Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been struggling to solve a very slow leak in my rear auto leveling air suspension. I've replaced the compressor and the shocks. When I hook up my travel trailer, the system will take the sag out of the rear end and hold it reasonably well until I drive for a few hours over bumps and mountain passes, then, even with my properly adjusted WD hitch, it will start to sag.

I've replaced the compressor and the shocks and there is still this small leak. The only part left to replace are the air lines.

Questions:
1. Has anyone replaced their air lines and can provide some guidance on whether it's difficult to route new ones or not?
2. If I put in new lines, I want to try and seal the compression fittings somehow. I've read some have put TFE paste in those fittings and some have used marine grade JB weld. Any feedback on what works best to seal up the fittings from leaks and prevent debris and moisture from getting into the fittings?
3. I've read about a mod to extend the compressor intake into the cabin of the vehicle. Can anyone provide a list of parts needed to do this?

Help! Thanks!

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Best mod for the air ride system is deletion. Sorry it took so much time, money and frustration to find out.
Do you tow after deleting the air level suspension or just one of the many who say to delete the system but don't actually tow anything?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Only had the truck for a couple months, so no towing yet. Plenty of chatter on here about towing near capacity with a deleted air shock system.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks but looking for people's actual experience.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
I am kinda in the same boat. I have a leak as well. I have found that before I leave I hook the sway bars and everything up. Then start the truck and let it run until the compressor turns off. I do this 2-3 times. That allows the sensor no excuse to pump it up all the way. I also cheated the adjustment on the rod for the ride sensor to give me a little extra height. Then every time I stop for gas I do the same 2-3 cycles with the compressor and it seems to work well. I have thought about deleting as well. But haven’t quite pulled the trigger yet. We are looking at a larger camper so it might be time.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am kinda in the same boat. I have a leak as well. I have found that before I leave I hook the sway bars and everything up. Then start the truck and let it run until the compressor turns off. I do this 2-3 times. That allows the sensor no excuse to pump it up all the way. I also cheated the adjustment on the rod for the ride sensor to give me a little extra height. Then every time I stop for gas I do the same 2-3 cycles with the compressor and it seems to work well. I have thought about deleting as well. But haven’t quite pulled the trigger yet. We are looking at a larger camper so it might be time.
We are definitely in the same boat. Also looking at a slightly larger trailer and know the truck can handle it other than the stupid air suspension.

Thinking I will replace the air lines this weekend since I have the part sitting around. Going to try and seal up the air line connections with something (read here about TFE paste or marine grade jbweld) and see if that works. Probably will only work for a couple years until the compressor or shocks start leaking again. If that's the case, I already have the Moog could do I'll just replace the air shock with a stiffer Bilstein and add Firestone air bags and perhaps even Timberin bump stops as well.

Crossing my fingers I can seal up the leak because the system works well, when it works...

Can't believe Nissan has never upgraded these parts. So many people buy this truck specifically because of the towing capacity and it's dangerous when the system is so often not working for people.

·
Premium Member
3,530 Posts
cj - asked this earlier, but you never responded. Have you tried searching for the leak? You can do this by getting a spray bottle of soapy water and spraying it over the hoses, compressor, fittings, airbags, etc. Might first put a load of stuff in the back of the truck to compress the suspension so that you can check it while the system is running. Replacing everything "should" fix the leak, but knowing in advance where the leak is would certainly be easier, I would think.

Keith

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did answer but I don't mind posting it again
Have you sprayed the whole system down with soapy water, including the bags to find leaks?
I did but no leaks found. Seems to only leak when driving through large elevation changes and with the trailer bouncing on the suspension.

·
Premium Member
3,530 Posts
I wonder if there is a way to "trick" the system to over-pressurize, make it easier to find leaks?

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Yeah I suppose if I turn the sensor so it thinks it's got a big load in it, it will over full the system... Might have to try that.

·
Registered
2 Posts
How did you cheat the adjustment on the rod for the ride sensor?

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
How did you cheat the adjustment on the rod for the ride sensor?
You can just unbolt one side of the sensor and then extend the sensor to make it think there is too much air in the system or collapse it to make the system think it doesn't have enough air.

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
You can just unbolt one side of the sensor and then extend the sensor to make it think there is too much air in the system or collapse it to make the system think it doesn't have enough air.
now that I think about it I think I did mine backwards. Gonna have to take another look at it.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
now that I think about it I think I did mine backwards. Gonna have to take another look at it.
Yeah, if you think through it, it makes sense. If the control arm raises, it will shrink the sensor length, which means the truck is sagging so it adds air and vice versa. Just make sure when you take it off that you get the sensor put back on properly. If you reverse which direction the arm comes off the sensor you'll have issues.

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #18

·
Premium Member
207 Posts
Well I had already adjusted the sensor and was still sagging. I new my compressor was leaking a little but figured it could keep up. I was wrong. I went ahead and through another compressor on there and she pumped right up to adjusted height and has stayed there since. So that problem is solved.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts