Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I live in Breckenridge, Colorado where we get over 300 inches of snow a year.
The collision avoidance system will not stop beeping in the snow! Please help!
Also snow builds up in the wheel wells so bad that Im worried it is wearing down my tires due to the friction.
Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2021 Armada Platinum Captain's Chairs 4X4, Aspen White Tricoat, Almond Leather.
24 Posts
Man, that's a lot of snow! Around triple the amount we see here on the South shore of Georgian Bay! I experience the same issue with the front sensors building up with slush - but it's not in all snow conditions. It's really only when the roads are slushy and the snow / salt / slush mix builds up a bit - so the warning that the system is inactive and the beeping as I slow to a stop is occasional. I make it a point to clear the sensor buttons, the panel in the front, and the windshield camera area before starting out when conditions warrant. Not sure what else can be done - 1st world problem?
On the build up in the wheel wells, I find it clears quite well. Running Toyo Observe GSi-6 and aside from the normal hard slush build-up at the rear of the wheel wells, it hasn't been an issue. Could tires be a contributor?

·
Administrator
6,471 Posts
first gen armadas had this issue when it rained. there used to be a button to disable the sensors but i think nissan went away with that years ago.
unless there a setting in the menu to disable the sensors in the settings you are most likely out of luck.

·
Registered
2021 Nissan Armada SL
176 Posts
I live in Breckenridge, Colorado where we get over 300 inches of snow a year.
The collision avoidance system will not stop beeping in the snow! Please help!
Also snow builds up in the wheel wells so bad that Im worried it is wearing down my tires due to the friction.
Any suggestions?
What's up Breck?!? We've skied up there several times - as many other's have too, I'm sure. Seems that tons of Texans head to CO - always see lots of TX plates up there. Any way, I'm not sure if this will help you or not but, I have trained myself to default hitting the traction control button on the console, near the 4WD controls, literally every time I drive. I do it every time. The reason is, this turns off the collision systems and the automatic breaking. I understand the safety needs of those functions but when I am moving slowly, whether in a parking lot or getting out of the garage, I loathe the system harshly stopping the truck because I'm too close to the wall or a light pole, etc. I use the mirrors religiously but also, the 360 cameras are a Godsend.

I also turned off the audio on all of the sonar sensors - this can be done in the infotainment system (set it once and you're done). I am not sure if the "snow" mode can run when the traction control is off - don't get much snow in TX (except for last Feb).

One more thing, when the traction control is off, the adaptive cruise will not work. You have to hold down the cruise control button and then the cruise control will engage like the old school version where you set the speed and it stays constant until you turn it off.

As for the tires - I think you have a pretty good assessment for wear. Snow and ice wreak havoc - I'm sure the friction could wear tires prematurely.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts