Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Armada SL
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm truly sorry for creating another thread about the air springs, but I'm having difficulty finding info related to the 2nd gen models.

Our 2019 SL air springs seem to be working properly during normal unloaded operation. I've adjusted the height a little higher than it came for a firmer ride. It doesn't appear to be leaking, and it maintains it's height even after not being driven for a week.

I first pulled our camper out of it's parking spot without the WD attached. It has a tongue weight of about 850 lbs loaded (according to the Curt Better Weigh OBDII app). The air springs couldn't keep up and it was quite sacked out. I then attached the Anderson WD hitch, and had the rig beautifully level.

After 20 minutes of driving I noticed how fast we were drinking gas and stopped to fill up while I could. I noticed the back was lower. After 1.5 hours of driving, and have now gone from 1300' to 5000' elevation, we stopped for gas. The back was totally sacked out.

When we unhitched at 7500' it was still sacked out. We started it up for day activities and it went back to normal ride height. But as it sat overnight it was sacked out again. And when I hitched up again it was still sacked out.

When we got home, and I backed it up, it looked close to level again. And now unloaded, it's staying again at the desired height.

So my questions are:
  • Is the air suspension prone to variability due to elevation and varying atmospheric pressure?
  • Or is this the beginning of it going bad - and replacing any bad components would get this working properly? If so, any suggestions of where to start?
  • Or is it just that I'm overloading it and air is going to find a leak? Is the answer then to remove the air system and go to a gas spring setup? If so, does anyone have part numbers for the 2nd gen?
I'm also not a fan of the bouncing front suspension and would consider replacing those components as well. I've seen another thread on that so I have less questions on the front. I'm not really interested in lifting it, though.

Thanks for any suggestions! Or links to existing threads on the subject. Here it is unhitched:

·
Registered
2017 Nissan Armada Platinum
43 Posts
The science says that yeah the pressure would drop in the system when going up in elevation and maybe the system needs to be not moving and on a flat surface to try to level itself.

Could also be that your ride height controller is on his way out. Mine did something similar before going kaput.
Would start the truck, system fill itself, drive around fine, sometimes it would keep air overnight, sometimes not and then completely stopped working. I then had it replace and never had a problem with the system keeping air since then, except when hauling a trailer. It seems to be keeping air for about 2 days parked before going flat again. I have since learned to unhitch my trailer when I'm not moving it for a couple of days with an air suspension system.

·
Registered
2019 Armada SL
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The science says that yeah the pressure would drop in the system when going up in elevation and maybe the system needs to be not moving and on a flat surface to try to level itself.

Could also be that your ride height controller is on his way out. Mine did something similar before going kaput.
Would start the truck, system fill itself, drive around fine, sometimes it would keep air overnight, sometimes not and then completely stopped working. I then had it replace and never had a problem with the system keeping air since then, except when hauling a trailer. It seems to be keeping air for about 2 days parked before going flat again. I have since learned to unhitch my trailer when I'm not moving it for a couple of days with an air suspension system.
Thanks for the response.

I was thinking the ride controller is working properly since it does level without trailer attached. When I was at elevation and attached the camper I could here the compressor running for a few minutes before it gave up.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Thanks for the response.

I was thinking the ride controller is working properly since it does level without trailer attached. When I was at elevation and attached the camper I could here the compressor running for a few minutes before it gave up.
Wow even with the WDH?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Before or after you have the air suspension run? Have you tried backing up the armada, hitching up, setting up the WD as high as you can and then let the air suspension do it's thing?

·
Registered
2019 Armada SL
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Before or after you have the air suspension run? Have you tried backing up the armada, hitching up, setting up the WD as high as you can and then let the air suspension do it's thing?
I think that's pretty much what I did. At first I dropped the tongue onto the hitch to pull it out of it's spot. That really bottomed out the Armada. I then completely disconnected the two. I turned on the Armada and it went back to it's proper ride height, and then turned it off. I reconfigured the hitch for the Armada's height, hitched up the trailer, and then hooked up the weight distribution part. I turned on the Armada and it stayed where I had left it. The springs didn't really need any more air since the weight distribution was torqueing the rig to where it needed to be. I don't recall if the compressor tried to raise it further or not.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Makes no sense that your system is losing air like this. Have you tried this at home with no elevation change?

Sorry, I'm not really helpful, just trying to throw shit at the wall and see what sticks.

·
Registered
2019 Armada SL
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Makes no sense that your system is losing air like this. Have you tried this at home with no elevation change?

Sorry, I'm not really helpful, just trying to throw shit at the wall and see what sticks.
I appreciate the effort. Yes, it does seem weird that it is only loosing air when loaded, and even more so at elevation.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts