Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have seen some information regarding 3m protective film for chip protection on paint. I am looking for some user comments on whether it is all its billed up to be. Can anyone comment from firsthand experience about this product?

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Mauno said:
I have seen some information regarding 3m protective film for chip protection on paint. I am looking for some user comments on whether it is all its billed up to be. Can anyone comment from firsthand experience about this product?
Yupp, sure can. I have had this on my Armada since the first week I bought the car and I LOVE the product.

It can hardly be seen, and I have ZERO scratches or paint chips anywhere on the front of my car. Especially on the front of the hood, where I notice all other Armada's are chipped to death. And it keep the car looking much nicer then adding some ugly ass bra or plastic bug guard which both damage and scratch the paint underneath. Two thumbs up from me!

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
drcookie said:
Where can I get this protective film? How much does it cost? Any help???
I recall seeing full frontal installations around $600. But that was on a Lexus and what the dealership was charging, I think that you want a professional to install it. I bought some just for covering headlights on my other cars and also put some on my Mada foglights. I can't see installing the 3M film with out effing it up. - Here is a good test. If you can install window tint on double convex windows with absolutely, positively no bubbles, then you might want to give 3M film a shot, otherwise find an installer. You might be able to find authorized installers via the 3M website..... Matter of fact give this a shot....
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/!ut/p/kcxml/04_Sj9SPykssy0xPLMnMz0vM0Q9KzYsPDdaP0I8yizeINzL20y_IcFQEAN50etQ!

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. I have just realized that this stuff are not cheap. :)
If I managed to get hold of the Hood and Fender kit plus the bumper, I most likely will get the tint guy to install them for me. :2cool:

·
Premium Member
1,582 Posts
No personal experience here but my cousin had some on his Lexus (installed by dealer at time of purchased). Look great at first, could'nt tell it was there, but after about 3 years it turn a yellowish tint.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
baseballfanz said:
No personal experience here but my cousin had some on his Lexus (installed by dealer at time of purchased). Look great at first, could'nt tell it was there, but after about 3 years it turn a yellowish tint.
The older, cheaper stuff did turn yellow after about 3 years….which had a lot to do with the materials used and the way it was taken care of. A lot of people used dish soap and water for the install, which caused premature yellowing. The new 3M tape installed properly and taken care of (washed and waxed with the rest of the paint) will last anywhere from 5-7 years. Well worth it in my opinion, and cheaper then painting and repairing all the chips your gonna get.

You can buy bulk rolls for pretty cheap on e-bay, which is what I did to initially try my hand at it and see if it's something I could do. I wouldn't recommend the install for everyone, but I was able to do mine without too much trouble. The bulk roll also came in pretty handy because I used pieces in random parts of the Armada which I thought get scratched or touched a lot….like around certain door areas etc. Plus I was able to also apply pieces to my other cars as well which was pretty sweet.

·
Banned
1,215 Posts
Thought I would share my experience here... Even though it's not an Armada, it's the same process and my installer can also do any Nissan.

I decided not to clear bar the HOOD like most.

Why? I didn't want to see that "line". I know it would drive me nuts when waxing, and when dust collects. Plus, my car is a 2002, and no chips really anywhere on the hood anyway - - they all seem happen on the bumper, and lower lip spoiler.

I had the lower lip spoiler done and the full front bumper, and thicker pieces on the headlights. You cannot tell this has the clear bra with this setup unless your eyes are 2 inches from the car, not like others.

All work was performed by:

Negley Enterprises
Mobile Service
Harrisburg, PA 17111
717-574-1323
[email protected]

If you go with him, tell him Jason sent you. He said he will DISCOUNT if I send him more people!

Great guy, as anal as I am, which is anal! His hobby is cars as well, and flawless work.

Now for the pics:

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
I finally washed, clay bar'd, and polished the Armada today. I had 8 rock chips down to metal on the front of hood. The part right over the grill.
You guys are smart to have put this stuff on.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
andy said:
I finally washed, clay bar'd, and polished the Armada today. I had 8 rock chips down to metal on the front of hood. The part right over the grill.
You guys are smart to have put this stuff on.
Just like I said!!! ;)

You can't compare an airodynamic S2000 hood to a huge flat brick shaped vehicle. Every Armada I have seen without some kind of hood protection has had MAJOR rock chips on that front part of the hood right above the grill.

·
Banned
1,215 Posts
All you need to protect the hood is a bug shield. I have one on the front of my 4runner, and that sucker does protect against chips on the hood!

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Does the bug shield come off easily when washing car?
It does cover the area where all my rock chips are at.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts