Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm just visiting. I own a 1st gen titan and have been researching power steering. We all know the 1st gen titan/armada are on the heavy side of power steering compared to most other vehicles (I personally like light and nimble steering) so I've been looking for a way to increase it with out custom modifications.

My question:
Can anyone confirm for me that the 2nd gen armada is significantly lighter/easier in the steering? According to the internet it uses the same power steering pump, only I would assume it is valved for more PSI and volume flow.
The 2nd gen armada steering gear is 19.6:1 and I believe the 1st gen titan/armada is 19:1 so if the 2nd gen is easier to steer, it would not be a steering gear difference, would have to be the pump.

If this is all true, could be a drop in fix for all 1st gens titans and armadas...

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2017 Armada Platinum
20 Posts
I cant speak to the Gen 1, as I have a Gen 2, but it is pretty easy to turn the wheel. I can do it with one finger easily. One thing I have noticed, is with DAC on while on the highway, if I go over a lane marker, the stearing wheel will jerk ever so slightly to bring the Mata back to the center of the lane. It's no enough that you cant fight it, but it's there, so I dont know if the "ease of turning" the wheel is due to the pump, or if there's electronics (ie: a motor) assisting.

·
Premium Member
114 Posts
Steering on Gen 2 is too light for my taste.

There isn't any motor or any electronic assist.

The DCA is for controlling distance from the vehicle in front. Lane intervention is what keeps the car into its lane and it's using the brakes to do so - applies either to the right side to pull the car to the right, or to the left to pull the car to the left. Only nissan vehicles equipped with EPS have electric motor.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Steering on Gen 2 is too light for my taste.

There isn't any motor or any electronic assist.

The DCA is for controlling distance from the vehicle in front. Lane intervention is what keeps the car into its lane and it's using the brakes to do so - applies either to the right side to pull the car to the right, or to the left to pull the car to the left. Only nissan vehicles equipped with EPS have electric motor.
Correct, it's all hydro steering. Would you say its definitely lighter than a 1st gen?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I rebuild these racks and had a 04 now I own a 17 platinum. There's no way that I know of to increase boost in the first gen. It's baked into the design. Second gen use a solonoid to increase boost at lower speed and firm for high speed. Not all second gen have the solonoid. There's also a slight design difference with the pump lines, first gen use o ring. Second use a banjo line.
There are companies that rework hydraulic racks to steer easier for disabled folks. This is likely you're only option.

·
Premium Member
19 Posts
We have a 2017 Armada SV purchased used with 20k miles in 2018. I'm 70, been living with rheumatoid arthritis for 40 years and fibromyalgia for 20. With regular hand exercise my grip is barely at the bottom edge for a male my age. All that said, the Armada is a dream to drive, even backing a 24' travel trailer into its slot. We drive from our home near Helena, Montana, to Seattle several times a year to visit kids and grandkids. It's roughly 600 miles and I generally drive the entire way, usually in a day without undue fatigue. I've not driven a 1st gen or a Titan though a friend and neighbor has a company provided Titan about five years old and doesn't care for the way it drives, says it's a lot of work.

I've said in a couple of threads on towing on this forum and will repeat here, when we first got the Armada it didn't feel as steady as I like, had to make constant small tweaks to the wheel to keep in the lane. Getting rid of the stock tires about eight months after we bought it at about 25k miles and replacing them with Toyo AT/2 10 ply made it like a different vehicle. Looking back over 55 years of driving a lot of different vehicles, I would say the Armada is the easiest and most comfortable to drive rig I've owned (though I wouldn't say it where my '04 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP could hear me).

·
Registered
72 Posts
We have a 2017 Armada SV purchased used with 20k miles in 2018. I'm 70, been living with rheumatoid arthritis for 40 years and fibromyalgia for 20. With regular hand exercise my grip is barely at the bottom edge for a male my age. All that said, the Armada is a dream to drive, even backing a 24' travel trailer into its slot. We drive from our home near Helena, Montana, to Seattle several times a year to visit kids and grandkids. It's roughly 600 miles and I generally drive the entire way, usually in a day without undue fatigue. I've not driven a 1st gen or a Titan though a friend and neighbor has a company provided Titan about five years old and doesn't care for the way it drives, says it's a lot of work.

I've said in a couple of threads on towing on this forum and will repeat here, when we first got the Armada it didn't feel as steady as I like, had to make constant small tweaks to the wheel to keep in the lane. Getting rid of the stock tires about eight months after we bought it at about 25k miles and replacing them with Toyo AT/2 10 ply made it like a different vehicle. Looking back over 55 years of driving a lot of different vehicles, I would say the Armada is the easiest and most comfortable to drive rig I've owned (though I wouldn't say it where my '04 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP could hear me).
Yes, tires make a big difference. And also alignment. A small tweak in alignment can make a big difference. Sports cars are more sensitive to both. However, some people can't notice. Guess they are not picky - lol.

My 2003 QX56 is super easy to drive - no tweaks required. I just got a new 2021 XT5 Cad with electric steering that is also great. Drives very nice but I still like driving the "old" QX56 more on the freeway. The new electronic camera, etc stuff is super nice on the XT5 for parking though.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts