Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just returned from a 2k mile trip, over 1500 of that was pulling my 28' camper (estimate 6000lbs loaded on this trip).

Perfect trip. Not one hiccup. Averaged 11.5mpg over the course of the trip.

I never had a false start and the limp mode (with no codes) did not pop up again. Every shift was crisp, the pulling power of this engine/tranny combo in an SUV still impresses me.

I came from a 7.3 F250 and 5.7 Tundra. This Armada pulls better hands down. I understand a modern 3/4 or 1 ton would bury it, I drive them at work daily, but I need an SUV.

There is not a better SUV for the family that regularly pulls campers or boats.

20210705_184624.jpg
20210705_184545.jpg

·
Registered
2019 Armada SL
51 Posts
Just returned from a 2k mile trip, over 1500 of that was pulling my 28' camper (estimate 6000lbs loaded on this trip).

Perfect trip. Not one hiccup. Averaged 11.5mpg over the course of the trip.

I never had a false start and the limp mode (with no codes) did not pop up again. Every shift was crisp, the pulling power of this engine/tranny combo in an SUV still impresses me.

I came from a 7.3 F250 and 5.7 Tundra. This Armada pulls better hands down. I understand a modern 3/4 or 1 ton would bury it, I drive them at work daily, but I need an SUV.

There is not a better SUV for the family that regularly pulls campers or boats.
Awesome, glad the beast did well! Can I ask, would you remember if the height of the Armada rear was lower, higher or the same after setting up the WDH? I am wondering if it best to try to get the rear the same height as when unloaded so that height sensor doesn't try to inflate or deflate the system?

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@ODDs that's a tricky question. The Armada rear will level on it's own even without the WDH bars engaged, I'm sure it doesn't like this but it will do it.

With that said, I setup my bars very aggressive so that they can take some of the load off of the rear air-level system. Probably the easiest way that I can explain this, and it may seem counterintuitive....with the WDH bars engaged and the air level back up to height, your front fender-to-ground measurement should be within 1/4" of when the WDH bars are disengaged. The main purpose of the WDH is to transfer some weight back to the front wheels of the tow-vehicle. Yes a WDH by design helps to level the rear of the tow-vehicle and front of the camper, but it's main purpose is truly to get some weight back on the front wheels of the tow-vehicle.

You want your front fender-to-ground measurement as close to unloaded height as possible without going under. Too much weight distributed to the front axle of the tow-vehicle means that you're actually removing weight from the rear wheels, even more dangerous.

The rear air level system will always have some input, you'll never be able to setup a WDH so that there is virtually no tongue weight, you wouldn't want it setup that way anyway.

With all of that said, I have an Equalizer WDH and they have some of the best youtube videos explaining all of this.
When I pulled this same trailer with my Tundra I was able to get my front fender-to-ground measurement within 1/4" of unladen. But my rear fender-to-ground on the Tundra was still over 1" lower. Tongue weight is tongue weight, and when setup properly you're still going to have some.

I highly advise against going so aggressive with your WDH that the air-level doesn't need to do any work. Your torsion bars would likely have way too much load on them at that point. Camper A-frames have bent from a WDH doing too much of the work.

If you want to take more of the work off of your air-level system, consider the Coil-Rite airbags. I've been running them for about a year now. I air them up to 30psi when towing.

·
Registered
2019 Armada SL
51 Posts
@OBXPatrol , thanks for the info! I'll keep it in mind the next time I hitch up. Interesting about using additional airbags to assist the stock ones. I see how that could be any easy and inexpensive solution.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Another 600 mile roundtrip down this weekend. No issues with the limp mode or false starts again. Towing the camper again.

I've also had the battery sensor disconnected for a while. I'm beginning to think these are very sensitive to voltage, could be causing a lot of the other random issues people have had.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts