Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Armada Platinum Captain's Chairs 4X4, Aspen White Tricoat, Almond Leather.
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks,
I'm really curious about the way my brand new 2021 liftgate releases to open. It seems almost violent the way it "pops" when activated to open - doesn't matter if it's the remote, the dash switch, or the liftgate switch.
I asked about this at delivery, and the Dealer's service technician came out and had a look. He told me he recalled reading a service bulletin where Nissan elected to pull the latch down tighter to address tailgate wind noise complaints. Could this be the result? In fairness, the dealer acknowledged they only see a couple of Armadas a year, and he doesn't have much experience to draw from.
I'm attaching a video for those of you patient enough to have a look and share your thoughts. I hope I did the video correctly - I'm new at this part too! 2021 Nissan Armada - Violent Liftgate release. I attempted to capture the sound at release - hopefully the beeping gives some reference for volume.
I'm particularly interested to hear from other 2021 owners to know if this is normal? Does it settle down over time - perhaps as the rubber moldings soften a little? Anyone have any serious problems with this?
I feel like I'm "on record" with the Dealer by logging my concern - but honestly not sure if I'm being a little paranoid about potential future problems.
Appreciate any advice! Thanks in advance!
Don

·
Administrator
6,326 Posts
hi,
i dont see anything out of bounds on the operation. ive had 2 armadas and a qx all bought brand new. the qx, which shares the same line as the armada now, did the same movement.

·
Registered
2021 Nissan Armada SL RWD
99 Posts
Hey folks,
I'm really curious about the way my brand new 2021 liftgate releases to open. It seems almost violent the way it "pops" when activated to open - doesn't matter if it's the remote, the dash switch, or the liftgate switch.
I asked about this at delivery, and the Dealer's service technician came out and had a look. He told me he recalled reading a service bulletin where Nissan elected to pull the latch down tighter to address tailgate wind noise complaints. Could this be the result? In fairness, the dealer acknowledged they only see a couple of Armadas a year, and he doesn't have much experience to draw from.
I'm attaching a video for those of you patient enough to have a look and share your thoughts. I hope I did the video correctly - I'm new at this part too! 2021 Nissan Armada - Violent Liftgate release. I attempted to capture the sound at release - hopefully the beeping gives some reference for volume.
I'm particularly interested to hear from other 2021 owners to know if this is normal? Does it settle down over time - perhaps as the rubber moldings soften a little? Anyone have any serious problems with this?
I feel like I'm "on record" with the Dealer by logging my concern - but honestly not sure if I'm being a little paranoid about potential future problems.
Don
Yeah - seems like normal operation. I went out and checked mine after watching your video - seems very similar. The release and closure is pretty tight. I think all is good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the response @marctronixx and @CBEllis I appreciated you taking the time!
I'll chalk it up to a bit of paranoia on my part! :)

·
Administrator
6,326 Posts
you should be proactive and check these things out! you just made a pretty substantial investment.

this forum has some active members who are ready to help other owners. we are glad you decided to join up and ask!

·
Registered
2021 Armada SL
20 Posts
Hello Don.

We have had our 2021 for about 5 months now and probably open the rear hatch door multiple times a day.

Mine does latch loudly but yours does sound more metallic, which may be a function of recording. Mine is definitely louder than my 2017 Highlander, but the door is heavier on the Armada.

My sense is if it opens and closes completely, don't worry about it.

Hey folks,
I'm attaching a video for those of you patient enough to have a look and share your thoughts. I hope I did the video correctly - I'm new at this part too!
I feel like I'm "on record" with the Dealer by logging my concern - but honestly not sure if I'm being a little paranoid about p
Hey folks,
Don

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks @PapiGG Yes, the sound is a bit metallic all right - good way to describe it! So probably not just the recording. But either I'm getting accustomed to it, or my paranoia is dissipating, because It's not bothering me the same as it did. Appreciate you all talking me off the ledge! 🙂

·
Registered
2021 Armada SL
20 Posts
I'm almost ready for my 3rd 5000 mile oil change. We are towing a camper around the country and pleased with the Armada's performance, with 1 major exception.

The auto braking.... it drives me nuts, as it sees the trailer an slams on the brakes when backing up. Yes, it can be turned off, but must be turned off each time to start the vehicle.

It is a bit of a process to go through the menu to do this... Especially when I need fuel so often when towing.... 7-9 mpg depending on hills. I wish the tank were bigger ....

It can also be turned off on the video display screen, but when backing in a campsite, often it is a multi step process.... So, if I forget after shifting to reverse again.... It really jolts me...

Everything about the Armada is computer controlled ... It's a "smart" car.... So why can't they program it to know the trailer is connected and turn off the rear sonar Braking? The vehicle know a trailer is there as the on dash brake controller is activated....

Sorry for the rant!

Mark

Thanks @PapiGG Yes, the sound is a bit metallic all right - good way to describe it! So probably not just the recording. But either I'm getting accustomed to it, or my paranoia is dissipating, because It's not bothering me the same as it did. Appreciate you all talking me off the ledge! 🙂

·
Registered
8 Posts
Hey folks,
Don
Don I have a 2019 and it opens the same way. From your video this is not violent far from it. I had a Chevy Tahoe that had a hatch open faster than what your experiencing. Good luck with your Armada

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Don I have a 2019 and it opens the same way. From your video this is not violent far from it. I had a Chevy Tahoe that had a hatch open faster than what your experiencing. Good luck with your Armada
Thanks @Denmo - appreciate the feedback!
Just to be clear, it's not the motion that I find violent or problematic in any way. It's only that initial "pop" when the liftgate is first released. It seems like the latch is holding it down really tight, and there's almost a metallic sound as the latch is released. After that initial pop, it's all good. No concerns with the motion, travel, or closure.
Don

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks @marctronixx - appreciate the feedback. More and more I'm satisfied that it was more my paranoia than any real serious issue! 🙂
I've been watching local dealers for inventory so I can do just what you suggest. Seems these are in short supply right now - at least in my area.
Thanks for the help!
Don

·
Registered
2021 Nissan Armada SL RWD
99 Posts
I'm almost ready for my 3rd 5000 mile oil change. We are towing a camper around the country and pleased with the Armada's performance, with 1 major exception.

The auto braking.... it drives me nuts, as it sees the trailer an slams on the brakes when backing up. Yes, it can be turned off, but must be turned off each time to start the vehicle.

It is a bit of a process to go through the menu to do this... Especially when I need fuel so often when towing.... 7-9 mpg depending on hills. I wish the tank were bigger ....

It can also be turned off on the video display screen, but when backing in a campsite, often it is a multi step process.... So, if I forget after shifting to reverse again.... It really jolts me...

Everything about the Armada is computer controlled ... It's a "smart" car.... So why can't they program it to know the trailer is connected and turn off the rear sonar Braking? The vehicle know a trailer is there as the on dash brake controller is activated....

Sorry for the rant!

Mark
Hey Mark,
I’m with ya - the automatic braking drives me nuts. I have just about default trained myself to turn off the traction control (on the center console, by the snow & tow mode buttons) when I push the start button. I think it disables the front and rear auto-braking systems. The cameras are more than sufficient for me. It’s a quick way to bypass all of the menu clicks. Adaptive cruise won’t work (but normal cruise will, just hold the button down) but in a case where I can use adaptive cruise, I just re-engage the traction control. Serves me well - I love the cameras and hate the nannie’s…

1 - 13 of 13 Posts