Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited by Moderator)
Hi all. I wish I joined the forum for a happier reason, but my car so far has been a miserable experience. I bought it used 6 months ago and it keeps randomly refusing to start. My mechanic had it for over a week and could find no problems in terms of draws on the battery, plus the starter and alternator are fine.

I have purchased a new battery and the issue persists. I have resorted to keeping a portable battery jumper in the car since it will randomly not start and leave me and my young children stranded. This is pretty pathetic for such a new vehicle. Has anyone had a similar experience?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Faulty brake switch needs to be replaced. There is a service bulletin about this with nissan.
Hi all. I wish I joined the forum for a happier reason, but my car so far has been a miserable experience. I bought it used 6 months ago and it keeps randomly refusing to start. My mechanic had it for over a week and could find no problems in terms of draws on the battery, plus the starter and alternator are fine.

I have purchased a new battery and the issue persists. I have resorted to keeping a portable battery jumper in the car since it will randomly not start and leave me and my young children stranded. This is pretty pathetic for such a new vehicle. Has anyone had a similar experience?

Faulty brake switch needs to be replaced. There is a service bulletin about this with nissan.

Hope this helps. God bless.

·
Registered
2019 Armada SL
29 Posts
I am having a somewhat similar problem myself.

My battery keeps draining. I push the start button, and there are subtle clicking sounds, but it doesn't turn over. I then jump the vehicle with a portable battery. I've had the battery tested and they say it's fine, its just deeply drawn down. Is this what you're experiencing?

I had replaced the head unit with an aftermarket unit, so it could be that, but the vehicle had been fine for the first month. Then all of a sudden I've had to jump car 5 times within a week.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am having a somewhat similar problem myself.

My battery keeps draining. I push the start button, and there are subtle clicking sounds, but it doesn't turn over. I then jump the vehicle with a portable battery. I've had the battery tested and they say it's fine, its just deeply drawn down. Is this what you're experiencing?

I had replaced the head unit with an aftermarket unit, so it could be that, but the vehicle had been fine for the first month. Then all of a sudden I've had to jump car 5 times within a week.
There is no clicking sound with the issue we have. The vehicle doesnt register we are pressing on the brake so it wont start.
Your issue is clearly related to something draining your battery. it could be your head unit is wired hot instead of being wired to the acc line.

Also not sure what year you have but there was a recall regarding something with ignition coils or solenoids. i cant remember. but the software would leave these things on while the vehicle was off and could drain the battery. A software update addresses the issue. Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
2019 Armada SL
29 Posts
Thank for the response. Our Armada is a 2019. The head unit was all plug and play harness, so I would hope that it didn't get wired wrong.

I also added a Red Arc trailer brake controller at the same time. That harness was plug and play as well. But I suppose that could have potential of draining the battery also.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Brake switch.
Search forum.
Nissan dealers are well aware.
Is it a local mechanic or a Nissan dealer?

Isn't there an ECM recall for the 2019's for the battery draining?

·
Super Moderator
6,060 Posts
welcome to the forum. no need to apologize about your post. the reason people come on these forums is to complain about something or find a solution, so you came to the right place.

I bought it used 6 months ago
This is pretty pathetic for such a new vehicle.
first off, the car is used and a used car is only as good as its prior owner(s), so without any backstory on the history of the car, it's not fair to blame nissan directly as the sole reason you are having issues. there are thousands of people on the road with these cars who never have any issues, but EVERY car maker will have a recall or lemon car come off the line - its man made and mistakes happen. i know you are upset and understand your frustration. you are taking the right steps to remedy the issues you are having.

what id like to add is what were the trouble codes, if any, the tech who services your car is getting? that's the first route i would take.

·
Registered
2019 Armada SL
29 Posts
Isn't there an ECM recall for the 2019's for the battery draining?
Thanks, I'll have to check w the dealer to see if its been done on our vehicle.

Sorry for posting here about my problem, not the OP's problem, but I think I'm onto something. Googling a battery drain recall as mentioned byOBXPatrol, I found this:

2019 QX80 drain on battery

Apparently Nissan's charging system doesn't charge the battery at full load, and it takes up to 8 miles before it's charged the battery from starting. People who do lots of short trips will frequently have dead batteries (Most of my trips are under 2 miles). There is a fix - disconnecting a wire from the battery sensor to the alternator. Some dealers will even do it for you if you ask.

What annoys me is I took it to the dealer, and after waiting an hour and half they told me my battery was fine. They suggested my new head unit might be draining it somehow. But what annoys me is he asked if I do lots of short trips, and I said yes, but then he sent me on my way believing the radio is the culprit.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I purchased a used 2019 Armada SV 4WD 10 months ago. I really like the vehicle but I have also experienced the frustration of not starting on a regular basis and I also took to carrying one of those small lithium jump starters.

I don't do many miles and have been experiencing starting issues since shortly after I took ownership. Initially I thought it was the battery which was replaced with a new battery (slightly higher rating) at Sams Club. The problems went away for a few weeks but then returned. I next thought it was a slow discharge during longer periods when the vehicle was not in use so I got a tickle charger which I used every few weeks and the problem went away. Then I recently used my Armada on a couple of longer runs and once again I had this same issue. I found a link on this site which suggested there was a know issue with a service bulletin EL19-055 NTB19-099 NO START CAUSED BY LOW BATTERY VOLTAGE which suggests a software update to the ECM. I have also read on this board that some owners have had success cutting one of the wires from the negative battery terminal that feeds the ECM to help regulate the charge to the battery. I started to watch my battery charging gauge in the instrument cluster and noticed the indicator often fluctuated below the midpoint (13 amps) even while running at speed. Armed with all this information and a couple more service builitins I found on the Nissan site I headed for my local dealership a few weeks ago. I explained my recurring starting problems and they confirmed the ECM should be reprogrammed. They also replaced the brake switch (see bulletin above) and finally they told me dealers now cut the control wire to the ECM which was a DIY fix recommend in a different thread. This work was was only completed a few weeks ago so I am keeping my fingers crossed but there have been no further issues since my service appointment and the battery charging gauge is now always above the mid-point and seems to constantly deliver at least 14 amps and my Armada now starts immediately. I am not a mechanic so apologies if any of the above is not stated using the correct terms but I am now convinced the 2019 Armada has battery charging issues caused by the ECM as outlined by many experts who have posted before. Many thanks to all those who pointed me in the right direction and I hope this helps 2019wontstart.

·
Registered
2019 Armada SL
29 Posts
Thank you very much for the info! Sounds like I need to take a trip to the dealer armed with the info you just provided. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
21 Posts

yes, and as an engineer I fixed it, the way the FACTORY controls the battery charging is stupid. they allow the battery to be charged weirdly to save gas???????? the battery will not get charged fully due to their algorithym. On the negative terminal BATTERY CABLE itself, there is a wee box on the lead that has a connector right at the battery. Grey on mine, I unplugged that connector and left it disconnected forcing the computer to charge by default, no more issues. took it back to dealer several times to no avail. Pop the connector and see how it works. OBTW GO TO WALL MART AND BUY A CIGARETTE LIGHTER PLUG IN VOLTMETER TO USE AND MONITOR THE BATTERY VOLTAGE A CHEAP 20$ to see the difference. Woody

I purchased a used 2019 Armada SV 4WD 10 months ago. I really like the vehicle but I have also experienced the frustration of not starting on a regular basis and I also took to carrying one of those small lithium jump starters.

I don't do many miles and have been experiencing starting issues since shortly after I took ownership. Initially I thought it was the battery which was replaced with a new battery (slightly higher rating) at Sams Club. The problems went away for a few weeks but then returned. I next thought it was a slow discharge during longer periods when the vehicle was not in use so I got a tickle charger which I used every few weeks and the problem went away. Then I recently used my Armada on a couple of longer runs and once again I had this same issue. I found a link on this site which suggested there was a know issue with a service bulletin EL19-055 NTB19-099 NO START CAUSED BY LOW BATTERY VOLTAGE which suggests a software update to the ECM. I have also read on this board that some owners have had success cutting one of the wires from the negative battery terminal that feeds the ECM to help regulate the charge to the battery. I started to watch my battery charging gauge in the instrument cluster and noticed the indicator often fluctuated below the midpoint (13 amps) even while running at speed. Armed with all this information and a couple more service builitins I found on the Nissan site I headed for my local dealership a few weeks ago. I explained my recurring starting problems and they confirmed the ECM should be reprogrammed. They also replaced the brake switch (see bulletin above) and finally they told me dealers now cut the control wire to the ECM which was a DIY fix recommend in a different thread. This work was was only completed a few weeks ago so I am keeping my fingers crossed but there have been no further issues since my service appointment and the battery charging gauge is now always above the mid-point and seems to constantly deliver at least 14 amps and my Armada now starts immediately. I am not a mechanic so apologies if any of the above is not stated using the correct terms but I am now convinced the 2019 Armada has battery charging issues caused by the ECM as outlined by many experts who have posted before. Many thanks to all those who pointed me in the right direction and I hope this helps 2019wontstart.

cut nothing, unplug the module on the negative battery terminal CABLE, its a small wee box with a connector, and leave it disconnected until you go back to dealer for service. I dont like service unless its their recall. Woody

·
Registered
1 Posts

We had the same problem with our 2019 Armada, Was this after the 36k warranty??

I took it in to the dealership since we had bought the extended warranty. They found a list of things. Each time they charged us the deductible and of course its humiliating plus lost several hrs. If work to fix this problem. We started with, we needed a new battery, then the circuit board attached to the battery, then another time it was a chip in the brakes, then the steering wheel. We had enough with the 2019 Model and our last resort was to trade it in for a 2021. I just pray after the seqouia warranty ends we dont start having these issues. As high as a car note it is now. I hope Nissan has made some changes.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Ask him to check the tcm my armada had the same problem and no codes showing

1 - 15 of 15 Posts