Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This might be something that will be included in the Patrol/Armada/QX80 line-up eventually but glad to see Nissan finally getting rid of that 7-speed transmission and starting off with the Titan.

In case you're wondering where does that 9-speed transmission come from, here's a plausible source (Daimler):

https://www.alliance-2022.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/08/89933.pdf on Page 4
5.) License for Daimler next-generation 9-speed automatic transmissionsFacts:
  • Nissan has been granted a license to manufacture Daimler’s advanced 9-speed automatic transmission with latest technology for use in Nissan and Infiniti vehicles.
  • The transmissions will be manufactured in Japan by Nissan’s subsidiary Jatco starting in 2018 and will feature "start and stop" and "park and shift by wire” technologies.

·
Super Moderator
5,165 Posts
still a heavy car. plus more parts in the tranny to make it a 9 speed means more weight. the 7 speed now does well when at cruising speeds.

·
Registered
1 Posts
still a heavy car. plus more parts in the tranny to make it a 9 speed means more weight. the 7 speed now does well when at cruising speeds.
actually, it doesn’t. Mercedes was able to create the 9-speed transmission without any additional weight or length vs. their older 7-speed transmission. It wouldn’t surprise me if this Daimler 9-speed transmission ended up being lighter and more compact than the Nissan/Jatco 7-speed transmission.
Just look at Honda’s 10-speed automatic which was substantially smaller than their old 6-speed transmission.

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
unless that final gear is taller its not going to be a big difference. Even with a final drive gear being taller we still have a big ole 5.6 v8 pushing 400+ ft lbs.

The biggest thing Nissan could do (and should look into) is designing the engine for cylinder deactivation. the 5.3 L standard V8 in the Tahoe gets 15/23 in MPG due to being able to run as a 4cyl or a 8 cyl. I plan to drive my 2010 armada for several more years... but its replacement might just be a tahoe with this tech.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts