Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For context I'm looking at towing a 6500 gross travel trailer, and I'd like us to have a CONSOLIDATED THREAD to share our thoughts on good practices (not white knuckle local driving). I'll add my final rig/setup details once it's been tested along with my impressions. For now I'd like you to share yours with all of us. I'd prefer this to be a place to report our experiences rather than to debate ideals. Of course true safety issues should be addressed.

(Set up and impressions)
1) Trailer specs (model, actual on-road weight, actual tongue weight, overall length, axles)
2) Vehicle year, model, trim
3) Tow-related packages and accessories included (Vehicle)
4) Tow related add-ons (Vehicle) - should/must haves
5) Tow related add-ons (Trailer - WD/AS, etc)
6) WD/AS set up tips and tricks, etc (bars, auto-leveling, airbags, etc)
7) Performance: Speeds, RPMs, MPG, air and fluid temps

·
Registered
191 Posts
1. Grey Wolf 26BH, Loaded weight estimated at 6500. Dry advertised 4900. Dual Axle.
2. 2018 Armada, SV, 4x4.
3. Preferred package, factory tow and 7-pin.
4. -Tekonsha P2 Brake controller, my go-to controller for as long as they've been made.
-Load D tires. 50 rear, 44 front.
-Firestone Ride-Rite airbags. P/N 4150.
5. Equal-I-Zer WD hitch. One of the first to incorporate WD and AS into a simple setup that doesn't need to be disconnected to back up.
6. -Setup hitch exactly as described by hitch manufacturer. I played with mine for a full day. My goal was to return my front wheel well height to within .25" of unladen height, I am within .125". Your front wheel well distance to wheel center is your measurement that you want to pay most attention to. If you attempt to "level" the rear of the vehicle with a WD setup, you will actually be transferring too much weight to the front wheels, very dangerous.
-The Armadas self-leveling rear suspension could level the back end on it's own, but I wasn't trying to make it struggle like that all of the time. I tow a lot. And if I'm not towing, I have a dirt bike on a hitch carrier or a rack full of mountain bikes. The Firestone bags made the most sense to set my level exactly where I wanted it every time, and preserve the factory components. It takes 5 minutes with a standard bike pump to set the bags.
7. I try to stay around 65mph, 70mph max. around 2k RPM. Tow mode. MPG usually around 9-10. 16-18mpg unloaded. It's hot here, Eastern NC, Eastern SC, long stretches on I-95, Mountains of PA...I've never seen my temps, fluids, pressures, etc... do anything that worry me.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Short haul. I expect to be towing to Nebraska later this year, so I'll post again then.
1) 20' steel open deck car trailer. Dual axle. Loaded about 4500lbs.
2) 14' qx80 loaded
3) Stock
4) P2 Tekonsha brake controller.
7) On flat roads I tow in normal mode, not "tow". Doing this I average mpg better than most becuase it's an open car trailer at around 15 hwy on flat roads. Staying in 7th gear helps. Trans temp never went more than 185 even towing in 105 deg heat. Coolant temp went to 190. Tire pressures 40psi all around 55 psi on the trailer tires.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So we did our trip! MSN to SEA and back along with some touring along the way (4,500 miles in hot weather)...Here's the outcome!
1) 24' (box) Keystone Passport travel trailer, double axle, 4500lbs loaded, tongue 850 lbs, WD removed 450 lbs from rear axle.
2) '13 QX56, awd, base
3) Stock, believe it comes with the tow package
4) P2 Tekonsha brake controller. I liked the #2 setting. Tymate 6 tire TPMS for trailer. Nice to monitor your spares. No need for the signal booster. Performed/installed flawlessly. Very reassuring during long days with significant temp and elevation variations
5) "Original" Equalizer WD-SC hitch 10,000lbs - cracked the truck-side bar mount receiver. Hopefully can be warranteed. Noticed on the last day of travel. Was noisy by the end of the day even with grease. Other than that, liked the hitch.
6) Run it stock with a good WD-SC hitch, BC and tires. It was sketchy without it.
7) Cruised at 70 no problem.Barely swayed even in the wind with passing trucks. You just feel the initial bump, then the "release" bump. Towed like a champ, descended like a champ. The rear air suspension compressor did fail. Perhaps it was already on its way out (50-100k miles old). The air struts did not feel as good as the Nissan new ones I installed. PM me if you need help on this topic. I replaced the air struts and compressor myself. Can't wait to tow again with the parts. I don't have tranny temps, but I never got a warning light even on climbs in the heat. I wasn't afraid to rev to 5000 as needed, 6000 occasionally, and cruised at 2100 rpms to be kind to the torque converter. I wouldn't hesitate to pull a 7000 lbs gross travel trailer, but I also like the maneuverability, margin and feature set of our current one. Temps didn't budge even in extreme heat and climbs, though I did keep the climbs slow to be kind to the motor. I certainly had slow truck passing power.

PM with questions (or ask here if appropriate). This community has been very helpful. Thanks!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts