Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had a 2019 Nissan Platinum for nearly 11 months now. It is Pearl White and has a little under 6,000 miles - mostly city. Overall I like the beast but my experience has been just a little worse than it probably should have been.

The day that they were painting the sideboards/runningboards must have been an off day for someone. We rapidly developed paint flaking off the left and then the right. Best guess is that the prep was inadequate. Replaced under warranty but it took hours of my time to get each one done.

We recently developed a problem where it simply would not start. The initial diagnosis was that the battery was bad so we replaced it with with an aftermarket one (Nissan parts/service were not open on Sunday).

Well, about 2 weeks later the beast again refused to start. At that point it was pretty clear that the battery was not the primary problem. This time we could wait for a day to get to Nissan and after charging the battery for an hour and then starting with boost we got to Nissan. When the mechanic got the beast it wouldn't start for him, either. Apparently the alternator and battery both tested good but there was only the slightest grunt from the starter. So with nothing apparently wrong the mechanic looked for a bulletin. It turns out there is a relevant bulletin: ntb19-099 about the vehicle not starting due to "low voltage". The bulletin fix was applied and the mechanic then had no difficulty starting and at this time it is functioning well for me as well.

The fuel door didn't work properly at first and had to be adjusted as well.

But those are about all the problems I've had and considering the complexity of the beast that may not be all that bad. But you could also look at it as being not so good for a vehicle which cost this much?

Non-repair evaluation?

I generally like the beast.
  • It has good acceleration which I like having available although I'm generally a bit light on the go-pedal.
  • To a significant degree I chose this over some other options because the seats are the most comfortable I and my wife have sat in - ever.
  • The Armada seems to be classified as a "Large SUV" but fits into parking spaces better than do the GMC/Chevy/Ford/similar units. Occasionally I could use a longer cargo space but I'm generally happy with it.
  • Good towing capacity and we have a travel trailer so that matters to us.
  • No built-in trailer brake controller despite the towing capacity. This is kinda ridiculous IMHO as it should be easy for them to make it standard - especially when you are talking the Platinum and Reserve versions.
  • The mirrors are not designed for pulling a trailer and there really aren't any slick systems for adding-on.
  • The electronics are not up-to-date. I don't really mind this too much but I think we should expect the entertainment center to be able to play Blu-Ray discs and for the electronics to handle Android Auto. I don't miss the capabilities overly much as I'm on the simpler side but especially when you get to Platinum I think we should expect that kind of capability.
  • City gas mileage? I'm getting 12-13mpg but particularly when it is cold I'm letting it run for a few minutes before I start driving. That hurts things somewhat.
  • Highway mileage? I'm probably more around 20mpg most of the time with fairly flat terrain. Not too bad for a big beast with quite a lot of power. In some really flat areas I think that if I didn't have to change speeds and could stay at about 60mph I'm guessing I could get 23-24mpg if the computer is right.
  • Driving? I may not be all that picky but I think it is pretty good. My wife doesn't like to drive it at all (far prefers the VW Passat TDI) but if I'm driving she far prefers to be in the Armada. But it's big so you have to plan to give yourself time to stop - don't pretend it is a sports car.
  • Driving aids?
    • I like to use the cruise control but I effectively always decrease the sensitivity of the emergency braking system. Even going around bends in the road it will start to hit the brakes.
    • The lane control works pretty well but it too annoying unless I'm on the highway. I'm not sure that can be improved due to the nature of the feature.
    • Neat to get warnings if someone may be in your blind spot. I think they got that just about right.
  • The 3rd row of seats is pretty much unusable for normal adults. I'm a little tall and cannot sit there at all but some grandkids will do well back there.
When looking back at our needs and priorities it is my opinion that we chose the right vehicle and I think we will be happy with it for years to come.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Good review. It's interesting that I am seeing more electronic issues with the newer model than older ones (older ones have other issues: brake judder, cracked manifolds (though that's not fixed on new models apparently), etc.). I was disappointed to learn they removed the ability to fold the passenger seat flat and lift the tail light glass - I've used those quite a bit for hauling long items.

I've never driven or rode in a new one but I suspect the ride quality is better.

The nanny features (in all vehicles) seem annoying to me and a result of our distracted society (i.e., texting while driving). If I don't know if I'm my lane I should not be driving.

Glad you resolved the issues and hope you are happy with your Armada!

·
Premium Member
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My 3rd row folds down pretty flat. I've not raised those sections in maybe six months. . . I actually have a plastic/rubber mat/protector which covers the 3rd row back to the liftgate.

In the Platinum version the second row is two captain's chairs and a center console. The captain's chairs also fold down/forward.

The net effect is that if you fold down both the 2nd and 3rd rows you can free up quite a bit of space. If you are willing to run some boards up through the center and into the front? I've gotten 8 foot lumber into the thing that way but I put down a blanket and then something firm atop the 2nd row center console before putting the lumber up in there so that the console is not damaged.

I'm really not happy about transporting lumber that way, however, so I doubt I'll do that again. A sudden stop could result in damage to the vehicle and maybe a driver and/or passenger.

Forget about 4x8 plywood. . . Not happening as it just isn't a pickup with a full bed. But I can also get plywood delivered when that must happen - just not at the most convenient of times.

And yup, pretty happy with the Armada.

I'm no luddite but I'll probably never figure out all the electronic functionality as much of it just isn't something I'll use. But I do like the GPS system and the hands-free phone ability. The safety features I do appreciate as I like redundancy when it comes to safety.

I'll eventually figure out how to shut off some of the lighting. I do some astronomy and light discipline is important. So I don't always want the thing lighting up the door area when I approach. I'm betting in the settings somewhere I'll find what I need in order to reprogram it to leave a dark night a little more dark.

Oh, well. Every vehicle is a compromise. This one is the right compromise for us at this time. If someone could make a replacement which gets 250mpg, does 0-60 in 2 seconds flat and can stop from 80mph in 25 feet in mud and transform into a delivery truck when needed but fold down into something the size of those ugly "Smart Cars" for parking - maybe we'd get that instead. I don't think we'll be holding our breath for that one and our wallet likely wouldn't be big enough either.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Good feedback! I share the same opinion on no vehicle is perfect. I have the '18 platinum and there are things i wish Nissan could have done better - though none of those is a deal-breaker for me obviously.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
My 3rd row folds down pretty flat. I've not raised those sections in maybe six months. . . I actually have a plastic/rubber mat/protector which covers the 3rd row back to the liftgate.

In the Platinum version the second row is two captain's chairs and a center console. The captain's chairs also fold down/forward.

On mine, ordered it with the bench seat. It came in with captains chairs so I made them switch it out.

The net effect is that if you fold down both the 2nd and 3rd rows you can free up quite a bit of space. If you are willing to run some boards up through the center and into the front? I've gotten 8 foot lumber into the thing that way but I put down a blanket and then something firm atop the 2nd row center console before putting the lumber up in there so that the console is not damaged.

I'm really not happy about transporting lumber that way, however, so I doubt I'll do that again. A sudden stop could result in damage to the vehicle and maybe a driver and/or passenger.

I've done that a bunch of times - and even with 10' and 12' sticking out the rear lift gate glass. I tie all the lumber together and shove a bunch of blankets in front of it.

Forget about 4x8 plywood. . . Not happening as it just isn't a pickup with a full bed. But I can also get plywood delivered when that must happen - just not at the most convenient of times.

Not sure if it changed, but I throw a moving blanket in the back and I can JUST fit 4x8 width between the wheel wells. They stick out the back about a foot or so and I put blankets on them and tie the gate down to my hitch resting on the plywood/drywall. I used to try and put on the roof but that sucked lol.

And yup, pretty happy with the Armada.

Ditto
I can't seem to multi-quote your message so I added responses in the quote above.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts