Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New member here needs some assistance. Has anyone tried to install an aftermarket DVD system with a larger monitor? I am about to purchase my first Nissan (Armada) but I do not want the crappy stock DVD. I want to install a 15" system and my question is will I have any problems or have to make any mods to the headliner or any existing overhead caddys? Thanks in advance for any assistance.

jg :confused:

·
Premium Member
32 Posts
You can witness someone else's experience with an overhead upgrade here:

http://www.clubarmada.com/forums/showthread.php?t=592&highlight=roof

I have a 10.4" screen in one of my Jeeps and I would never do an overhead screen even that large ever again. 15 inches? Keeping the weight of a large screen anchored to a roof takes a lot of excess brackets and screws, and just when you think you've got it in solid, a quick trek across a rocky river bed and the whole theater comes crashing down on the kids. The larger screens also make the rear view mirror useless when the show is on.

You can find some good 7" Visualogic headrest monitors for around $1000, and after seeing them in my neighbor's Yukon, it's a nicer viewing angle and you don't have to bother with messing around hoping to secure the bigscreen from the ceiling. But that's just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help guys! :thumbup:

·
Premium Member
1,258 Posts
Just becareful of the quality of LCD you get. I sell Fujitsu LCD and Plasmas for a living. The stock Nissan 7" wide LCD is a good quality one. Meaning wide viewing angle, fast response time, high NITS(meaning it's bright with good contrast)
There are not many aftermarket displays that are as good. I'll post some pictures of the OEM 7" and some aftermarket 7" side by side running off the same video signal. The difference is obvious side by side.

7" is too small but as large as you can go without blocking out your rear view mirror. The ideal place is between the seats from 10.2" THis way you can still see out back and more at normal viewing height instead of looking up.

A top of the line LCD monitor has the following specs:
- 25ms response time
- 160 degree viewing angle
- 400:1 contrast ratio
- 250 nits or cd/m2

The best way to pick a monitor before you buy for you car is to view it with lots of backlight, move side to side and picture should not change brightness much, (don't worry about up and down vertical) and the contrast is good. Meaning the blacks are black. This is important because is contrast is low, all the colors wash together and the picture is a strain on your eyes.

Practically, flip down 10.2" or twin 7" headrest monitors are the ideal way to go. But LCD monitor quality is the single most important factor.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts