Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been kicked around, but I haven't seen anything on years close to mine. I just read the owner's manual from to back. While it says it can take 85-93 octane, it specifically recommends the use of 91 octane fuel in my 2015 platinum reserve.

Everyone here seems to be talking about using 87. Anyone with closer to '15 look into this or play with their octane use and come to any valuable conclusions? The manual warns about spark knock and prolonged lower octane use could cause damage to the motor.

Thanks

·
Super Moderator
5,223 Posts
your engine is the same as the 14 and basically the first gen armada.
that said. the computer in the 2015 is programmed to run the engine with 91.

example, the second gen armada and second gen qx share the same engine, but nissan designed a different program for the armada so it runs better on lower octane. the qx DEMANDS high test (91 above) due to the high compression ratios of the engine and also due to a different program or TUNE that is different from the second gen armada.

at the end of the day, go with the recommended octane. the engineers who built the car know it better than you or I. if you have lower octane that can cause pre ignition and knock. this will be picked up by the knock sensor and the computer will reduce the timing values, resulting in lower output, poor petrol use, and perhaps even engine damage.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts