Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey members!

Just got my tax return and looking to get a new set of shoes. I'm on the fence about upsizing between 22s and 24s. If you have either, I would appreciate a picture post with your rim and tire size to help me decide. Let me know if you experienced any problems with steering vibration, big fuel economy drops, ride stiffness or anything you noticed. If you guys had a good online buying experience, drop me a site so I can check it out!

Thanks.

Let the beauty pageant begin!

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts
I have no experience with Putting oversized rims on the Armada, but, generally speaking, you can expect a harsher ride and steering stiffness with 22" or 24" rims.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My Armada came with stock chrome clad 20s which annoys me. They're nice looking enough but they're essentially a plastic hubcap glued to an alloy rim. Upsizing does harshen the ride and steering effort but I'm hoping that in the 22, it would be imperceptible. I'm looking forward to hearing from Armada owners with these larger rims to see if the looks is worth it.

·
Premium Member
1,607 Posts
I hope Invanity will chip in soon. He has massive rims. Either 22" or 24"..

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
I have 26's in my 2010 qx and i did noticed a huge drop in mpg also tranny seems to work harder and also ride stiffnes i would recomend 22 with a 40 or 45 series tires and you should be ok with ride quality.. thats the cost of looks..lol

·
Premium Member
3,332 Posts
I used to have 22s on mine. It rides fine a little rougher then stock but that's a given. Not sure about mpg. I have pictures of it in the media sub forum. I think I was running 245/40/22. Forgot. Its been a while.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Invanity has a sick ride. He's got 24s. His suspension is slammed and has mean stance. I live in the nor'easter snow belt so I cant go crazy. I'm looking at 305/40R22 or 305/35R24. The lower aspect ratio does worry me a little bit so I want to hear from people who've had rims on for a while and not fresh off from the store.

·
Premium Member
463 Posts
I have a 2011 platinum with the stock clad 20's and went to 24" cast rim with 295-40-24. The rims are DeModa Concerto 24 x 10. My mpg prior was 16.5-16mpg and now is 14.8-14.5. Ride is stiffer but handling is sharper and there is much less lean corning and highway on/off ramps. Overall I am happy but do miss the smoother ride from 20's. I just love the look of the 24's. My issue was I liked some 22's and others looked small to me. Pics attached

Attachments

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
I love the look of 24s, however, as you go bigger, the ride gets worse. also, it takes longer to stop and the steering wheel gets heavier. I've rode in 24s and 26s. I love my 305/45/22 as every now and then (sorry ladies my apologies first) the wives will hit the curb when parking or whatever, but still to this day my wheels are mint, no curbage whatsoever as the tire hits it instead...

·
Premium Member
111 Posts
I purchased my truck 3 years ago and it came with 24 MOMO storms. The ride is a tad harsh. The MPG will be affected. However the trade of is the looks of your ride. At the end it comes down to personal preference. If you want good mpg stick to stock. The 22's are a great compromise because you get looks and a desent ride and mpg. Now, the 24's will make people turn heads but like i mentioned the ride is not as smooth,the mpg will go down and you have to be carefull driving in bad roads. The 26 inch rims are just simply BAD *** !!! Hope it helps.

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
I just took my 22's off that came on my 05 LE. Why? The ride was bad because they had the WRONG series tires on it. I just realized 285/40/22 is the WRONG SIZE for our trucks.
I would have to get rotation/alignment at least every 60 days! It was very expensive!!
I want 24s so bad but until I upgrade my front shocks and find a LIGHTER 24" that is similar to the Stock 18" weight, I will abstain.

Just for looks I am so in love with these 2 rims:
24" KMC Slides
24" Vossen VF023

·
Premium Member
469 Posts
I just took my 22's off that came on my 05 LE. Why? The ride was bad because they had the WRONG series tires on it. I just realized 285/40/22 is the WRONG SIZE for our trucks.
I would have to get rotation/alignment at least every 60 days! It was very expensive!!
I want 24s so bad but until I upgrade my front shocks and find a LIGHTER 24" that is similar to the Stock 18" weight, I will abstain.

Just for looks I am so in love with these 2 rims:
24" KMC Slides
24" Vossen VF023
Yeah forged rims like three piece ones are pricey but weigh a lot less. My bro in law has 3 piece wheels in 22s and when I helped him carry them, they felt like 18 wheels, way lighter than my 22s. The ride quality on the forged 22 felt exactly like stock, cornering and braking felt the same as stock...

·
Premium Member
1,286 Posts
If you want a street look/big rim I would say go with 24s personally...before I had lowered my Armada I was ok with the ride because I was even happier with the look.

MPG I never really worried about to be honest because the overall price difference in lets say 1 mpg overall is negligible in my opinion because that would equal to about 1.4 gallons of extra fuel at fill up...so for argument sake gas is at $4.00 a gallon...that's $6.00 dollars extra every time you fill assuming you fill and nearly drain the tank to about 1 mile left of fuel lol

Anyways, I prefers 24s over 22s....I ran 24s for a few years but now Im in the process of making over my Armada

22s will ride smoother...stock wheels will ride the smoothest though. Dont neglect the shocks either...An Armada on 24s with bilstein shocks will ride better than an Armada with 22s with stock/blown out shocks IMHO

·
Premium Member
144 Posts
@Invanity
Here is the $1 million dollar question, when you go past 22s is it not mandatory to upgrade the brake system similar to what you did?
I LOVE 24s but you know, the truck will have a harder time to stop.

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
I have an '05 LE and I put my KC Monster 24's on it. I'm runnin 305/35/24 tires and have had no problems thus far. I just did a wknd run to Toano, VA (approx 325 miles, but I missed my turn for the Anapolis Bay Bridge off 13 and before I realized it, I was too far down to turn around, so I went across the Chesapeake and back over 64, so my total mileage was closer to 400+ 7 1/2hr drive :mad:) and had a 1/4 tank left upon arrival...drove consistently between 70-80 mph AND I also forgot to use the overdrive function :mad: cuz I was so focused on evaluating the ride since this was my first road trip with the 24's...

If I had to do it from scratch, I'd probably go 22's just to keep a ride closer to stock, but I ain't complaining cuz I love the look and the ride didn't feel that much different after I took off the stock 18's IMO.

I have a pic with my 24's on it in the new member intro section if this helps.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hey members!

Just got my tax return and looking to get a new set of shoes. I'm on the fence about upsizing between 22s and 24s. If you have either, I would appreciate a picture post with your rim and tire size to help me decide. Let me know if you experienced any problems with steering vibration, big fuel economy drops, ride stiffness or anything you noticed. If you guys had a good online buying experience, drop me a site so I can check it out!

Thanks.

Let the beauty pageant begin!
Just got some 24 omegas i have an 06 on 20s right now cant wait to see how it looks on her .

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hey Carp I know you posted this months ago but I was just looking through the threads for some discussion on 24s and I stumbled upon your picture. Do you happen to know the name of these rims you had on your truck? Thanks.

Those wheels are made by a company called XD or XD Series. Tirerack.com or Discount Tire has them and using either of those websites will allow you to plug in the specs you want on your vehicle to get a look at different sizes and styles of wheels. (y)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts