Nissan Armada & Infiniti QX56 Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
61 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I'm thinking of getting one for my 09 Armada, looked at couple of brands Gibson and Magnaflow. Which one would you recommend?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
I have a Magnaflow 22 incher and love it and there was a drone around 1600 rpm but zoomers cannon tip fixed that. If your is 07 or newer than exhaust pipes size is good for muffler swap and produce best performance for the buck. Our sponsor Burtman has anything you want and fast delivery.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
I've got an 04 LE and just had a JBA catback installed this past weekend. From looking at the pipes during the install:

- JBA Y pipes are 2.5" that merge into a 3" collector connecting to the rest of the exhaust(muffler/tailpipe) which is 3" all the way through, with the exception of the exhaust tip which is about 3.5".

- the 04 LE Y pipes were smaller in diameter, possibly 2" or 2.25". The muffler inlet/outlet looked the same. Looking at the tailpipe, its possible they went 2.5" but I'll measure it just to be exact since its still in my backyard.

·
Premium Member
124 Posts
07 armadas have bigger diameter pipes I think around 2.5 inch better performace with just swap muffler and its dual in and single out 3 inch.

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
Im working on getting a Banks monster on my truck

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
This diagram is from www.courtesynissanparts.com, which illustrates the
04-06 catback exhaust

If you look at where the "Y" pipe is, the catback pipes merges 2 to 1 via the "Y" pipe into the muffler. From whats been said, the newer 07-current armadas have increased diameter in the exhaust system throughout, and the catback pipes run to the muffler 2 into 1, no merge collector/Y pipe.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
I have 2 questions then.

1) If you install just the muffler on a pre-07 mada will you see any power gains worth while of the muffler swap? Will the power gains be similar to the post-07 models?
2) Does it make sense for the pre-07s to convert to the new set-up and will they experience any power gains just by doing the swap? Or does it make sense just to build one from scratch?

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
I have 2 questions then.

1) If you install just the muffler on a pre-07 mada will you see any power gains worth while of the muffler swap? Will the power gains be similar to the post-07 models?
2) Does it make sense for the pre-07s to convert to the new set-up and will they experience any power gains just by doing the swap? Or does it make sense just to build one from scratch?

To answer these to the best of my knowledge:

1) Installing a high flow muffler on any stock system can possibly gain some HP but nothing impressive. Remember, the muffler is just one piece of the exhaust system. The 04-06 models have smaller piping, 2"-2.25" and installing a muffler will probably be more noise than actual HP gains similar to post-07 models with the better exhaust flow due to larger diameter exhaust piping used.

2) Personally, I would never install an OEM exhaust system to replace a prior one unless it was my only option. Most OEM exhaust systems use aluminized steel which evenutally rusts; it just cost less to manufacture and replace.

For our armadas, there are plenty of options to go with for a complete exhaust system, either stainless steel or aluminized(which I don't recommend) . From JBA, Volant, Banks, Gibson, Magnaflow, they've proven to yield in impressive HP numbers.

Before I went out and bought the JBA, I priced out a custom build from the only muffler shop in NY that does mandrel bends, along with using stainless steel piping. Lets just say the JBA ss catback system still cost $200 less even with shipping over the custom build.

·
Premium Member
84 Posts
So when you buy the aftermarket catback system from any of those companies you listed the tubing will be bigger from the Y-Pipe to the tip?

I thought I read on the Titan forum that going bigger diameter on the tubes was bad.

·
Premium Member
2,737 Posts
It all depends how big you go. because if you go 3" you could lose back pressure and then you lose HP.

·
Premium Member
1,208 Posts
So when you buy the aftermarket catback system from any of those companies you listed the tubing will be bigger from the Y-Pipe to the tip?
I thought I read on the Titan forum that going bigger diameter on the tubes was bad.
It all depends how big you go. because if you go 3" you could lose back pressure and then you lose HP.

Backpressure is just as important as to having a less restrictive exhaust system. For the 5.6L in our suvs, 3" piping is the maximum you would want to have. If you notice, JBA, Volant, Gibson includes a Y pipe, but the diameter of the Y pipe tubing is only 2.5" that merge into a 3" collector. Although Gibson stays 2.5" and has a resonator before the muffler; that is why Gibson is know to have minimal drone out of all the exhaust systems out there. But all of them have 3" piping from the muffler out and all have yielded HP gains respectively.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts