Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
21 - 33 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
2017 Nissan Armada Platinum
43 Posts
Do you rub anywhere with that wheel + tire setup when turning full lock on either side?

Thanks

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Do you rub anywhere with that wheel + tire setup when turning full lock on either side?

Thanks
Nope, zero rubbing. Thought for sure it would rub in reverse backing out with wheels turned, but don’t. Damn near perfect fit.
I did rub somewhere (guessing top of wheel wells, inner fender), going about 70mph down a very steep down/uphill dip roller-coaster type road. That section always makes the kids’ stomach drop so I go faster (out in the country) LOL. My Lexus rubs on the same portion of road as well.

·
Registered
2017 Nissan Armada Platinum
43 Posts
Nope, zero rubbing. Thought for sure it would rub in reverse backing out with wheels turned, but don’t. Damn near perfect fit.
I did rub somewhere (guessing top of wheel wells, inner fender), going about 70mph down a very steep down/uphill dip roller-coaster type road. That section always makes the kids’ stomach drop so I go faster (out in the country) LOL. My Lexus rubs on the same portion of road as well.
Thanks!!

Looks like I know what I'm doing once winter is over.

·
Registered
2019 Armada SL
64 Posts
Fantastic work sir! That looks terrific. You did a really tasteful job of choosing what to modify and what to leave alone. You made it look cleaner than stock, whereas most people often make it look busier than stock. Great work! Your build is one of the reasons we just bought a 2019 SL. If you don't mind, I have a few questions. Don't worry though, I won't try to copy you.

Wheel tire fitment: It looks like those are Black Rhino Rotorura, so 20x9.5 offset 12? And with the 12.5" tires, are you having rub issues? It would be hard to imagine it not having some rub. If so, does it rub when turned, and/or does it rub when the suspension flexes? EDIT: I just read the above comments. That's amazing that there isn't any rub.

How's the painted chrome holding up? I had a Juke that I painted the small chrome V-motion grill and after a year or so it started showing rock chips. But maybe whoever painted it used a good bonding agent and it will hold up well. Or a similar grey could probably be found in a vinyl wrap that would hold up decent.

Can I ask how much it cost to have the chrome wrapped, and how much it cost to have the chrome painted? It looks like it was worth it, whatever the cost. Thanks!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Fantastic work sir! That looks terrific. You did a really tasteful job of choosing what to modify and what to leave alone. You made it look cleaner than stock, whereas most people often make it look busier than stock. Great work! Your build is one of the reasons we just bought a 2019 SL. If you don't mind, I have a few questions. Don't worry though, I won't try to copy you.

Wheel tire fitment: It looks like those are Black Rhino Rotorura, so 20x9.5 offset 12? And with the 12.5" tires, are you having rub issues? It would be hard to imagine it not having some rub. If so, does it rub when turned, and/or does it rub when the suspension flexes? EDIT: I just read the above comments. That's amazing that there isn't any rub.

How's the painted chrome holding up? I had a Juke that I painted the small chrome V-motion grill and after a year or so it started showing rock chips. But maybe whoever painted it used a good bonding agent and it will hold up well. Or a similar grey could probably be found in a vinyl wrap that would hold up decent.

Can I ask how much it cost to have the chrome wrapped, and how much it cost to have the chrome painted? It looks like it was worth it, whatever the cost. Thanks!
@ODDs

Awesome, congrats on the purchase!! 😎
We’ve already racked up 6,500Mi on this thing since December lol. We absolutely love it, and have been taking it everywhere. This week we loaded up our family of four, the dog, 4 bikes, and a weeks worth of gear and headed to the Mountain. I’ll post pics once loaded up and headed home, but 4 mountain bikes in the hitch rack and Yakima box on top - still drives like a dream. The rear airsuspension, as much as I hate it for not being able to lift, worked perfectly and leveled the rig with all of the additional weight.

You are correct on the wheels, yep.
Absolutely ZERO rub with these tires. Not joking. I’ve been driving lowered and lifted/modified cars for 25 years, and I can tell you my exact setup is completely safe with no rub.
Vehicles with oversized tires generally rub when backing out of a driveway, with the wheels turned. It doesn’t do that at all.
I haven’t taken it on a true off-road rated trail, as it’s the wife’s rig and not it’s intended purpose. We’ve been off-road a decent amount so far, but just beach/dunes/snow/gravel. Spun dozens of cookies with zero rub. Scared the hell out of me after I pressure washed the wheels to un-cake them with sand, and had horrible balance issues on the drive home. Thought I bent an A-Arm. Ended up being more sand I missed LOL.
The paint/tint/vinyl window trim was $650 but for some reason he gave me a deal - was supposed to be $950. We do have a few rock chips on the grill, along with 3 cracked windshields due to snow/sand covered roads. I think I might have the shop touch it up, then put a clear vinyl over it.
The mirrors are perfect, along with all other painted pieces (side vents, emblems, door handles).

·
Registered
2019 Armada SL
64 Posts
@ODDs

Awesome, congrats on the purchase!! 😎
We’ve already racked up 6,500Mi on this thing since December lol. We absolutely love it, and have been taking it everywhere. This week we loaded up our family of four, the dog, 4 bikes, and a weeks worth of gear and headed to the Mountain. I’ll post pics once loaded up and headed home, but 4 mountain bikes in the hitch rack and Yakima box on top - still drives like a dream. The rear airsuspension, as much as I hate it for not being able to lift, worked perfectly and leveled the rig with all of the additional weight.

You are correct on the wheels, yep.
Absolutely ZERO rub with these tires. Not joking. I’ve been driving lowered and lifted/modified cars for 25 years, and I can tell you my exact setup is completely safe with no rub.
Vehicles with oversized tires generally rub when backing out of a driveway, with the wheels turned. It doesn’t do that at all.
I haven’t taken it on a true off-road rated trail, as it’s the wife’s rig and not it’s intended purpose. We’ve been off-road a decent amount so far, but just beach/dunes/snow/gravel. Spun dozens of cookies with zero rub. Scared the hell out of me after I pressure washed the wheels to un-cake them with sand, and had horrible balance issues on the drive home. Thought I bent an A-Arm. Ended up being more sand I missed LOL.
The paint/tint/vinyl window trim was $650 but for some reason he gave me a deal - was supposed to be $950. We do have a few rock chips on the grill, along with 3 cracked windshields due to snow/sand covered roads. I think I might have the shop touch it up, then put a clear vinyl over it.
The mirrors are perfect, along with all other painted pieces (side vents, emblems, door handles).
Thanks for the update! Glad you're enjoying it, I think we will as well.

Very cool that there's no rub. Did you notice a reduction in acceleration with the larger tires, or reduced gas mileage?

That seems like a really good deal for wrapping and painting all those pieces. I'd say it was worth it!

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Thanks for the update! Glad you're enjoying it, I think we will as well.

Very cool that there's no rub. Did you notice a reduction in acceleration with the larger tires, or reduced gas mileage?

That seems like a really good deal for wrapping and painting all those pieces. I'd say it was worth it!
I didn't notice an acceleration difference with the larger tires, and we didn't drive it enough to know what we were at prior for gas mileage. Our mixed average is around 13.5mpg right now. My Tundra on 35" MT's is 11mpg, so I figured it would be somewhere around there.
I think it was a great deal for sure. Especially the labor to remove the door handles, remove grill/trim etc. Including tint, and vinyling the chrome.

·
Registered
2 Posts
with the wheel set up you have now. Is that with the armada being lifted? Sorry new to the post and only saw photos but don’t know the chronological order

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
with the wheel set up you have now. Is that with the armada being lifted? Sorry new to the post and only saw photos but don’t know the chronological order
The wheel/tire combo I have now is under completely stock suspension. I was able to go 34"s but not 35"s.
I lifted the rear, but then removed it due to the ride quality.

·
Registered
2021 Armada Platinum Captain's Chairs 4X4, Aspen White Tricoat, Almond Leather.
18 Posts
Hey TundraOnKings,
Love what you've done with yours! The chrome delete really makes a difference! And the tire & wheel selection looks absolutely awesome!
Thanks a bunch for posting the video on the rear height adjustment! My new 2021 sags in the rear about 1-1/4 (36" front / 34-3/4 rear). I'm a little surprised that this wasn't set up correctly at the factory - or by the Dealer. Anyway, appreciate the guidance!
I took a quick peek this morning and found that the 2021 looks a little different - Instead of a threaded rod, I seem to have a fixed length plastic rod. I haven't attempted to remove it to see if there is some other means of adjustment. I'm hoping someone has seen this setup and can share some wisdom? I wonder if I need to adjust the rotation of the sensor itself since the length of the arm is fixed? Seems that might be pretty crude.
Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Crankset Tire

I should probably bring it back to the Dealer - but they've already acknowledged that they only sell a couple of Armada's a year, and don't have a lot of experience with it. (Small Dealer, but great people!)
Any guidance is welcome!
Don

·
Registered
2021 Armada Platinum Captain's Chairs 4X4, Aspen White Tricoat, Almond Leather.
18 Posts
Well, I did ask the dealer about the adjustment, and they said they would check. Meanwhile, I took a 10mm spanner to the sensor bolts, rotated it slightly counter clock wise (about 1/16"), and snugged it back up. Started it up, waited maybe 20 seconds for the compressor to start, and watched the rear come up! Compressor ran for about 60 seconds. Now sitting at 36 inches all around.
So I guess Nissan decided that the extra adjustment with the threaded rod was redundant and now uses the slotted holes in the sensor only. So maybe not quite as easy as it was before, but I'd still put it in the simple category.
Happy to have it riding level! :)

21 - 33 of 33 Posts