Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone I am looking to purchase a new Armada and I know every package I want and I already made the plans for the mods I want to do. The one thing I am stuck on is if I should get the 4x4 or the 4x2. I live in jersey and lately the past winters haven't been anything to get excited about, there was only a good I would say 4 times anyone would need 4x4, so is the 4x4 actually worth the 4 times a year that I may use it? My last SUV was a 03 Explorer and it had auto 4wd so I have no idea how many times it automatically kicked in, but there was only a hand full of times I actually turned the knob and put it on 4x4, and most of those times I was driving on the beach. So what do you guys think?

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
There's a post here that explains that 4x2 is better that 4x4, since 4x4 really only uses 2-wheels (front/left & rear/right). Do a quick search, because the info was VERY helpful.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Marcellaus said:
There's a post here that explains that 4x2 is better that 4x4, since 4x4 really only uses 2-wheels (front/left & rear/right). Do a quick search, because the info was VERY helpful.
Uh, no.
4x2 has only power to rear. 4x4 has power front and rear. In both cases, rear diff has electronic Anti-slip. This means the wheel spinning is braked, putting power to the one that isn't spinning. This happens on the front also.
Net result, twice the traction on a 4x4 vs. 4x2. :machinegu

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
All depends

All depends on how you use it. The 4wd Armada has brake activated traction control (think ABS backwards) and I use it to pull trailers in steep slippery situations out in the middle of nowhere, so 4wd is mandatory and greatly appreciated. It is not true that the 4wd only drives two wheels; the brakes are applied to the spinning wheel and transfers power to the other side. My oldest son has witnessed this in action more than once during a tough pull up a hill on our property that required two trucks(2wd+4wd) under better conditions last year. Personally I will never own another truck without 4wd, when you need it you really need it and it sure beats walking for help.

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
been there seen that

Does not change anything for me. 4wd is still 4wd, just the brakes limit the spinning wheel to transfer power to the other side. Works good, Hummers use the same tech.

·
Premium Member
78 Posts
Cillyone said:
Does not change anything for me. 4wd is still 4wd, just the brakes limit the spinning wheel to transfer power to the other side. Works good, Hummers use the same tech.
But it's not a true 4 wheel drive when u need it. Per the thread, open diff 4x4 is weak. I'm not being bias because I have a 2wd, but "Armada's" post convinced me. Plus 4x2 are faster, cheaper and have better MPG; just like my lady :D .

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
True 4wd?

About the only "true" production 4wd is the Jeep Rubicon. A "true" 4wd would not be very day-to-day user friendly. I have proven and have witnesses that the Armada puts power down to all four tires in a very effective manner. My best friend who has a Dodge Cummins 4x4 (limited slip) that pulled my 1 ton Chevy 2wd(locking rear end) hooked to my travel trailer last year was blown away when the Armada did the exact same task this year under muddier conditions all by itself (record rains in California!). The locking rear end Chevy did not even get 15ft up a 300ft DRY hill by itself. I don’t treat my trucks like boulevard cruisers, they do not receive one ounce of “Nancy bling BS”. The Armada was bought as a working tow vehicle and has some kind of trailer behind it about half of the time. I have thoroughly tested its capability first hand and can speak from experience. There might be better 4wds out there but to say that it is a weak 4wd and is only a little better than 2wd is totally uninformed and inaccurate.

·
Premium Member
215 Posts
I'm confused. My post on the other thread, if read as I intended, is a strong endorsement of the ABLS system, but should not be limited to its use in 4x2. It is far better in a 4x4. The discussion there was limited to 4x2's with our system versus an open diff 4x4 system. We were not really comparing a 4x4 with ABLS on both ends. That is greatly superior to either a 4x2 with limited slip in the rear or a 4x4 with open diffs.

I agree with Cillyone. If an SUV is ever, even occasionally used off road or in snow, mud, etc. the extra cost of the transfer case and front differential will be well worth it. ABLS at both ends is awesome.

While the automatic brake limited slip system we have is not the same as true permanent lockers, it is pretty darned close in actual performance. Agreed, having a 4x2 with this system gives you the benefit of being able to transfer traction from the slipping rear wheel to the other side. But being able to put traction to all four wheels when slipping occurs is even better. There are just times when you need to be able to pull from the front when both rears slip.

I hope this puts my earlier comments on the other thread in a better context. Two wheel ALBS is better than open. Four wheel ABLS is better than either and almost as good as true lockers.

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
I agree. In my experience, almost everytime I got stuck, I was high centered. Always snow or dirt. My older 4runner had 4wd but open diff's. So one wheel up front was spinning, and one wheel in the rear was spinning.
Needless to say, my wheels were spinning but I wasn't going anywhere.

My Armada is a 2WD and I must say this thing is good. I still get high centered now, but it's very rare to have both wheels off the ground either fronts or rears. BUt easy to get one front and one rear off the ground at the same time.

So with the Armada 2wd, you at least got one wheel pulling.

I had another post that described how I pulled a Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4WD out of a ditch that he slid into. All i did was hookup a tow strap and just gave it some gas. It felt kinda weird but the Armada just kept on pulling until the Expedition got some traction and made it back up the ice/snow covered slope.

Of course, an Armada with 4WD will do even better.

·
Premium Member
4,363 Posts
Yeah, bottom line, the 2wd is half the system of the 4wd no matter what that system is. Personally, I'll never own a 2wd truck, and would rather a 4wd car if given the option. You're only benefit is saving gas in a 2wd. But you might as well buy a minivan in my book if its 2wd. Same thing.

As for faster, that depends on if you are breaking loose your wheels. I plan on getting enough power to do this with a super charger, etc. so the 4wd will be faster than 2wd in that case. Better launch, in snow, rain, mud, sand, etc. All terrains I plan to see with my baby. :machinegu

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Bottom line is if you drive in dirt, mud, ice, snow,etc or like to go off roading, 4WD is the way to go. When I was younger and lived for sand dunes, mud, water crossings, and only wanted 44" tires, I couldn't imagine ever having a 2WD.
But now with kids, busy job, and no free time, and I live in L.A. where rain is the harshest conditions we get, 4WD is not needed at all. Matter of fact, a burden if it's not used. More weight, more diff's, gears, gas,maintainance, oil changes, etc.
For my 2 or 3 trips to the snow per year, the Armada's 2WD with ABLS and VDC traction control is perfect.
I am basically someone who needs to haul a lot of stuff around, don't want a minivan, and likes the safety of driving the family around in a 5,300+ lb vehicle.
The 0-60 in under 7 secs is pretty fun too.
Bottom line, most people will never really need 4WD. We know who we are. But that doesn't mean we can't enjoy an Armada too.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts