Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone experienced issues with the 4WD intermittently turning on and off while on Auto? I've tried the relay swap behind the battery, but to no avail. The 4WD seems to work fine and activate when needed but the light just bugs me since it comes on and off. Any advice of what else to check? Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
5,110 Posts
What model year do you have?

Could debris under the button cause the button to make intermittent contact with the membrane/circuit under the button? If you wiggle the switch (im not sure which model your have as certain model years have a different way to activate 4wd) does it activate the lamp?

Also when the lamp is turning on but itself, is this also activating the 4wd system too? Apologies if im missing something..

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an 08. The switch is the turn knob from 2wd-Auto-4HI-4LO. Normal operation on auto, the system depicts 4 wheels highlighted and the center diff with no lights avatar. When the actual 4WD light kicks on (left side of instrument cluster), the 4 wheel system avatar goes away and then vice versa. I looked this up on the manual and it says the 4WD might have a problem but I don't feel anything wrong. When I turn on 4 HI or 4LO, it engages with no issues, it's only on auto.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
Same here, only happened handful of times but nothing ever felt wrong. So just waiting till something is actually wrong unless I run across something in the old threads or a TSB.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Sorry if I’m resurrecting an old thread, but this is the exact problem I am having. New user, first-time armada owner as of yesterday.

I love the car but the 4wd light switching from on to off and the disappearing 4x4 diagram has me worried. I found the thread that suggested it might be a relay but the problem suggested there is that the 4wd light comes on and stays on. Mine is intermittent. I’ve got a 2013 Armada SL.

Thanks in advance to anyone that knows anything

·
Premium Member
430 Posts
Hard to follow what the problem is. Are you saying that sometimes the 4WD (meaning the bad warning light) comes on and when it does the little picture of the 4 wheels and center diff goes blank? And when the 4WD bad light goes off the little picture comes back on? Is that right?

Assuming that is right - what are the other symptoms? Does 4WD / Auto / 2 WD work correctly? Any slipping or banging or 4WD noise?

I found this 4WD self diagnosis procedure in the manual for a 14 - couldn't find the same for a 13 - but this should work for you. Bottom of page 18 - http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/Armada/2014 Armada/DLN.pdf

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No worries on resurrecting the thread. Try driving your vehicle on auto 4WD when the road conditions are less ideal and slippery, i.e. heavy rain, very wet surface or on snow and see if your symptoms persist. I noticed it recently that the auto function actually senses the road conditions and did not lose the 4WD on my dash lights the whole time. When I ended up with somewhat dry roads, the 4WD light turned on and the dash lights went off.

·
Premium Member
24 Posts
If it helps when mine was intermittent I had no codes but notice the brake fluid low. Apparently I found out low brake fluid will make it do that too.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts