Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have an idea if it is possible to use the Calmini 3 inch lift kit with Ironman 1.5 inch lift kit together?
I think the Calmini's kit looks like just a set of spacers and a pair of upper control arms, while I am looking for a better performance of suspension set.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have seen some pretty good reviews of the Ironman's springs and shocks. So I believe that will be a pretty good performance upgrade to the suspension. While 1.5 inch lift is slightly too small.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have seen some pretty good reviews of the Ironman's springs and shocks. So I believe that will be a pretty good performance upgrade to the suspension. While 1.5 inch lift is slightly too small.
Depending on what you are looking to do, sure. I'm looking to build mine into a good backcountry camping rig (the cool kids call it "overlanding" these days) to replace my '94 Trooper. Not looking to do anything hardcore with it (thats why I have a Samurai!), so 1.5" would probably be OK. But I'd like to know the options and like you said, if you can combine the Calmini setup with something else, that'd be cool!

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
So, I contacted Ironman USA about ordering the Armada kit and was surprisingly told they do not recommend the kit for the Armada (even though it's listed for the Armada on their website). Here is what they said:

"The coils we have for the Armada have proven to be too strong for the weight of the backend. We have coils that are far stronger than the airbags. They did not achieve the desired effect. At this point we don't have a suspension system that works well for the Armada"

·
Registered
17 Posts
So, I contacted Ironman USA about ordering the Armada kit and was surprisingly told they do not recommend the kit for the Armada (even though it's listed for the Armada on their website). Here is what they said:

"The coils we have for the Armada have proven to be too strong for the weight of the backend. We have coils that are far stronger than the airbags. They did not achieve the desired effect. At this point we don't have a suspension system that works well for the Armada"
That's good information.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
That's good information.
It’s disappointing though. It doesn’t look like there is any option. The OMEs are out based on an older post from someone on this forum that said they didn’t fit due to the slightly different geometry of the Armada vs. the Patrol.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It’s disappointing though. It doesn’t look like there is any option. The OMEs are out based on an older post from someone on this forum that said they didn’t fit due to the slightly different geometry of the Armada vs. the Patrol.
I just got off the phone with ARB and they said that they have never tested the Patrol springs/shocks on an Armada. They recommended that I contact Nisstec; but they said they didn't have any info on lifts at the moment. So, for now it looks like the only really "known" option is the Calmini 3" kit.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
I just got off the phone with ARB and they said that they have never tested the Patrol springs/shocks on an Armada. They recommended that I contact Nisstec; but they said they didn't have any info on lifts at the moment. So, for now it looks like the only really "known" option is the Calmini 3" kit.
It’s odd that nobody has installed these given the popularity of the Armada in my area at least. Considering the Armada has been out for 4 years now, I doubt any manufacturers will be making kits available. They would already by now. Next time, I will buy a used LC or LX570 so I can get complete aftermarket support with a company that doesn’t make weird changes to their U.S. models that make it impossible to utilize foreign model parts. Why Nissan couldn’t just give us a Patrol here without mucking up the suspension and drivetrain is beyond me.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It’s odd that nobody has installed these given the popularity of the Armada in my area at least. Considering the Armada has been out for 4 years now, I doubt any manufacturers will be making kits available. They would already by now. Next time, I will buy a used LC or LX570 so I can get complete aftermarket support with a company that doesn’t make weird changes to their U.S. models that make it impossible to utilize foreign model parts. Why Nissan couldn’t just give us a Patrol here without mucking up the suspension and drivetrain is beyond me.
What area of the country are you in?
You'd be surprised. Sometimes it take a bit of time for these things to catch on. And just scouring the forums in the fast few weeks, it seems like there has been an uptick in interest of people wanting to take these off-road. Supply and demand. I've wheeled with a lot of Cruiser guys over the years (was a member of Wasatch Cruisers here in Utah for almost a decade, even though I was a Trooper guy) and they are awesome. But I just can't justify the expense. I looked at LC200's here when I was shopping for a new rig and damn... $25k for a 12 year old vehicle with 200k+ miles! I paid that much for my three year old Armada with 50k miles. And yeah, Toyota reliability and all that; but no matter how good the drive train is, 200,000 is a lot of miles on a vehicle! And I guarantee that the Armada will go everywhere an LC200 can stock to stock. Yes the aftermarket for the Cruiser is amazing; but personally I think its kinda fun to be the vanguard of something new and different.
That's a good question. I think it was the (poor) assumption that us Yanks want big vehicles solely to haul kids and tow boats/RV's.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
What area of the country are you in?
You'd be surprised. Sometimes it take a bit of time for these things to catch on. And just scouring the forums in the fast few weeks, it seems like there has been an uptick in interest of people wanting to take these off-road. Supply and demand. I've wheeled with a lot of Cruiser guys over the years (was a member of Wasatch Cruisers here in Utah for almost a decade, even though I was a Trooper guy) and they are awesome. But I just can't justify the expense. I looked at LC200's here when I was shopping for a new rig and damn... $25k for a 12 year old vehicle with 200k+ miles! I paid that much for my three year old Armada with 50k miles. And yeah, Toyota reliability and all that; but no matter how good the drive train is, 200,000 is a lot of miles on a vehicle! And I guarantee that the Armada will go everywhere an LC200 can stock to stock. Yes the aftermarket for the Cruiser is amazing; but personally I think its kinda fun to be the vanguard of something new and different.
That's a good question. I think it was the (poor) assumption that us Yanks want big vehicles solely to haul kids and tow boats/RV's.
I'm in Texas. If I could find one person who has installed an aftermarket set of shocks on their Armada and could pick their brain, that's probably all it would take for me to buy them. There is someone on expedition portal who heavily modified his QX80 w/ King shocks, but he runs aftermarket LCAs so it's not an apples to apples comparison.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts