·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Donaldson P552849

Reactions: OBXPatrol

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
It had the right threads. Larger capacity. And the bypass seemed to be in the same ball park. I looked around a bunch and that Donaldson is the only one that I thought was worth a shot. I use that or a Mobil 1 M1-110A.

ETA: I used different cross reference charts and went on tons of manufacturer websites and sifted until I found a likely substitute. It took a while......

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I had found a mobile 1 filter that was about 2x the size, though ill have to get under it again to remember the number. With the 2019 i had decided to cut the shield as ill be damned if i ll take off it for every oil change. Enjoy woody
Youtube.com/watch?v=zmdTSsKKfEO

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
I had found a mobile 1 filter that was about 2x the size, though ill have to get under it again to remember the number. With the 2019 i had decided to cut the shield as ill be damned if i ll take off it for every oil change. Enjoy woody add to your browser:
Youtube.com/watch?v=zmdTSsKKfEO

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just looked at the M1-110A at Walmart. That thing is tiny. Now I know the reason for the move to the Donaldson.

The 110A is the same filter used on most 4 and 6 cylinder engines. Not putting that on a 390hp V8.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
The OEM filter size is definitely a bit of a head scratcher. Do they call for 3000 mile OCI's in the 2nd Gen manuals?

I'm wondering if it was just a packaging thing left over from the design of the offroad worthy Y62 Patrol? Maybe they just wanted the filter tucked well up inside and didn't bother changing that part of the oiling system to give us an increased OCI?

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Iam using the mobile m1-201 as it fits and is a better size for my way of thinking- less restriction and more media. I also made a service hole in the skid plate so I could get to it without pulling the plate each time. Enjoy, Woody
The gaskets are the same ID and OD?
Picture looks deceiving.

Any issues since you've been using this larger Mobil 1?

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
The gaskets are the same ID and OD?
Picture looks deceiving.

Any issues since you've been using this larger Mobil 1?
The filter goes on just fine, has not been an issue.Threads and gasket are the same size and mate up just fine. In a 1000 miles Ill change it (5000 mi changes) and open the filter to check the media as I have an oil filter cutter that I use, Woody

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
M1-201A, the filter that @Awoodeye used is listed on all spec sheets as M18x1.50 thread.
The correct thread pitch for the 2nd Gen Armada is M20x1.50. This is the thread on the M1-110A and the Donaldson filter as well.

Everyone is free to check this out, but M1-201A concerns me. It may have threaded on, but it's not correct.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
Purolator L20073 looks like it's a direct oversized replacement as well. Comes up as a direct cross for the Donaldson number as well.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Purolator L20073 looks like it's a direct oversized replacement as well. Comes up as a direct cross for the Donaldson number as well.
I'll quote myself on this one after using the Donaldson filter. That is the largest filter possible.

Do not use the Purolator cross, it is a slightly larger diameter. The Donaldson is a really close fit to the oil lines, I checked with a paper towel, there is clearance. But nothing larger in diameter will fit.

I will be using the Donaldson from now on.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am always looking for a larger oil filter as well, it bothers me that both my 5.6L 8 cylinder Nissan uses the same oil filter as my 2.5L Subaru 4 cylinder engine. So I am going to try the Donaldson next time. Thanks

·
Premium Member
977 Posts
I am always looking for a larger oil filter as well, it bothers me that both my 5.6L 8 cylinder Nissan uses the same oil filter as my 2.5L Subaru 4 cylinder engine. So I am going to try the Donaldson next time. Thanks
It shouldn't bother you. The prescribed oil filters for these engines are properly designed, provided you do regularly scheduled maintenance and use a decent engine oil. The Mobil1 M1-110A is even tested and proven at double Nissan's recommended oil change intervals.

·
Registered
2 Posts
It shouldn't bother you. The prescribed oil filters for these engines are properly designed, provided you do regularly scheduled maintenance and use a decent engine oil. The Mobil1 M1-110A is even tested and proven at double Nissan's recommended oil change intervals.
Thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
I'd really like to see a used oil analysis to back up their 20,000 mile claim. I have nothing against them, as I said I'll use them in a pinch and not think twice about it. But no way in heck am I going anywhere near 20,000 miles on that filter. I honestly doubt if you could even change the oil every 2,500 miles and still retain that filter for the next 20,000. I think I have pushed that filter to 7500 miles, but I'm not utilizing UOA's.....

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
The best solutions with the best filtering capabilities are:
1. Amsoil Ea15K13, 98.7% @ 20u
2. Royal Purple 10-2867, 99% @ 25u
3. K&N HP -1010, 99% @ 25u+
4. K&N PS -1010, 99% @ 25u
5. FRAM XG7317, 99+% @ 20u
6. FRAM TG7317, 99% @ 20u
7. FRAM PH7317, 95% @ 20u
6. WIX 51356XP, 95% @ 20u

I have bought 10 pcs. of Amsoil Ea15K13.
Working fine to me, 7 used, 3 still left.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts