Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since I just found out that the stock roof rack cross bars and NOT adjustable (ridiculous), I wanted to see if anyone has put a roof box on for travel storage purposes.

Are the roof rails on the Armada decorative only? They are spaced at around 30" apart which doesn't really seem wide enough to provide a stable roof mount point for anything.

Anyone used the stock cross bars successfully?

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Unfortunately, the OE cross bars become just about decorative when wanting to use a cargo basket or roof box. On my QX80, I installed Rhino Rack Aero cross bars and never bothered putting back the OE cross bars. The first time I mounted a Kuat Vagabond XL cargo basket with no load, the basket was just shaking because the OE cross bars was flexing up/down.

·
Premium Member
60 Posts
Due to the lack of adjustability, I never got the factory crossbars and also got Rhino Rack crossbars. They came with the Pioneer platform I bought.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Thanks for the input. Glad I asked before I wrestled that box up onto the roof! ..lol

This will be the 3rd vehicle that this Thule box will have been on and the 1st one that the stock crossbars are insufficiently designed to support it. Not what you'd expect from a $60k vehicle.

Found some relatively cheap Malone universal crossbars that I'll be using when travelling. Looks like the stock crossbars will become garage decorations.

So, I have these cross bars installed and the Thule box put on. Easy install and decent fitment with my existing box. Bars are rectangular steel and feel very rigid.The clamping mechanism is easy to use and feel secure.

Had to remove the factory cross bars.

Question: Is the 100lb weight limit for just the cross bars or is it for the roof rails?

Reason I ask is because the bars I bought are rated to hold 165 lbs (which I' will not even get close to). Is the roof weight carrying capability rated by the cross bars or the roof rails?....ie will my new 165lb rated bars be limited by the 100lb capacity of the roof rails?

·
Registered
2017 Nissan Armada Platinum
43 Posts
Everything I find online seems to suggest that the load capacity is 165lbs while moving and I cannot find the static capacity.

You should be fine either way, the rails seem to be ok but the crossbars were really flimsy. I installed a set of Yakima Timberline to carry my Thule box.

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Armada
5 Posts
I have the largest Thule box on the stock cross bars. It does wobble a bit but I like how the stock bars keep the Thule low. The box is loaded with a huge duffle bag full of work clothes so that likely calms down the wobble.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have the largest Thule box on the stock cross bars. It does wobble a bit but I like how the stock bars keep the Thule low. The box is loaded with a huge duffle bag full of work clothes so that likely calms down the wobble. View attachment 50232
Sweet ride mate! What Tyre’s you got there? Size? Are they on stock suspension? cheers

·
Registered
2019 Nissan Armada
5 Posts
I would guess the Thule and contents weigh in at 100 lbs. And the load is spread throughout the Thule. I check to be sure there are no signs of fatigue/wear/gaps where the roof rack is attached to the roof often. No issues. It has been great for 45000 kms.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Just received the Yakima CBX 16 and also notice bouncing of the box at 50+ speeds due to the factory crossbars flexing. Haven’t had any load in the box yet but hoping it helps with the wobble. Those with aftermarket crossbars, how is wind noise w/o the box installed?

·
Registered
2017 Nissan Armada Platinum
43 Posts
Just received the Yakima CBX 16 and also notice bouncing of the box at 50+ speeds due to the factory crossbars flexing. Haven’t had any load in the box yet but hoping it helps with the wobble. Those with aftermarket crossbars, how is wind noise w/o the box installed?
Nice color!

I have the Yakima Timberline installed on mine and the wind noise is minimal. I really have to listen to hear the difference. Like no radio, no talking and a nicely surfaced road and then you get to hear a little more wind noise than stock.

·
Premium Member
1,401 Posts
Rhino Rack aero cross bars on my QX80 and just like what @TheDo114 had mentioned, I don't even notice any additional wind noise and I drive with the sunroof open or tilted just about every time I get on the road. Even with my current setup that consists of Rhino Rack bike tray roof mounts x 2, I barely hear any difference.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Nice color!

I have the Yakima Timberline installed on mine and the wind noise is minimal. I really have to listen to hear the difference. Like no radio, no talking and a nicely surfaced road and then you get to hear a little more wind noise than stock.
Which type of crossbars do you have? Jetstream, roundbar, corebar, or HD?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts