Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone! My 2019 Nissan Armada just clocked 28K miles and I looked up on manual and only found out Automatic transmission fluid doesn't need Periodic maintenance. Is this true even I use it to tow from time to time?

Also I plan to change diff and transfer oil and flush brake fluid at 30K too, was only doing oil change and everything is fine. Anything else recommended to do? Thank you very much for your input!
nissanArmada.png

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Hi everyone! My 2019 Nissan Armada just clocked 28K miles and I looked up on manual and only found out Automatic transmission fluid doesn't need Periodic maintenance. Is this true even I use it to tow from time to time?

Also I plan to change diff and transfer oil and flush brake fluid at 30K too, was only doing oil change and everything is fine. Anything else recommended to do? Thank you very much for your input!
View attachment 50050
You can't go wrong following your vehicles owner's manual. Since you are still under warranty you can ask the dealer about it or let them deal with the tranny stuff for now.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Most new cars come with "sealed" transmissions. Where the OEM says it never needs service...What they really mean is for the life of the warranty it doesn't need to be serviced. There are still ways to service the transmission fluid, and they should still be serviced, it just usually involves taking it to a transmission shop as the service procedure gets to be a bit of a process for your average home mechanic. Most dealers will just tell you that it can't be serviced, and they will wait till it fails and charge you several thousand dollars to replace the transmission.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
Most new cars come with "sealed" transmissions. Where the OEM says it never needs service...What they really mean is for the life of the warranty it doesn't need to be serviced. There are still ways to service the transmission fluid, and they should still be serviced, it just usually involves taking it to a transmission shop as the service procedure gets to be a bit of a process for your average home mechanic. Most dealers will just tell you that it can't be serviced, and they will wait till it fails and charge you several thousand dollars to replace the transmission.
I'm hoping for the sake of 2nd Gen Armada owners that their transmissions are bullet proof and will last them past 220K miles at least. For sure owners will want to invest in an Automatic Transmission Fluid Pump if they want to change or add fluid to their trannies. I think I'll buy one myself. It will make pouring fluid into the fill tube on mine a lot easier and faster.

·
Premium Member
2013 Armada Platinum 8 passenger
64 Posts
My FILs smart car didn't have an drain bolt on the oil pan. There was an aftermarket solution for that, replacing the oil pan. I bet something will come out for the Armada/Titan with the 8spd transmission as well. Complete hogwash that transmission fluid doesn't need changing, IMHO.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
If the the 2nd Gen Armadas are anything like the 2011+ model QX56s. The tranny drain plug is at the front of the transmission, but the drain and level check/fill port is at the bottom of the pan and you pump fluid into it. Until fluid start dripping out

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the input everyone! I will be impressed if trans can last till 220K miles without service and handles all the towing.... has anyone done DIY on trans fluid flush yet in second generation armada?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
116 Posts
I'm hoping for the sake of 2nd Gen Armada owners that their transmissions are bullet proof and will last them past 220K miles at least. For sure owners will want to invest in an Automatic Transmission Fluid Pump if they want to change or add fluid to their trannies. I think I'll buy one myself. It will make pouring fluid into the fill tube on mine a lot easier and faster.
If it has a fill tube that makes it worlds easier...then all you need is a pump like you were saying...I had a BMW that had "sealed" transmission, and changing the fluid required putting the car up in the air, and then with it at operating temp, with the engine on, and in gear with the tires turning, you had to open a drain plug on the side of the trans, and if you did it all just right, it would then suck the fluid up out of bucket through a tube in through the drain bolt...needless to say not something I wanted to be doing on jack-stands by myself in my garage.

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
If it has a fill tube that makes it worlds easier...then all you need is a pump like you were saying...I had a BMW that had "sealed" transmission, and changing the fluid required putting the car up in the air, and then with it at operating temp, with the engine on, and in gear with the tires turning, you had to open a drain plug on the side of the trans, and if you did it all just right, it would then suck the fluid up out of bucket through a tube in through the drain bolt...needless to say not something I wanted to be doing on jack-stands by myself in my garage.
I need to take a look at the FSM for 2011+ QX56... because the fill port is at the pan and facing down. The procedure you are mention sound similar. So it's not for the averge joe to do.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
There is a filler nipple you can buy from Amazon pretty cheap that allows for easy fills. As said before, the drain is in the front and the filler port is toward the rear.

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
I wouldn't go as far as saying its "easy" to drain and fill the ATF on the current Z62 QX80 and Y62 Armada. I've done it on my Z62 QX80 and unlike the previous gen WA/JA60s that had an ATF filler tube in the engine bay, draining and filling the ATF requires a bit more work on the Y62/Z62s.

The filler adapter I bought was the CTA Tools 7425. I DIY'd an ATF transfer pump for less than $20 using a garden/chemical sprayer, brass barb, hose, clamps; I found that video on YouTube.
The truck also has to be parked at a leveled surface. Unless you have a full range scan tool, Infiniti-Nissan requires the use of Consult or a full range scan tool in order to monitor the ATF temperature when draining and filling.

Reactions: toname

·
Premium Member
372 Posts
I wouldn't go as far as saying its "easy" to drain and fill the ATF on the current Z62 QX80 and Y62 Armada. I've done it on my Z62 QX80 and unlike the previous gen WA/JA60s that had an ATF filler tube in the engine bay, draining and filling the ATF requires a bit more work on the Y62/Z62s.

The filler adapter I bought was the CTA Tools 7425. I DIY'd an ATF transfer pump for less than $20 using a garden/chemical sprayer, brass barb, hose, clamps; I found that video on YouTube.
The truck also has to be parked at a leveled surface. Unless you have a full range scan tool, Infiniti-Nissan requires the use of Consult or a full range scan tool in order to monitor the ATF temperature when draining and filling.
I'm supposing you keep the vehicle running while draining and filling?

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
I'm supposing you keep the vehicle running while draining and filling?
On and off at different times from draining and filling in order to reach specific temp ranges as per the service manual.

Reactions: toname

·
Premium Member
77 Posts
You need to
You need to flush the ATF once every 30 k miles, better every 10k.
Mine looks like crap after 9k miles, and I have an additional filter and 3 trans coolers...

·
Premium Member
1,369 Posts
You need to

You need to flush the ATF once every 30 k miles, better every 10k.
Mine looks like crap after 9k miles, and I have an additional filter and 3 trans coolers...
But your truck is also highly modded with all the goodies that puts the tranny to work more so than the stock Z62/Y62s. 😎

1 - 15 of 15 Posts