Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Mine is an 2018 Platinum. I have had the brake switch replaced and the new battery installed about a month ago and so far.....no issues. Fingers crossed. ( should not be the way you drive and feel about a new vehicle ! )

·
Registered
6 Posts
I posted above but its now been a couple of months since my service so I thought it was time for an update. Just a reminder I have a 2019 Armada SV 4WD which I purchased used in July 2020. I frequently had starting issues so in addition to replacing the battery I also purchased one of those lithium powered jump starters which kept me from being stranded on a number of occasions when my Armada wouldn't start. I tend to avoid dealerships due to cost but I eventually succumbed and went back to the Nissan dealership who sold me the car. In addition to a regular oil change they addressed 3 items:
  • They disconnected the wire from the negative battery terminal to the ECM. I am not sure exactly what they did but the service manager said this was now a common dealer modification. This has been recommended in several other posts.
  • They reprogrammed the ECM with the latest software updates.
  • They replaced the brake switch.
I have no idea which of the fixes made the most difference but based on feedback from others I suspect it was the first item.

I echo everyone's frustration with this issue and feel this is a known problem and Nissan should have issued a recall. However I am now happy to report I have experienced no further problems and the engine starts first time every time. I also followed the advice from Awoodeye above and purchased one of those cheap Voltmeters that plugs into the lighter socket (got mine from Amazon for $6.99). This now shows an average voltage of around 14.3v and up to 14.7v when I first start which seems significantly higher than I used to see on the dash display which often showed less than the mid point which is 13v.

Once again many thanks to everyone who pointed us in the right direction. Now I am becoming confident it will start I am beginning to really like my Armada.

·
Registered
22 Posts
My 2019 Armada has had intermittent "no start" issues; the problem seems to be ocasional battery drain. My dealer just replaced the battery, and "depinned ECU Charge Control Circuit" whatever that means. My amp meter is now showing consistent 14V, when before it fluctuated between 10 and 14. What did they do when the depinned the ECU and how will it help?

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
It means they turned OFF the ECU battery monitoring circuit which controls how the alternator charges your batteries (In theory), to reduce emissions and increase MPG. Now... your alternator is constantly charging your batteries (Just like the old days.) In my opinion... I'd rather have a lower MPG that to have a dead battery or No Start issue. Then again... If you can't start your car. Then you save MPG because you can drive it.

·
Registered
2019 Armada SL
51 Posts
It means they turned OFF the ECU battery monitoring circuit which controls how the alternator charges your batteries (In theory), to reduce emissions and increase MPG. Now... your alternator is constantly charging your batteries (Just like the old days.) In my opinion... I'd rather have a lower MPG that to have a dead battery or No Start issue. Then again... If you can't start your car. The you save MPG because you can drive it.
Agreed. While I do agree with trying to reduce gas consumption, creating a non functional state is not helpful. I would think wasting all these otherwise decent batteries is far more harmful to the environment than the miniscule amount of fuel that is saved.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts