Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking into some 22" wheels for my '05. I have never purchased wheels and tires like this before. Will this change the ride of the Armada? How long with general street use will a set of tires for these wheels last?

I appreciate the help.

·
Premium Member
458 Posts
22's are going to give you less option on tires to cover them. You are going to have to go really low profile. Doing that is definately going to change the ride. Less sidewall = harder ride. Thats just a fact of life. It will make it feel like it handles better though but you will feel it. I'm sure some of the guys here with the big boys on will tell you the same.
m4ck

·
Premium Member
171 Posts
I have 22" Helo Passions which is 9.5" wide. The tire shop wanted to sell me 305/40/22's but that would be too low of a profile and show more gap. I opted for more cushioning and went with 305/45/22's. It's my first time buying wheels and tires like this and was worried about the ride like M4ck said. I'm glad I went with the 45's because not does it keep the same gap, I was surprised at how smooth it rode. Yes....I can feel the road more, thats a given, but it's quiet. It's also the same height as the stock Continentals so I don't have to worry if I have a flat. I can still use the stock spare. I think if you go 22"'s, go with at least 45's. I use the Sumitomo HTR Sports. I'm happy with them. Handling is better too...but only to a certain extreme. Good LUck!!!

·
Premium Member
2 Posts
I agree with Gunslinger. I contemplated getting 40 series tires, but was afraid that they would have jeopardized the ride too much. I opted to go with the 305/45-22. Also to overall dimension of this tire is very close to the stock 265/70-18.

·
Premium Member
25 Posts
yes, definitely the 45 series on 22"s...i have yokahamas, still a decent ride, not to harsh, but of course not as plush as the stocks. plus, the 40 series does leave to much of a gap, the 45 series look way more aggressive.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The tires I was looking at were 295/45's. Thanks for the tips I will look for a 305/45. I post some pic's when the I get them installed.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Becareful with 22"s and 24"s !

I live in Southern California and we've had more rain this season than I can ever remember. This has caused potholes everywhere.
I live in an area where every mother drives a Yukon, Expedition, Escalade, and Subarban, and all the guys drive Armada's and Hummers. :)
And everyone's got 20-24" wheels and some 26-28" on Hummers.

Big wheels do NOT like potholes at all. Specially deep dish wheels. I have literally seen 6 or 7 SUV's with a collapsed wheel from driving over pothole.
This is in the past 2 months.

That's a $500-$2,000 flat tire repair bill.

Just a FYI

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
i have 24"s with 305/35/24......and yes, the ride quality isn't as plush as stocks. i am personally happy with the ride quality. yes, it's true........the more rubber, the better the ride. i actually had 40's originally but it rubbed the wheel well. neither my family or i could tell the difference with the ride between the two sizes.

and regarding all the potholes in SoCal.......they are more like small pools!!! i've been fortunate enough to not hit any of them. it also helps if your city is quick to fill those potholes after it rains.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
andy said:
I live in Southern California and we've had more rain this season than I can ever remember. This has caused potholes everywhere.
I live in an area where every mother drives a Yukon, Expedition, Escalade, and Subarban, and all the guys drive Armada's and Hummers. :)
And everyone's got 20-24" wheels and some 26-28" on Hummers.

Big wheels do NOT like potholes at all. Specially deep dish wheels. I have literally seen 6 or 7 SUV's with a collapsed wheel from driving over pothole.
This is in the past 2 months.

That's a $500-$2,000 flat tire repair bill.

Just a FYI
FYI,

I do not agree that rain causes potholes, so do not fear if you live in a rainy area. I live in Portland, OR and it rains all the freaking time, but we do not have a particularly bad pothole problem. It rains even more in Seattle, and again, no more potholes than any major metroplolitan area. The problem with rain and potholes is that the rain fills them and makes it difficult for you to see them. So you hit more and that makes you think that there are more of them.

I grew up in Chicago, and potholes are a biatch there! I mean it is so bad that they have to resurface hwys over and over again. And we are talking about some big potholes. The reason is that the salt and chemicals used to battle snow and ice severely damage the roads. They also do a number on vehicles in general.

But I do not think that rain causes potholes.

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
Thinker62 said:
FYI,

I do not agree that rain causes potholes, so do not fear if you live in a rainy area. I live in Portland, OR and it rains all the freaking time, but we do not have a particularly bad pothole problem. It rains even more in Seattle, and again, no more potholes than any major metroplolitan area. The problem with rain and potholes is that the rain fills them and makes it difficult for you to see them. So you hit more and that makes you think that there are more of them.

I grew up in Chicago, and potholes are a biatch there! I mean it is so bad that they have to resurface hwys over and over again. And we are talking about some big potholes. The reason is that the salt and chemicals used to battle snow and ice severely damage the roads. They also do a number on vehicles in general.

But I do not think that rain causes potholes.
i don't know how anyone back east can have a nice car/truck with all that snow, then eventually, salt on the ground! that salt does a number on the paint, not to mention the car itself!

our problem here in the SoCal area is all the recent rain we've had in conjunction with all the semi truck traffic we get through our local streets and freeways. the water gets under the ground, loosens the dirt beneth it.......then once a heavy semi drives over it.....it cracks the pavement, thus causing a nasty pothole.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
MacFly said:
i don't know how anyone back east can have a nice car/truck with all that snow, then eventually, salt on the ground! that salt does a number on the paint, not to mention the car itself!

our problem here in the SoCal area is all the recent rain we've had in conjunction with all the semi truck traffic we get through our local streets and freeways. the water gets under the ground, loosens the dirt beneth it.......then once a heavy semi drives over it.....it cracks the pavement, thus causing a nasty pothole.
I see! I guess that makes a little more sense. But I would still rather be here than in tne midwest or east. The lifespan of a vehicle must be 5-10 years less than it is in areas without snow.

·
Premium Member
92 Posts
22" RIMS

I HAVE AN 05 ARMADA I AM CONSIDERING GETTING 22'S BUT I WAS WORRIED ABOUT IT FITTING IN MY GARAGE AFTER THE INSTALL BUT SOMEONE SAID THE 305-45-22 ARE THE SAME ASA THE STOCK 18'S IS THIS TRUE. ALSO WHERE CAN I GET A GREAT DEAL ON 22'S CAN ANYONE HELP :hmm:

·
Premium Member
15 Posts
They are the same size, I originally got the 40's and they didnt look right, so I got the 45's and I couldnt be happier. The ride is fine, not a huge difference compared to stock. Handles tighter and in my opinion makes the truck. :cool:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts