warranty left. But also, I don't really need all those features, we really only use Satellite Radio, BT audio for music and navigation once in a while. Does it connect to stock backup camera? Does it use the stock microphone for BT calls, etc? It's a very interesting idea....
It has been working remarkably well. I believe it is a rooted version of Android 9 for tablets that has a layer of software installed for car application. It seems most of these units from various manufacturers for different vehicles use largely the same software.

It does use the stock 360 backup camera system. It also has two other camera inputs, as well as a way of attaching a dash cam through USB. I justified this purchase because I'm attaching another backup camera that will be centered on the vehicle so I can align a trailer easily, and I'm using that 3rd camera input for a 360 camera system I am installing on my camper. With these two updates it will make the Armada a much nicer tow vehicle.

I don't use Sirius, so I can't comment on it. Their website says this "Compatibility: XM Satellite radio if it comes factory with your car. You will either use Sirius app via Wi-Fi or purchase Commander Touch Module from Sirius to retain such feature." You would probably want to contact them first since that order page isn't fully correct.

It comes with a new microphone to use. You can see it in the upper left corner of the images where I attached it.

Out of the box the appearance is a bit of mixed bag. Most of it seems to work, but it reminds you that it's not an OEM product. For instance, it always wants to show this image of an Audi. I think this can be changed, but I haven't done it yet. It shows a compass that rarely points north and altimeter that displays in meters. Google maps is built in, but it is a bit twitchy and I find it better not to have it auto launch, and sometimes it crashes and you need to restart.

Ironically, if you stay in CarPlay, it works quite well and looks beautiful. Carplay doesn't try to do too much, it just gives you what you need and doesn't display things that aren't necessary (like an Audi). Unfortunately, if you want to use the regular radio you have to operate outside of CarPlay, and I would image the same with Sirius.

Being Android, there's a number of launchers that you can download for a different appearance. There's also a developer that will create a custom appearance for you how you would like it. I'm thinking of paying him to clean up the interface and making it more focused on my purpose - towing.

All in all I do think this was a justifiable improvement. But that might be based upon the fact that I bought the vehicle used as a good value, and I knew I would be making this change.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts