Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
adjusting height of open tailgate, buzzer if reverse while open

wow, so I did a real dumb thing today. My wife had loaded in a cooler and change of clothes for a pool party. I hoped in to back out our "new to us" Mada (17 days since buying) from the garage. Crunch, I forgot the open tailgate. It struck against the top frame around open garage door. Crap Crap Crap. My 10 year old son asked "why did you do that Dad?" Good question :( And my wife asked why I did not use the rear view camera - good point - it would have been showing a nice picture looking up :mad: I did get lucky - it only ripped out the little fairing that holds the rear wiper in stopped position. Literally ripped it out though - bent metal where the nut pulled right through. So I have some metal working to do tomorrow. Again, crap crap crap. So three things: number one - hope everyone can learn from my boo-boo and be careful, this is a hazard of higher vehicle. Number two - I am going to look at hooking up a relay and buzzer - if rear cargo light is on, and one of backup lights comes on - sound buzzer. Number three - here is a question - is it possible to decrease the opening of the tail gate? ie bring it down a bit so a momentary lapse of cranium function is not so damaging?
One more time - crap crap crap
:crikey:

·
Premium Member
896 Posts
Decreasing the hatch opening could be bad for your cranium if you walk into the edge of the hatch. I still say my old 4Runner has the best tailgate setup with the power window that retracts into the tailgate which has the traditional flip down design which increases the load floor length for long objects, like a pickup truck. And it makes a nice place to sit to put your dirt bike boots on too.

·
Premium Member
239 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cillyone said:
Decreasing the hatch opening could be bad for your cranium if you walk into the edge of the hatch
thanks - good point about the edge being a hazard - can't lower it anyway, I did not find any adjustment, I'll forget that idea. I just came in from hot Arizona sun after completing my metal working - it all looks fine, just a little dimple that only I will very see forever :( I still intend to install the relay and buzzer - should be an easy mod to prevent risk of doing that again

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Is the height of the liftgate programmable? It was not in my 08 and banged the garage door every time I opened it, Ouch. I want to avoid that on my new Mada. My wifes Cayenne has that feature and I would like to be able to tell it not to hurt itself. ;)

·
Premium Member
20 Posts
Unfortunately it doesn't. I hate that since when parking in our garage, the liftgate would hit my garage door if I let it fully open. I had to switch it off and hold it open with one hand while unloading anything we need from back there. It's a pain but we love the car so much I don't mind!

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Is the height of the liftgate programmable? It was not in my 08 and banged the garage door every time I opened it, Ouch. I want to avoid that on my new Mada. My wifes Cayenne has that feature and I would like to be able to tell it not to hurt itself. ;)
Nope. Wish it did. It hits my garage opening if I don't pull in far enough.

·
Premium Member
3,587 Posts
I solved this problem by backing into my garage.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Armada Platinum
2 Posts
I just purchased a used 2018 Nissan Armada Platinum (my third one!!). I previously had a 2014 Nissan Armada Platinum. My problem is that the 2018 Armada's rear back hatch door hits the top of my metal garage frame when I open it up in our garage (my other two previous Armadas never had this problem). Is there a way to adjust the door height that it opens up to in order to avoid it hitting my garage door frame? I have called around to different Nissan dealerships and looked on the internet for the answer and can't seem to find anything specific to a 2018 Nissan Armada. Is there anyone on this forum that specifically has a 2018 Armada that has figured out how to adjust the height that the back hatch door opens up to? I have found some answers on the internet for other years of Armadas but not for the 2018. The Infiniti dealership that I got this vehicle from talked to their experts and were told that there is NOT a way to adjust the door height for this year of Armada. I see solutions for other years of Armadas on the internet and keep thinking that there has to be a way. Thanks in advance for your help!

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
they are right - there is no way to adjust it.

now if you have the time and money, anything is possible, and you may just find someone who could fabricate something for you, but for the most part its not designed to be modified.

your request only affects a niche group of people, hence no real discussion about it over the internet.

·
Registered
2018 Nissan Armada Platinum
2 Posts
they are right - there is no way to adjust it.

now if you have the time and money, anything is possible, and you may just find someone who could fabricate something for you, but for the most part its not designed to be modified.

your request only affects a niche group of people, hence no real discussion about it over the internet.
Thanks for the response. That's really a bummer, though...it's going to change the way I do things when unloading groceries at home. :-(

·
Super Moderator
5,819 Posts
there's many people like you who have asked this question over the years here and are bummed by it. i totally understand. :(

·
Registered
9 Posts
I must have broke mine a little, a few weeks ago I was tired of this and dealer service writer said to pull down rear gate to where I want it (only about 1/4 inch down in my case) and hold close button down. Well every time i tried, it would just close right away so i got a little rough with it and Viola, I noticed yesterday too I can open inside garage door and it really does stop just before touching the garage door! I can't believe it after reading all the posts it can't be done.. what I probably did was physically bend something inside that is lifting and it is technically sagging a tiny bit, but for my case I don't have to back into garage to open rear and not place a cloth on rear if pulled in straight because i forgot I have to open rear...... so win

Edit: oh yeah, it's a '17 qx

·
Registered
44 Posts
I must have broke mine a little, a few weeks ago I was tired of this and dealer service writer said to pull down rear gate to where I want it (only about 1/4 inch down in my case) and hold close button down. Well every time i tried, it would just close right away so i got a little rough with it and Viola, I noticed yesterday too I can open inside garage door and it really does stop just before touching the garage door! I can't believe it after reading all the posts it can't be done.. what I probably did was physically bend something inside that is lifting and it is technically sagging a tiny bit, but for my case I don't have to back into garage to open rear and not place a cloth on rear if pulled in straight because i forgot I have to open rear...... so win

Edit: oh yeah, it's a '17 qx
Can you explain the “I got a little rough with it” process in a little more detail?
Rear gate is open, you pull down an inch or two, then hit the close button - and then what? Force it to stay open at the height you want it....for how long? 1 second, 5 seconds, until the motor stops?
I don’t understand.

·
Registered
9 Posts
When it was going back up and almost touch door I held it down until it stopped moving, with a lot of weight holding down on it. So I probably bent something is all I can guess but it latches is all I really care about. The auto part of it is something my wife wants, not sure why. I always set whatever I have in one arm down to push the button like I have done with tailgates for years. On some cars, people like to do a weird little foot dance for the tailgate to open so I guess this idea is just going to get worse as I get older

·
Registered
44 Posts
When it was going back up and almost touch door I held it down until it stopped moving, with a lot of weight holding down on it. So I probably bent something is all I can guess but it latches is all I really care about. The auto part of it is something my wife wants, not sure why. I always set whatever I have in one arm down to push the button like I have done with tailgates for years. On some cars, people like to do a weird little foot dance for the tailgate to open so I guess this idea is just going to get worse as I get older
Gotchya, I see. That makes sense. I just checked my garage door clearance and have way more than I thought. I think we have 9ft doors so at least a foot between the rear hatch and the garage door when open, so I won’t worry about it.
I did look inside the strut area, and it appears to be a gear driven motor with hydraulic struts. I’m guessing the gears must’ve “skipped a tooth” which caused the timing to be off in your benefit.

Thanks!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts