Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an 04' SE and the ac finally crapped out on me. Am I still under warranty for this, or am I out of luck and need to get my ac refilled? If I need to refill it, how many lbs of freon is it gonna take?

·
Administrator
6,335 Posts
should be three cans form a dead empty. if you lok on the label in the engine it should tell you.. R134a.. it does not cool as good as R12 did and R134a requires more compression than R12.. but im digressing... i like greasy food and i like CFC'ed R12... :D

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
It should take 2.38 lbs, plus or minus .11 to fill it from empty, about 2 1/2 lbs. If you have lost oil too, you should add some PAG oil to the system. I can't remember what kind it takes, either PAG R, or PAG S. I think it is PAG S for swash plate type compressor. Usually no more than 2 oz. or if you have a measured amount of the oil that you lost add that. The little green label under the hood should tell you all of this. If you are out, you most probably have a leak. I have an 04 Titan and have never touched it.

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Iv'e never did ac, cuz I always thought it had to be done by a cert tech. So, how do you do it, and where do you get the refill?

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
I will attempt to help with your A/c problem however I don't really know exactly where you are at as far as an A/c problem. If your A/c doesn't work at all, don't attempt to do it yourself! If your A/c system is flat, meaning there is no Refrigerant in the system, then you have a leak, and the leak will have to be found and repaired, then you would have to pull a vacuum on the system, and then recharge to the specified amount of R-134a. If your A/c is running, but not cooling as it should, then it is likely low on refrigerant. All automotive A/c systems leak over the years, since they are not a true sealed system, meaning rather that they have threaded fittings versus welded type connections. That said, you can go to Walmart, O'Reily's or whatever Auto parts store you prefer, and pickup a can of R134a that has a charging guage on it. The instructions on the can will make it very clear as to where to connect the included hose, and the guage will tell you when you have the proper charge in the system. As a proffesional, we us a manifold guage set to charge, and then check pressures to make sure the charge is right and the system is running correctly. However, the way I told you is fairly accurate, and will work fine! Do not overcharge your system! Again, if it is low on charge, do it the way I said to do it and it's easy, otherwise, any other conditions like the compressor not running ect, do not try and fix it yourself. You need a proffesional who has the proper tools. Let me know if I can answer any other questions. Good Luck

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
K, if it is low, how many cans of R134a will be required for the fill? The ac is running, just not frosty cold as it should be. It's cool, just not frosty. I think it needs a recharge.

·
Administrator
6,335 Posts
i would take it in and let them pressure the system and get the proper reading.. you can also go to a regular AV mechanic and have them test the system and give you advice. putting too much freon in will do more harm than good so if you still have freon in there i would not mess with it.. you cana make it worse...

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Okay, now I have a clear picture. I think this is a do it yourself moment for sure. I would not take it to a mechanic and have it done. Just an FYI, I have been in the A/c business for 28 years, so I am a bit familiar with this. Don't worry about the charge / Lbs to put in because if you are not a proffesional, you will not have a charging scale to weigh in the charge which is how it normally would be done. That said, go buy a can of R134a with a hose and a guage and follow the directions. If you follow this link, it will have a video there to give you an idea how it is done. If you follow the directions, and yes it is quite easy. you will be good to go. Good Luck!

Link: http://www.id-usa.com/how_to_recharging.asp

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Nice, thanks for the info and the video link. That's some good stuff. I'll let you know how it goes.

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Man, this was very easy to do. I had to use 3 12oz cans of refridgrant, and had my son squeeze the trigger to administer it. Now my ac is nice a cool, and mamma is happy.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Is there a how-to on how to do this? The video doesn't seem to be working. My A/C is no longer blowing cold air and my guess is we released the pressure in the A/C system by accident when we replaced the radiator. I wanted to try and refill the system to see if that is the issue.

We loosened this crew, in the picture, thinking it was tied to the radiator and when we did alot of pressure was released. I'm thinking that was for the A/C.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
5,213 Posts
That was the A/C line you loosened, so you did loose the freon charge.
You can get a refill can from Walmart. They have one that has a built in gauge, with markings indicating the correct charge.

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Does anyone ac run ice cold at all? Just had my ac recharged and is 106 degrees here today and ac just does enough to cool it a bit inside but not enough in my opinion. Like it struggles to keep the heat out. I don't use the auto mode, just manual w/recirculation. Should I use auto? Does the ac system just really suck that bad?

I'm going to be in vegas next week and temps there are around 115. Not looking forward to that.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
157 Posts
Mine does. It is not as hot here as it over there but this afternoon at 92 degrees and high humidity it performed very well and i didn't add extra tint to my 'mada. The other night i was driving to Emmitsburg MD. it got so cold inside my friend had to turn on the seat warmer(haha).
Check your cabin air filter also.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Not so cold AC!

Okay, let me see if I can help. I have been in the AC business for 31 years, so let me see if I can explain this in simple terms. Sounds like your AC is fine. Your Armada or for that matter any AC unit is putting out a certain btu capacity at a given temperature. Let's say the unit is designed to be a 12,000 btu's or what we call a 1 ton system at a 95 degree out door temperature. As the outdoor temperature increases the capacity of the AC unit goes down. The hotter it is outside the less efficient the AC system is. This applies to all AC systems period.
The only way this can be over come is for manufacturers to put in a much larger system to compensate for those very hot days. The downside to that is that if you over size an AC system, the cost of the unit goes up and on days where it's not so hot, the unit is now over sized. An over sized unit then causes the compressor to cool to quickly or what we call short cycle and then the compressor wears more quickly, and when you run short cycles, you will not be comfortable because the AC unit doesn't run long enough, therefore it doesn't remove moisture very well, so you have a cool car, but a humid one. In short, it basically goes like this, the hotter it is outside, the smaller your AC becomes. When temperatures go down, you will feel the AC system working like it used to, it's just not designed for those extreme days. The best a mechanical AC system can give you is a 20 degree split. Hope this helps better understand AC systems. Enjoy Las Vegas.

:temphot:

·
Premium Member
704 Posts
Okay, let me see if I can help. I have been in the AC business for 31 years, so let me see if I can explain this in simple terms. Sounds like your AC is fine. Your Armada or for that matter any AC unit is putting out a certain btu capacity at a given temperature. Let's say the unit is designed to be a 12,000 btu's or what we call a 1 ton system at a 95 degree out door temperature. As the outdoor temperature increases the capacity of the AC unit goes down. The hotter it is outside the less efficient the AC system is. This applies to all AC systems period.
The only way this can be over come is for manufacturers to put in a much larger system to compensate for those very hot days. The downside to that is that if you over size an AC system, the cost of the unit goes up and on days where it's not so hot, the unit is now over sized. An over sized unit then causes the compressor to cool to quickly or what we call short cycle and then the compressor wears more quickly, and when you run short cycles, you will not be comfortable because the AC unit doesn't run long enough, therefore it doesn't remove moisture very well, so you have a cool car, but a humid one. In short, it basically goes like this, the hotter it is outside, the smaller your AC becomes. When temperatures go down, you will feel the AC system working like it used to, it's just not designed for those extreme days. The best a mechanical AC system can give you is a 20 degree split. Hope this helps better understand AC systems. Enjoy Las Vegas.

:temphot:
Very good explanation. Makes much more sense to me :). Looking forward to Vegas even with the heat.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Can anyone tell me where I can but ac oil form Armada . It says under the hood to use KLH-PAGS0 or equivalent. So does anybody know the equivalent and where I can buy it. I am in Canada and you can only buy ac 134 r etc if you are licensed. Thanks

·
Premium Member
276 Posts
Another thing to try - turn the rear system off completely (fan is off at the front dial and full cold on the temp).

My system has a leak in the back, I guess, if I have the rear fan on at all the entire system, front and back, blows warm, otherwise its fine.

It takes a few minutes to recover to cold after shutting off the rear fan.

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Another thing to try - turn the rear system off completely (fan is off at the front dial and full cold on the temp).

My system has a leak in the back, I guess, if I have the rear fan on at all the entire system, front and back, blows warm, otherwise its fine.

It takes a few minutes to recover to cold after shutting off the rear fan.
Just a FYI your system is low on refrigerant......the front and rear share the same Freon. That is why it takes a short while to recover.

For what its worth if you have rear a\c you should run it whenever you run the front. The system is designed to run together and has enough refrigerant to do so when charged correctly. The efficiency of this system is flawless when both systems are working correctly. :D

1 - 20 of 24 Posts